Windows 10: WiFi and ethernet together

Discus and support WiFi and ethernet together in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteveS801, Aug 22, 2015.

1. SteveS801 Win User

WiFi and ethernet together

I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access the internet through one of these, up to my bandwidth limit, but that's not what I mean.

I'd like to access the internet through my WiFi connection, yet have a wired connection through my router to access the files on the other computers in my house. Is this even possible?

:)

SteveS801, Aug 22, 2015

2. No wifi / ethernet menu

Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded my lenovo laptop (y510P) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

After this upgrade was installed in tried to connect to internet but then I encountered a problem.

My laptop didn't automatically connect to wifi and there was also no response when the ethernet cable was inserted.

In the sub menu 'Network & Internet' the header 'Wi-Fi' and the header 'Ethernet' are both missing.

This means it will not connect to the internet.

While running windows 8.1 I had no such problems.

Does anyone know what to do??

No wifi and ethernet, Aug 22, 2015
  3. No wifi on windows 10 recent instal

I recently put together a PC with windows 10. I started it up thinking everything was working well. It was until I tried to connect to wifi. There is no wifi notification to be seen under on the toolbar. The network icon takes me to the network and sharing
    center where there is no wifi tab on the left pane. So here is what I have done...

-Made sure that my network adapter is up to date

-Made sure my notifications were turned on

-Made sure that my adapter was enabled

-Tried troubleshooting

The troubleshooting just says that my Ethernet cable my be broken or disconnected, but I have no Ethernet cable to begin with. I want to connect to wifi, and I think that the reason why I can't connect is because my adapter is set to Ethernet when I need
    it to be wifi... I'm honestly not sure. I haven't been able to find a helpful thread so far on the forums. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

-thanks

SirPudwhip, Aug 22, 2015
  4. LVMan777 Win User

"...Theoretical speed versus actual speed

... Wi-Fi is very convenient, but it does not match the speed and reliability of wired Ethernet.

• ...though 802.11n can theoretically reach 300 Mb/s, a 100 Mb/s wired Ethernet connection will often outperform it in real-world usage, because wired Ethernet networks perform more closely to their theoretical limits and are less susceptible to outside influences..."
    • Transporter: Wi-Fi versus Ethernet performance

LVMan777, Aug 22, 2015
  5. SteveS801 Win User
    This doesn't answer my question...

SteveS801, Aug 22, 2015
  6. If all the computers are connected through the same router, then it's pointless since they are already on the same network. If they were two separate networks, i.e. one wireless and one wired, then you can create a network bridge. Just g
    oogle "network bridge" and the process is pretty similar from windows 7 on up.

sciencegeek, Aug 22, 2015
  7. SteveS801 Win User
    What I was hoping to do was to utilize my WiFi connection to access the internet and the wired connection to transfer files. Right now, I have to use one or the other to do both. Transferring files makes even checking email tedious.

SteveS801, Aug 22, 2015
  8. LVMan777 Win User

"...If all the computers are connected through the same router, then it's pointless..."

Wire the file computer....and use another with wifi to check mail

LVMan777, Aug 22, 2015
  9. LVMan777 Win User
    Yes It does....file transfer with a wired connection
    Use wifi ON ANOTHER COMPUTER to "check email"

LVMan777, Aug 22, 2015
  10. SteveS801 Win User
    In a perfect world, that would be a great solution. I am transferring files from MY computer to my wife's computer. I dislike using such a small screen, even for checking emails. I bought a 17" screen for a reason: I like a bigger monitor. As a matter of fact, I have 2 externals hooked up to my laptop as well. This is the computer I WANT to use. I do not want to use hers, simply put. Even if I were to use hers, The files are being transferred into her computer via the network and I would STILL get slow speeds.

If it's not possible, please say so. If you don't know whether it's possible or not, but you think maybe (or maybe not), say as much. I'm not looking for a workaround to my problem.

SteveS801, Aug 22, 2015
  11. Unfortunately, nothing I'm aware of will do what you want (at least not for normal consumers). If there was, I'd do the same thing as well. Even something like QoS wouldn't work that well for what you have in mind.

sciencegeek, Aug 22, 2015
  12. boluak Win User
    I understand your plight, in my case I want to access files on my NAS- mypassport wireless and also connect to internet and LAN through my wired Ethernet. It was possible in win 8, 8.1, I didn't even give it a thought. but now win 10 is stumping me.
    there are various posts across the internet, that claims to work, e.g changing from the default automatic metric to setting a specific metric for both interfaces, some reported it working, but didn't in my case. windows simply shuts down the wireless adapter and switches to the wired adaptor
    I'm still researching

boluak, Nov 6, 2015
  13. kgertsen Win User

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/f...over-wireless/

The above link describes how to use WiFi and Ethernet together where local file transfers use ethernet instead of wireless. It's for Windows 7 but I guess Windows 10 is the same or very similar.

I'm going to try it out now.

kgertsen, Aug 1, 2016
  14. boluak Win User
    Update on my last post:- IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE BOTH THE LAN AND WIFI CONNECTIONS AS THE SAME TIME.
    I have recently set up a desktop PC, with windows 10 pro. it has onboard wireless and LAN adapters, I have plugged in the LAN and I am also able to sign in on the wifi adapter. Thus both the WIFI and the LAN are working.
    I have not tried checking speeds or routes however.
    This was my original experience till I tried it on my Toshiba Portege laptop which will disconnect wifi on connection to LAN.

boluak, Aug 2, 2016
  15. I understand this post is a little late, but yes this is possible by modifying your local routing table. Easy peasy. Do some research on that subject and if you still can't figure it out you can find me at sysinfo.io –

DarkZealot, Dec 7, 2016
Thema:

1. WiFi and ethernet together - Similar Threads - WiFi ethernet together

2. No ethernet or wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No ethernet or wifi: Trying to install windows 11 pro on a new build, it has a Z790 AORUS ELITE X WIFI7 motherboard. Windows cannot see the ethernet or the wifi. I think I have installed the corrct drivers but still no luck....
  3. No ethernet or wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No ethernet or wifi: Trying to install windows 11 pro on a new build, it has a Z790 AORUS ELITE X WIFI7 motherboard. Windows cannot see the ethernet or the wifi. I think I have installed the corrct drivers but still no luck....
  4. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi together with cable connection: Hello,when is connected internet cable to pc, then wifi is disconnected.How can be possible to have both working networks cable+wifi paralelly that means not disconnect wifi, when cable is connected?...
  5. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi together with cable connection: Hello,when is connected internet cable to pc, then wifi is disconnected.How can be possible to have both working networks cable+wifi paralelly that means not disconnect wifi, when cable is connected?...
  6. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi and Ethernet

Wifi and Ethernet: How do I remove this ethernet icon from the wifi section? It is really annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-and-ethernet/b908fe79-6dc9-45a0-89eb-d65238dc5219
  8. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  9. wifi and ethernet

wifi and ethernet: my internet wifi router has builtin lan ports if i connect to it using both wifi and Ethernet cable will my download speed double another hypothetical question what if i has two wfi connections to internet and i connect to it using laptop builtin wife to one wifi network...
  10. red X on WiFi and Ethernet. All together with Bluetooth can't function, and enabling and...

red X on WiFi and Ethernet. All together with Bluetooth can't function, and enabling and...: Hallo. My computer; dell inspiron 5559 is run by Windows 10. So, 2 days ago abruptly Bluetooth, WiFi and Ethernet cable couldn’t be connected. I tried like every trick I can find on internet. Wi-Fi can’t be turned on manually, enabling and disabling connectors can’t be of any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wifi and ethernet together