Windows 10: WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep

Discus and support WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I know this issue has been raised a couple of times and I have read most of the troubleshooting provided on other forums but to no avail. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jan YvanForbile, Aug 31, 2020.

1. WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep

Hello,

I know this issue has been raised a couple of times and I have read most of the troubleshooting provided on other forums but to no avail. I would like to raise this issue again with hopes of finding solutions.

Issue: When waking up from sleep, Wifi is disconnected. Checked in NCPA.CPL network connections that WiFi adapter has disappeared. Wasn't able to check in device manager. User have to restart to fix issue.

Laptop: Surface Laptop 3

Network Adapter: Intelr wi-fi 6 ax201 160MHz

Windows version 2004

Network Adapters List:

WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep 302f191f-19ba-4364-b2f1-d2d61e874ee0?upload=true.jpg

What we've done so far..

1. Checked that the Network adapter doesn't have the Power Management Tab.

WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep 8590e045-60ff-4dc3-ad45-1c85b768ed63?upload=true.jpg

2. Checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power and found out that it doesn't have CsEnabled DWORD. Created CsEnabled and set it to 0. Restarted but nothing happened. Still no Power Management Tab

3. No Wireless Adapter settings in Power Options.

4. Updated the driver. Asked user to test if this solved the problem but it didn't. WiFi still disconnects after sleep.

5. Reinstalled Driver -- still waiting for update from user

6. Surface support suggested the following:

a. Restore the power plan to default settings. Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Restore default settings for this plan.

- Still waiting for update

b. Please try to go to Settings > Power & Sleep > Network Connection > Select Never as an option for "when PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network".

- The laptop doesn't have this option.

Please help on this.

:)

Jan YvanForbile, Aug 31, 2020
  2. kentosan Win User

Wifi adapter disappears after sleep

Thanks for replying.

@Spirit MS MVP - This is the reason wifi is disabled when the computer goes into sleep mode. When I untick the "Allow computer to turn off the device to save power" and place the computer into sleep mode, the wifi adapter disappears. If i recheck it, and
    put the computer to sleep, the wifi adapter does not get uninstalled.

@Andre - First solution does not work because the adapter does not exist and is not listed in the Device Manager.

Second solution doesnt work because the adapter is not listed in Troubleshooting. I tried troubleshooting all adapters and nothing was returned.

Third solution again does not work because the adapter is not there to uninstall.

The wireless driver/adapter disappears after restarting from sleep mode when the adapter's ""Allow computer to turn off device to save power" setting is unchecked.

kentosan, Aug 31, 2020
  3. Wake up from sleep with Microsoft AC Adapter

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern to restart the laptop from sleep mode when connected to AC power adapter.

Please be informed us if you are facing any problem with while waking the computer from sleep mode.

I suggest you to update the drivers for AC power adapter from
    Device Manager and check if it helps.

Steps :

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand AC Power Adapter.
    • Right on the W and click on Update driver software.

If the drivers are updated, you will not have the option to Update Driver Software.

Step 2: If that does not fix the issue, please reinstall the display adapter drivers.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Display adapter.

• Right-click on the Display adapter
      that is listed and click “Uninstall”.

Restart the computer and download, install the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 31, 2020
  4. WG9
    WG9 Win User

WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep

Wifi adapter disappears - goes 'hidden'

Running Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. Over the past month, the wifi connection dropped without explanation/warning.

First time, the adapter was visible in Device Manager (with a yellow triangle next to it). An interent search found the suggestion to uninstall it and restart. That worked.

Today, the connection dropped again. In Device Manager at first I could not see the wifi adapter listed. I clicked to see hidden devices and found the adapter and the Bluetooth (which I had not noticed was missing).

I again uninstalled, restarted, and both the wifi and bluetooth have returned.

Anyone any ideas as to what is happening, why it's happening, and what I need to do, please?

I have attached a screenshot of the DM windows as it is now, showing the wifi adapter name, etc.

Thanks very much

WG

Thema:

WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep

1. WiFi Adapter disappears after waking up from Sleep - Similar Threads - WiFi Adapter disappears

2. Wifi unavailable after laptop wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi unavailable after laptop wakes up from sleep: Asus Rog Strix, Recently updated to windows 11. Every single time my computer goes to sleep, upon waking it up, there is no wifi networks available or connected. If i restart my machine it is able to reconnect to wifi no problem. Drivers are up to date, but i don't have any...
  3. Wifi unavailable after laptop wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi unavailable after laptop wakes up from sleep: Asus Rog Strix, Recently updated to windows 11. Every single time my computer goes to sleep, upon waking it up, there is no wifi networks available or connected. If i restart my machine it is able to reconnect to wifi no problem. Drivers are up to date, but i don't have any...
  4. WIfi adapter is missing suddenly from lenovo laptop after waking up from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIfi adapter is missing suddenly from lenovo laptop after waking up from sleep.: Everything was fine. I didn't change any settings i put my laptop into sleep mode and i open it after half an hour and the network wifi adapter is gone it says could not get enough power when i looked into event viewer. Please, help me to fix this laptop name is Lenovo.the...
  5. WIfi adapter is missing suddenly from lenovo laptop after waking up from sleep.

WIfi adapter is missing suddenly from lenovo laptop after waking up from sleep.: Everything was fine. I didn't change any settings i put my laptop into sleep mode and i open it after half an hour and the network wifi adapter is gone it says could not get enough power when i looked into event viewer. Please, help me to fix this laptop name is Lenovo.the...
  6. Wi-Fi disappears after waking laptop up from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi disappears after waking laptop up from Sleep: Background: I'm using Windows 11 Educational Edition on Dell Vostro 14-3468 Machine.Before that, I used to face the same problem on Windows 10 and it's irritating me for almost 4-5 months.Question: Suppose I am working on my laptop and it's working fine including internet...
  7. Wi-Fi disappears after waking laptop up from Sleep

Wi-Fi disappears after waking laptop up from Sleep: Background: I'm using Windows 11 Educational Edition on Dell Vostro 14-3468 Machine.Before that, I used to face the same problem on Windows 10 and it's irritating me for almost 4-5 months.Question: Suppose I am working on my laptop and it's working fine including internet...
  8. Wifi Adapter Disappeared After Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter Disappeared After Sleep: My wifi was working fine recently, I had no power supply so it was running low on battery. Right around when the battery was around 10-20%, I decided to put it on sleep for a few hours until I get power supply. So after a few hours, I opened the system and the wifi was gone....
  9. After waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After waking up from sleep: After waking up from sleep, how do I require a password sign-in. I don't want anyone to wake up my computer and see my desktop. Want to require my password to be entered to get access....
  10. Wifi adapter disappears after sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi adapter disappears after sleep: Hi, My wifi adapter "Broadcom 802.11ac Wireless Adapter" disappears after I put the computer to sleep. This is resolved if I restart the computer. It only happens when I uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I did this because my wifi...