Windows 10: Wifi adapter no longer supported in Hyper-V virtual switch

Discus and support Wifi adapter no longer supported in Hyper-V virtual switch in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have succesfully used a Hyper-V virtual switch connected to the wireless adapter in my laptop. All my VM's could access my LAN independently, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by BartZorn, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BartZorn Win User

Wifi adapter no longer supported in Hyper-V virtual switch

I have succesfully used a Hyper-V virtual switch connected to the wireless adapter in my laptop. All my VM's could access my LAN independently, and could get an ip address from the DHCP server. This means, AFAIK, that my wireless adapter can and does opererate in promiscuous mode.

This worked up to build 10586. Today, I upgraded to build 11102, and this setup no longer works. It appears that wifi adapters are simply not supported with Hyper-V virtual switches. Bummer.

When you try to configure a wifi adapter in a virtual switch, it is not simply grayed out, or otherwise made impossible, but it tries to go ahead and then gives an error message (see attachment)

This does not make sense. There is no other bridge or switch configured.

I found two work-arounds:

- configure the wired ethernet adapter to the virtual switch, and create a bridge connection between the wired and the wifi adapters. For me this does not work, because I get an other error trying to create the bridge connection, which I will report in an other thread.

- use ICS. This works, but has the huge disadvantage of having a NAT layer between the VM's and the rest of my network.

Has anyone experimented with this, too?

Bart

:)

BartZorn, Jan 27, 2016

2. Windows 10 Hyper V Cable Unplugged

I just upgraded to windows 10 Pro, and having a problem with my hyper V.

1. in the network adapter settings, just like how it supposed to be, there are 4 adapter which are : Ethernet, Microsoft network Bridge, Wifi, and Vethernet. however the Vethernet is not connected as usual. it says "cable unplugged"

2. in hyperV manager, Virtual switch manager, there are no virtual switch created yet.

3. when trying to create a new virtual switch, an error shows up, "switch create failed, name = D021....., friendly name = 'new virtual switch': invalid class string (0x800401F3).

4. there is a yellow exclamation mark in device manager on the hyper V virtual switch extension adapter.

what I have done :

1. go to windows program features, uncheck the Hyper - V so it would reinstall. (however after reboot and windows start to removing the hyper V, it failed and said "undoing changes".)

3. tried to create a new virtual switch (error 0x800401F3)

2. go to device manager and scan for hardware changes (nothing happened)

stephenkenneth, Jan 27, 2016
  3. RobDev Win User
    Internet Explorer (and Edge) "can't find this page" for some web sites

Hi Robert,

no, it's not. According to the Hyper-V Manager, I've only got two Virtual Switches; Microsoft Emulator NAT Switch and Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch, both are marked as internal. My internet access, via the Ethernet port, is provided by a Realtek
    PCIe GBE Family Controller. I've also got two other Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet adapters showing up among my Network Connections but they are both marked as disabled.

Kind regards,

RobDev, Jan 27, 2016
  4. BartZorn Win User

I am now at build 14257. I am still not able to create a virtual switch which connects to my wireless adapter.

Bart

BartZorn, Feb 5, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Sorry I can't help you - but I'd like to re-iterate that with the latest 802.11ac Wifi standards one should be able to get comparable to LAN speeds - with no messy wires all over the place so it seems to be a total stupidity to not provide Wifi support for HYPER-V.

I'm sure even large businesses would be glad to get rid of LAN cables all over the place if the Wifi connections were fast enough.

I hope that it's a glitch in your HYPER-V installation rather than ms removing Wifi support in HYPER-V. Wifi should now in general be superceeding fixed LAN.

Cheers
    jimbo

I

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2016
  6. BartZorn Win User
    Thanks for your comments.

I am not so sure that wireless technologies will take over wired any time soon. Especially server systems, which generally do not walk around, will be kept wired.

Remember: wireless is a shared medium, all users content for access to it. It is like Ethernet from 30 years ago. Modern wired technology is not shared, each client has direct and exclusive access to its own switch port.

Regards,

Bart

BartZorn, Feb 10, 2016
  7. Shakya Win User
    I have tried methods including bridging and ICS, and have never ended up with a setup exactly like when using a normal wired Ethernet connection on the Virtual Switch, where I have both a) Internet access for the Hyper-V client, and b) the Hyper-V client able to access the host, other computers on the network, network printers, etc. All solutions gave me one or the other of the two above capabilities. Yet I found a simple work around: I gave up on getting it to work with my computer's wireless card and bought a cheap WIFI-to-Ethernet adapter. It's like a USB -WIFI adapter except instead of plugging into a USB port, it plugs into an Ethernet port.The usual use for these gadgets is to give WIFI access to something like an older DVD player that has only an Ethernet port but no built-in-WIFI. But it works great for a computer too. As far as your computer is concerned you are connecting via Ethernet not WIFI and via your usual Ethernet port, so a normal Hyper-V Virtual Switch setup for an Ethernet connection works fine. When at home I plug my computer into real Ethernet. When out, I take this little "fake Ethernet" device. It's easy to set up - supports 2.4Gz B,G,N. You just reset it (thus forgetting the last WIFI network), plug it into your Ethernet port, launch a browser, and you are forced to its setup page where you select the local WIFI SSID and enter the password. After that, you can browse the Internet from both your host machine and your Hyper-V client. When using this, the device itself receives an IP address via DHCP, and allows your computer to get a separate IP address via DHCP. My adapter is a $24 Netgear WNCE2001, but it's not made anymore and if you find one it will cost around $100. But IOGear makes a $32 model GWU627 "Ethernet-To-WIFI" adapter, which sounds like it's backwards from what we want, but the description and manual implies it's same functionality as my gizmo. Also for $19.89, VONETS VAP11G-300 Wireless Portable Wifi Repeater/Bridge/AP. These all need power, come with both wall plug and USB power cable.

Shakya, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wifi adapter no longer supported in Hyper-V virtual switch - Similar Threads - Wifi adapter longer

2. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  3. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  4. Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues: I have multiple VMs that work very well but I am trying to limit some of them to accessing my internal network only but I have been unable to find a way to do that. The Default Switch simply doesn't allow access to my internal network and when I set the Virtual Switch that I...
  5. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network: I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine...
  6. Hyper-V error when creating virtual switch.

Hyper-V error when creating virtual switch.: Hi this is my first post but I am really confused as to an issue with hyper-V Whenever I go to open the virtual switch manager, it says; The operation on computer 'DESKTOP-V1A0142' failed: Generic error. Is there anyway to fix this. I have not yet created any switches...
  7. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  8. Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch: I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch. [img] I tried running Hyper-V with as admin without success. Kevin 43133
  9. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch: After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection? 83247
  10. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...