Windows 10: WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet"

Discus and support WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have updated my Thinkpad E570 with Windows May 2020 update. Since that update, I am getting "No Internet" message for my WiFi and Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Karm Patel, Jun 22, 2020.

1. WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet"

Hello,

I have updated my Thinkpad E570 with Windows May 2020 update. Since that update, I am getting "No Internet" message for my WiFi and Ethernet connection though I am always connected to the internet. Because of this issue, I am unable to remote desktop my home PC. I am unable to connect/sync my OneNote. I also can not search, install, update any app in Windows Store.

I tried following option to solve this, but getting failure in every step.

1. "Network Reset" from Windows Settings

2. Updated both network drivers

3. Uninstall and re-install all the network drivers

4. Using adapter settings, disable and re-enable both adapters

5. From device manager, uninstall and re-install both the devices

6. Used external WiFi USB but encountered with the same issue

Please help me with this issue.

Thank you,

Karm.

:)

Karm Patel, Jun 22, 2020

2. Internet Connection

• Community

I was not able to work on this issue yesterday ( busy for a 90 year old). This evening I was able to take the steps that were suggested in your email.

When I use “Device Manager” I click “ Network Adapters” I see “ Wifi” but not Eternet in this list. On the “Settings” I click “Wifi” which shows the “On' button.
    I click” Show available networks”. I wanted to capture the page that is shown, but it will not show. The top line is Network ( connected) but course I have the Ethernet cable connected. Also showing Is Five “ Broadband connections” At the bottom is
    “ Network and Internet settings” I hope for your continued help.

georgefrtsch, Jun 22, 2020
  3. srdavis Win User
    Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Jun 22, 2020
  4. coffent Win User

WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet"

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet"

1. WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet" - Similar Threads - WiFi Ethernet are

2. Ethernet connected but showing no internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet connected but showing no internet: Ethernet wire is connected but showing no internet please help to connect internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connected-but-showing-no-internet/b9274f08-b1d0-4266-a939-f5fa01993508
  3. Ethernet connected but showing no internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet connected but showing no internet: Ethernet wire is connected but showing no internet please help to connect internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-connected-but-showing-no-internet/b9274f08-b1d0-4266-a939-f5fa01993508
  4. Ethernet adapter connection shows "no internet"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet adapter connection shows "no internet": I've been using Wi fi for my internet connection with no problem. However, after not using the ethernet connection for a long time, I just tried to use the ethernet connection and it indicates "no internet." I would like to be able to switch the connection to the wired...
  5. Laptop connects to internet with Wifi, but not ethernet

Laptop connects to internet with Wifi, but not ethernet: Hello, I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution, but I can't find one. My issue is that I can connect to my network and internet perfectly fine with wifi, but when I connect my ethernet cable into my laptop's port, it will show me the correct SSID name for...
  6. Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet

Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet: Sony Vaio FW Series laptop running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I am not able to connect to Wifi network or using Ethernet cable. Error Message while connecting to wifi network - Can't connect to this network. I have tried reinstalling Windows 10, resetting wifi adapter...
  7. will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet

will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet: Hello, my windows 10 computer was fine and running well, now suddenly after I moved it will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet. I've replaced my WiFi card and the old one (only about a year old) works perfectly in another computer. When I run the diagnostic it tells me...
  8. Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet

Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet: Hi, I am trying to share an internet connection from a Windows 10 Laptop to a device that cannot access a Username/Password secured WiFi Network. However I cannot seem to stop the Ethernet Connection from automatically turning the WiFi off. I have tried changing the...
  9. connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi

connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi: Hello. I have three Dell XPS PCs connected via a Verizon Actiontec router to each other and to the internet, all running Windows 10 (two preinstalled, one upgraded from Windows 7). All connect fine to the internet via Ethernet and wifi, but they can only see/connect to each...
  10. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...