Windows 10: WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer

Discus and support WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask but I don’t know what else to do. I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 10 that has been working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/randomperson722, May 27, 2020.

1. WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask but I don’t know what else to do.

I have an ASUS laptop with Windows 10 that has been working fine for over a year, but tonight it wouldn’t let me connect to the internet and it said there was a driver or hardware problem with the WiFi adapter. I used a different computer to download updated drivers and put them on my laptop, but that still didn’t work. I restarted my computer multiple times and that didn’t work either. I shut down my laptop and turned it back on about 20 minutes later and it worked again. However, I left it idle for a few minutes and when it went turned back on after going to sleep it had stopped working again. Also, if it’s working and I restart my computer, it doesn’t work unless I completely shut the computer down again.

I really don’t know what to do, but if anyone has any tips or advice I would appreciate it so much. I am a college student in the middle of summer classes and remote research and I need my laptop all the time. Thanks WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer :)

submitted by /u/randomperson722
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/randomperson722, May 27, 2020

2. New computer setup wifi not working

I am trying to set up a new Lenovo IdeaCentre A540 Series all-in-one running Windows 10 Home. When it was walking through the initial setup, it detected several nearby WiFi networks. I had a problem getting the mouse connected and was not able to set the WiFi network. It was turned off and back on and then, upon getting back to that step, did not detect any WiFi. In Network and Internet settings it has no WiFi adapter listed and no WiFi options anywhere. I did make sure network discovery was turned on and I checked in Device Manager that the network adapter was enabled, but it doesn’t show up anywhere but in Device Manager.

Under Network Properties, it does list WiFi and says “Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter”, status not present and connectivity disconnected. Under Device Manager I don’t see that adapter, it shows “Realtek PCle GbE Family Controller”, which appears to be the Ethernet adapter maybe? and a variety of WAN Miniports.

I’ve pretty much maxed out my knowledge here and I can’t find this exact issue when I search, so any advice would be much appreciated. Trying to help my stepdad set up to work from home during the pandemic...

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, now it's working. I realized I could show hidden devices in Device Manager, so I found the wireless adapter there. It was showing as not connected, so I shut down and dragged everything to another room and connected an ethernet cable, whereupon the wireless adapter started working perfectly. Maybe it was turning it off and back on the third time that worked, who knows...

Courtnet85, May 27, 2020
  3. WG9
    WG9 Win User
    Wifi adapter disappears - goes 'hidden'

Running Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. Over the past month, the wifi connection dropped without explanation/warning.

First time, the adapter was visible in Device Manager (with a yellow triangle next to it). An interent search found the suggestion to uninstall it and restart. That worked.

Today, the connection dropped again. In Device Manager at first I could not see the wifi adapter listed. I clicked to see hidden devices and found the adapter and the Bluetooth (which I had not noticed was missing).

I again uninstalled, restarted, and both the wifi and bluetooth have returned.

Anyone any ideas as to what is happening, why it's happening, and what I need to do, please?

I have attached a screenshot of the DM windows as it is now, showing the wifi adapter name, etc.

Thanks very much

WG

4. Zontir Win User

WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer

Problems when sharing WiFi with the Virtual Adapter

For many years I have always shared Internet to my devices like phone and tablet with my PC's WiFi antenna through the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, I only use it for that, since I have a cable connection, and I start the wifi with the command NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork previously having done the settings of NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="Wifi" key="password".

For my devices to connect it is necessary that the Virtual Adapter that is created with that command has access to the Internet, for this I have to share the Internet from my Ethernet adapter to the Virtual Wifi adapter.

For some time now (a couple of months) I've been experiencing problems when sharing the Internet through that medium. The problem is that when I start the WiFi my devices do not connect, they say "Getting IP address" and never connect.

I have found the solution and I have to do the following:

1. Disable the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan stop hostednetwork.
    2. Remove the connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter.
    3. Activate the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork.
    4. Adding connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter to the Virtual Adapter again.

By doing these steps my devices can now be connected to the Wifi, but sometimes it doesn't work if I do these steps too quickly. I have noticed that if I do step 3 and 4 too quickly it does not work and I have to repeat the process but doing these last two steps more slowly, until the Virtual Adapter gets an IP address 192.168.137.1 from Internet Protocol version 4

Also this problem does not occur 100% of the time. Sometimes when I run the command to start the Wifi everything happens fine and my devices connect well but this only works after my PC has been on for at least 5 minutes (I haven't counted it). If I run the command as soon as my PC has turned on then it doesn't work anymore.

As I mentioned before this problem didn't occur before because I had configured a .bat file that ran as soon as the PC was turned on with the NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork command and everything worked fine.

Now, I would like to go back to before when everything was fine so that when my PC starts up the WiFi too and I don't have to do all this protocol all the time, but with a simple command everything is solved.

Could someone give me a hand with this?

Zontir, May 27, 2020
Thema:

WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer

1. WiFi Adapter Only Works After Shutting Down Computer - Similar Threads - WiFi Adapter Works

2. Computer not shutting down after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not shutting down after update: For context: I have a HP Spectre laptop that is currently running Windows 11. Last night, I tried the ole “update and shut down” before going to bed. I kept the laptop open and monitored progress as I was getting ready for bed. I believe updates were about 70% installed as I...
  3. Computer not shutting down after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not shutting down after update: For context: I have a HP Spectre laptop that is currently running Windows 11. Last night, I tried the ole “update and shut down” before going to bed. I kept the laptop open and monitored progress as I was getting ready for bed. I believe updates were about 70% installed as I...
  4. Computer shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer shut down: HelloI had downloaded AMD graphic and my computer started acting up. It would shutdown within 5 min.I managed to uninstall amd graphics.Then I was doing an reset of the computer. But at 36% it automatically shut down .Please help me what should I do?...
  5. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  6. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  7. Wifi+Bluetooth adapter will only work as a Bluetooth adapter after Windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi+Bluetooth adapter will only work as a Bluetooth adapter after Windows 10 update.: The adapter was working fine before the update but after the update it didn't show any wifi networks. The device appears as Bluetooth adapter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifibluetooth-adapter-will-only-work-as-a/9fc504d9-7144-478c-99a6-326a401baab2
  8. Shut down working only after 10 min

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down working only after 10 min: I've just built my Pc and installed a new copy of windows on it, it's activated and has all updates till this day but still for some reason when I'm shutting down computer for the night, it eventually shuts himself down but only after 5-10minutes from the point I'll press the...
  9. Shut down working only after 10 min

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down working only after 10 min: I've just built my Pc and installed a new copy of windows on it, it's activated and has all updates till this day but still for some reason when I'm shutting down computer for the night, it eventually shuts himself down but only after 5-10minutes from the point I'll press the...
  10. Computer shutting down after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shutting down after updates: My windows 10 computer is shutting down after it updates. I have to turn the computer off manually and back on again to get it to boot up. What's happening and is there a way to fix this...