Windows 10: Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

Discus and support Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I have an older PC that only supports 802.11n WiFi which doesn't allow me to connect to my router 5.0ghz band using Windows 10. If I buy a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/misidoro, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

Hello,

I have an older PC that only supports 802.11n WiFi which doesn't allow me to connect to my router 5.0ghz band using Windows 10.

If I buy a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) adapter, will it work in Windows 10 with WiFi 5 routers (5.0ghz band) or do they only work with new Wifi 6 routers and I have to buy a WiFi 5 adapter?

By the other way, if I have a Wifi 5 adapter or a 802.11 AC (WiFi 5) network card, will it work with WiFi 6 routers (even if they don't take advantage of all router capabilities)?

Thanks, Miguel

submitted by /u/misidoro
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/misidoro, Aug 7, 2020
  2. theonedub Win User

Using spare Router as Wifi Adapter

I've got this DIR-655 that is collecting dust and I also happen to need a Wifi N adapter for my PC. I remember a long time ago (using DDWRT) I was able to use an older LinkSys router a a Wifi adapter- basically I would plug in a computer, DVR box, and a PS3 into the LAN ports on the router which is then connected to the main router through its Wifi.

I'm 95% sure that my previous setup essentially used the second router a a repeater, but I do not think the DIR655 supports that function and it is not DDWRT compatible. Is there a way for me to rig the hardware I have now to get this working? I know its probably easier to just buy a N adapter, but I figure there is no point in wasting what I already have.

Thanks,

theonedub, Aug 7, 2020
  3. WiFi 6 Questions

Performed a number of upgrades over the past few days...

I upgraded the 512GB NVMe SSD in my laptop to a 1TB Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD, replaced the WiFi 5 adapter in the laptop with a WiFi 6 adapter, and replaced my router with a pair ASUS WiFi "AiMesh" units.

Everything is up and working but there are a few things related to WiFi 6 that I'm trying to understand and figure out. If there is anyone out there with some WiFi 6 experience, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

NOTE: Before reading further, I just want to emphasize that I am not experiencing any problems. In fact, the opposite is true. I see greatly improved performance. My goal here is to better understand how Windows shows and reports WiFi information and to locate a WiFi analysis tool that understands WiFi 6.

Question 1: With WiFi 5, I was used to seeing the maximum connection speed as 866 Mbps as in the screenshot below.

Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5) [​IMG]

With WiFi 6 I'm seeing the same thing but I had expected that I would see a higher speed. However, with WiFi 6 I notice one difference: In the second screenshot below, note that my WiFi SSID is "Proper-5G" but Windows shows "Proper-5G 2" (note the added "2" at the end).

Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5) [​IMG]

After thinking about this a while, I have a theory, I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this:

My theory is that the "2" indicates that I have 2 simultaneous 5 Ghz connections to the router. The reason that the connection speed shows no faster than it did with WiFi 5 is that I am still connecting at 866 Mbps, BUT, that I have 2 such connections simultaneously.

Does this sound correct or am I completely misunderstanding this?

Question 2: There are number of utilities available from the Microsoft Store that perform WiFi analysis, doing things such as showing your connection and all the bands and network IDs in use in the area. However, not one of the utilities I found seems to be WiFi 6 aware. Anyone know of any decent WiFi analysis tools that support WiFi 6?

Other Details:

Windows version: Win 10 Pro 1909 with all the latest Microsoft updates.
    WiFi adapter installed in laptop: Intel AX200
    Router: Pair of ASUS RT-AX92U Wireless AX6100 Tri Band routers in a mesh configuration.

hsehestedt, Aug 7, 2020
  4. S_and_S Win User

Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

Wifi Adapter

Here are several methods:

• Look in the user guide - see if 5 GHz WiFi is mentioned.
    • Find that model on the manufacturer's website - see if the manufacturer advertises 5 GHz capability.
    • Look for independent reviews of your model - the reviewer will certainly mention if the adapter supports 5 GHz

If none of those provide the answer, I can suggest many more ways to find out.

S_and_S, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

1. Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5) - Similar Threads - Wifi adapter compatibility

2. Wifi 6 Laptop disconnects after 5-10 mins

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi 6 Laptop disconnects after 5-10 mins: I have a new Laptop that have Wifi 6 adapter and disconnects from the wifi every 5-10 mins. Any resolutions ypu can provide? I already updated the wifi driver, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, Done Network reset, reboot and reset the router....
  3. Wifi 6 Laptop disconnects after 5-10 mins

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi 6 Laptop disconnects after 5-10 mins: I have a new Laptop that have Wifi 6 adapter and disconnects from the wifi every 5-10 mins. Any resolutions ypu can provide? I already updated the wifi driver, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, Done Network reset, reboot and reset the router....
  4. IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz not using wifi 6 instead of 5?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz not using wifi 6 instead of 5?: I just realized that I have been using wifi 5 802.11ac instead of wifi 6 802.11ax while my laptop is IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz,I checked it in device manager and selected value 4. 802.11ax, but it still showing that I am using wifi 5 802.11ac in setting.So how can I switch...
  5. IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz not using wifi 6 instead of 5?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz not using wifi 6 instead of 5?: I just realized that I have been using wifi 5 802.11ac instead of wifi 6 802.11ax while my laptop is IntelR Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz,I checked it in device manager and selected value 4. 802.11ax, but it still showing that I am using wifi 5 802.11ac in setting.So how can I switch...
  6. Wifi Adapter Disconnecting from Wifi Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter Disconnecting from Wifi Router: Hello Guys, My pc is around 5 years old, recently I started having cut outs in my wifi connection. I have comcast but since the modem is far away, I use a network card to connect to the router. The router I use is NetGear R6250 its an AC compatible router or wifi 5 as now...
  7. HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins

HP Envy 6 WiFi Drops from 5 mins to 5 mins: Hi guys, My HP Envy 6 laptop's WiFi connection is dropping from around 5 mins to 5 mins. I have to reconnect it manually each time. I suspect this might be an outdated driver issue. I'm aware Windows 10 isn't officially supported for my model and there aren't any win10...
  8. 5 GHZ Wifi not working, Wifi adapter appears but connects and disconnects from the wifi...

5 GHZ Wifi not working, Wifi adapter appears but connects and disconnects from the wifi...: I have this problem with every wifi adapter i tried, and on my other PC my current adapter works perfectly. I bought this adapter 3 weeks ago and this problem started 2 days ago, however i had it on previous adapters. Changing the Wireless mod property in device manager to...
  9. WiFi Connection 5 ghz problem--

WiFi Connection 5 ghz problem--: my Dell Inspiron 3521 computer running Windows 10 with a DW WLan card does not connect to my 5 GHZ network. It connects to my 2.4 GHz and does not show my 5GHZ....
  10. With certain wifi router, if I connect I get 5 pings that is it.

With certain wifi router, if I connect I get 5 pings that is it.: So my house has 2 routers, one a slower older one, and one a newer faster one with N and 5Ghz. If I connect to new one, I can't access the internet, but I can if I connect to the slower one. Connecting to the slower isn't really an option because it is in the other side of...