Windows 10: Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers

Discus and support Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a new Windows 10 desktop which has been put on wifi for us. We were not happy with the layout of Windows Mail and put in Outlook on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zero2100, Jun 18, 2019.

1. zero2100 Win User

Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers

We have a new Windows 10 desktop which has been put on wifi for us. We were not happy with the layout of Windows Mail and put in Outlook on this computer and it has IMAP settings. We also have two our old Windows 7 computers - one is a desktop and the other is a laptop. They are set up with Pop3.

The Windows 7 DESKTOP is plugged into our modem, but the Windows 7 LAPTOP is not but we have always been able to access it when the Windows 7 desktop is on. We had it set via a Homegroup. We are able, at present, to reach our internet provider's webmail site if we want to pick up emails when on holiday at a cyber café; we do not have an iPhone or ipad, etc. or want these.

My questions are as following regarding us no longer wanting to use the two old Windows 7 computers. We want to unplug the Windows 7 desktop from the modem and wall socket and store both of the Windows computers. Therefore:

1) Should we plug the new Windows 10 which is on wifi into the modem or will this mess the wife connection up?
    2) If we should put it into the modem, would this mean we could not reach our ISP's webmail site as we would be using an IMAP email set up computer?
    3) If we do not plug the Windows 10 desktop into the modem, what do we do with the modem, i.e. how would the Windows 10 recognise wifi without a modem in use?

I am very confused about this and seek some advice. Please keep your answers simple as I am not that computer savvy and thank you in advance for any clarification you offer.

:)

zero2100, Jun 18, 2019
  2. CashComp Win User

Getting a new computer. Need a new Modem

So I'm getting a new computer this Christmas (yay parents...) but I dont have a wireless connection so I need a new modem. I have searched google everywhere to no avail, and Bellsouth SUCKS with customer support. So I decided to ask you guys. What would you suggest for the best modem for DSL within $20-$40?

CashComp, Jun 18, 2019
  3. windows7 WiFi wireless modem

Depending on exactly what your problem is, start by following these steps:

That usually means that the router you are connecting to recognizes that you are there, but has not accepted you as an approved user. That happens when the wifi password on your computer is not a match for the one required in
    the router.

One solution that frequently fixes this is to delete your network from your computer. Then have your computer recognize a new network (yours) and ask for the wifi password.

1. Start globe (bottom left)
    2. Control panel
    3. Network and Internet
    4. Network Sharing Centre
    5. Manage networks
    6. Find and remove your network

Try the icon in the system tray again (bottom right)

It should find the "new" network and ask for the wifi password.

Canadian Tech, Jun 18, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

NETGEAR Launches Two New Cable Modem Routers

NETGEAR, Inc., a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, is adding two new cable modem routers to its growing family of cable products: the N600 Dual-Band WiFi Cable Modem Router (C3700) and the N300 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C3000). These two-in-one devices integrate a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for faster Internet access and an N300/N600 high-speed 802.11n WiFi router together in one space-saving device. Supporting the NETGEAR genie app, the cable modem routers enable you to simplify installation and management while supercharging your cable Internet connection to enjoy smoother streaming of HD videos, movies and music, more responsive online gaming, and faster file downloads. After you set up one of these cable modem routers, you'll be able to take advantage of the new, faster broadband speeds that cable providers are offering while eliminating monthly modem rental fees from your cable bill.

The new cable modem routers integrate an 802.11n WiFi router with a built-in high-speed 8x4 CableLabs-certified DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. DOCSIS 3.0 is the next generation of Data Over Cable Services Interface Specification (DOCSIS), an international standard that enables cable operators to deliver significantly faster data speeds to your home. A DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 cable modem offers download speeds up to 340 Mbps*, eight times faster than the previous version, DOCSIS 2.0. Both of the two new cable modems support eight download and four upload channels simultaneously, which is ideal for HD video streaming, fast downloads, and high-speed online gaming.

Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers 48b_thm.jpg

Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers 48a_thm.jpg

"NETGEAR believes in offering a broad range of technology options for your home network so you can choose the one that best suits your needs," said Sandeep Harpalani, NETGEAR's director of product marketing for Retail Networking Products. "To that end, we are expanding our portfolio of cable products to meet the requirements of the fast-growing cable Internet market. Our new cable modem routers integrate the latest DOCSIS 3.0 cable technology with the superior ease-of-use capabilities that you've come to expect in NETGEAR routers, thanks to the NETGEAR genie app. By owning one of our new cable modem routers, you have an easy option for avoiding your cable provider's monthly modem leasing fee."

In addition to the fastest cable speeds, both of the new cable modem routers integrate an 802.11n WiFi router. The N300 WiFi Cable Modem Router supports WiFi speeds up to 300 Mbps* on the 2.4GHz band. The N600 WiFi Cable Modem Router offers simultaneous dual-band networking, reducing WiFi interference and doubling bandwidth, supporting speeds up to 300 Mbps on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands so all your wireless devices have a super-fast WiFi connection.

Both cable modem routers support the NETGEAR genie software application, a free app and personal dashboard that makes it easy to install, monitor, control and repair your home network from PCs, Macs, and iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. The MyMedia feature helps you to find and play media files in your network. Setting up parental controls and guest access is ultra-easy. Furthermore, you can attach a USB hard drive to the NETGEAR ReadySHARE-enabled USB port on the cable modem routers and you will have wireless access of the storage drive from any device in your home network.

The new N300 and N600 Cable Modem Routers are compatible with current and next-generation WiFi devices and offer the highest level of wireless security and support for IPv6. Each cable modem router also comes equipped with Gigabit Ethernet ports so you can benefit from the fastest wired speeds to connect your desktop computer and other devices such as network storage, while still enjoying the freedom of wireless connections for mobile devices such as tablets, laptops, and smartphones.

The NETGEAR Cable Family
    With the availability of two more NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem products, you're sure to find one that's a match for your budget and Internet needs so you can experience easier and faster home networking. Prices listed below are the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) in the U.S.:
    • The new N600 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C3700) is a dual-band device with two Gigabit Ethernet ports. It offers cable modem speeds up to 340 Mbps** with the fastest WiFi speed and performance up to 600 Mbps* (300+300 Mbps*) across the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. It's available now for $129.99.
    • The N450 WiFi Cable Modem Router (N450) has four Gigabit Ethernet ports, making it ideal for HD video streaming and gaming. It offers cable modem speeds up to 340 Mbps** with the fastest 2.4GHz WiFi speed and performance up to 450 Mbps*. It's available now for $119.99.
    • The new N300 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C3000) has two Gigabit Ethernet ports. It offers cable modem speeds up to 340 Mbps** with the fastest 2.4 GHz WiFi speed and performance up to 300 Mbps*. It's available now for $99.99.
    • The CMD31T DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem connects directly to your high-speed cable Internet provider at speeds up to 150 Mbps**. It's available now for $69.99.
    NETGEAR cable modems and cable modem routers are CableLabs Certified and compatible with most major U.S. cable Internet providers, such as Cablevision, Charter, Cox, Time Warner Cable , XFINITY/Comcast and more.

In the second quarter of 2014, NETGEAR expects to release the AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router (C6300) for $219.99. Announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, it's a best-in-class device with four Gigabit Ethernet ports and supports 16 download and 4 upload channels simultaneously, combining the fastest cable modem speeds of up to 680 Mbps** with Gigabit WiFi speeds of up to 1750 Mbps* (450+1300 Mbps*).

btarunr, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers - Similar Threads - Wifi Modem Advice

2. Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.: Hello,I have just got a new Laptop with Windows 11, and I want to connect it to my old Laptop that has Windows 10, and basically drag and drop the C+D Drives from the old into the C Drive of the new.Will that mess anything up because they are different versions of...
  3. Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.: Hello,I have just got a new Laptop with Windows 11, and I want to connect it to my old Laptop that has Windows 10, and basically drag and drop the C+D Drives from the old into the C Drive of the new.Will that mess anything up because they are different versions of...
  4. Advice regarding new HP Pc for average everyday use.

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice regarding new HP Pc for average everyday use.: I am thinking about buying a new computer as my old one is struggling It would be great if you could help me decide. I w HP 24-f0049na All-in-One Desktop PC, Intel Core i3-9100T Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 23.8" Full HD Non Touch, Snow White at John Lewis & Partners HP...
  5. New to 10 advice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New to 10 advice?: hi guys , well i finally got windows 10 after buying a computer from an individual. it does seem not to be a legit copy i cant seem to activate it.the computer itself is pretty powerful but im having problems running some flash type games on webpages. very chopy slow and...
  6. Advice regarding wireless keyboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice regarding wireless keyboard.: I am new to wireless peripherals. I've been told to turn the mouse and keyboard off when not in use (to extend battery life). The mouse has an on/off switch, but the keyboard does not. The HP User Guide says that the Caps Lock key turns the keyboard on and off. There is a...
  7. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  8. Install old computer on new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install old computer on new computer: I have an HP LaserJet 1018 printer. There is no driver for Windows 10. This printer was installed on my Windows 7 laptop when I upgraded to Window 10. After the upgrade, the printer still worked fine. I now have a new Windows 10 laptop and I would like to be able to use...
  9. Need advice: Looking to buy new modem and router for my home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need advice: Looking to buy new modem and router for my home: I'm looking to future proof the networking hardware for my home - but I can't find good recommendations. According to people's reviews (mostly on Amazon), either the modem or router doesn't last long, craps out frequently and requires frequent reboots - or the customer...
  10. Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer: First thing to know is that this is a 1 month old new ACER Aspire ES1-533-C55P (x64) notebook Win10 Home (x64). About a month ago a friend called me about his wife wasn't able to log in to their Yahoo email account because the password wasn't working anymore and the forgot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shou;d all new computers be able to support 300 mbp download speeds