Windows 10: WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

Discus and support WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've seen other people ask this same exact question as far back as 2013 and it appears Microsoft are well aware of thissecurity flaw and have no... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Matt_annoyed_by_MS, Dec 28, 2020.

1. WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

I've seen other people ask this same exact question as far back as 2013 and it appears Microsoft are well aware of thissecurity flaw and have no interest in addressing it as I've yet to find a response which resolves this. Many replies don't even appear to comprehend the question being asked!

For fun* I shall "bump the thread" as it were:

*it's not actually fun at all

My Windows 10 laptop has a tick in the "Connect automatically" box for every single WiFi network which is within range for me.

I un-tick the "Connect automatically" box yet when I check to confirm this choice has been appliedI find the "Connect automatically" box is ticked again.

There is apparently no way to tell my computer to not automatically attempt connections to any network other than my own. This is completely backwards, asthe only network I do want to automatically connect to is my own one.

Apart from being a significant security risk, this also causes frustrating regular disconnects from games as it periodically briefly disconnects from my own network in order to attempt to connect to these.

My question is - how can I switch off WiFi auto-connect altogether?

I don't mind if that means I have to manually type my WiFi password every time. It would be well worth the supposed hassle of typing a few characters to know that my operating system isn't trying to connect to any other and especially unknown networks.

It's clear from the amount of time this issue has existed that Microsoft aren't interested in fixing this but I'm wondering if any geniuses out there have figured out a way to shore up this security risk other than switching off WiFi and using a cabled LAN instead which I'm aware is actually the better option for both security and performance...

:)

Matt_annoyed_by_MS, Dec 28, 2020
  2. dbrister Win User

Device attempts to connect to all UNKNOWN and KNOWN networks within range via "connect automatically"

Hi Jon,

I checked the registry values you suggested and the only network listed under the profiles is my home network.

The issue appears to be a misunderstanding on my part of how the connect automatically feature is written for the GUI.

It seems the "connect automatically" box is checked by default for all password protected networks to save clicks on the users end.

I may have a different unknown issue as to why I am having issues automatically connecting to my home network.

Thank you very much for your response.

dbrister, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

I am experiencing the same issue. Every detected wifi network/signal in my vicinity is picked up and 'Connect Automatically' is checked by default for all. Whether I uncheck the 'Connect Automatically' for all of these unknown networks by clicking on the
    wifi icon in the task bar, or via Settings/Network & Internet/wifi settings screen the selection does not save. The very next time I view the list of wifi networks, 'Connect Automatically' is checked again for
    every wifi network in the list.

Smarticles71, Dec 28, 2020
  4. WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

Connect to a WiFi network automatically

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I could connect to a WiFi network (A) automatically even though I'm already connected to another WiFi network (B). The thing is, that network A is very unstable but is faster than B, and when A goes down, Windows 10 connects automatically
    to B. But can Windows 10 reconnect to network A when it goes up again?

I already modified the network priorities so that A is first and B is second on the list.

Thanks!

José ManuelAlvarez García, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

1. WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks - Similar Threads - WiFi attempts automatically

2. WiFi connecting automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connecting automatically: I noticed recently that all the wifi networks in my area are selected to "connect automatically" even though I don't know any of them. When I do go through and uncheck the setting, it'll automatically check it again. What should I do?...
  3. HP laptop connected automatically to an unknown network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP laptop connected automatically to an unknown network: I have a HP laptop that is connected automatically to an unknown network. The unknown net work has set up parental controls. Laptop,phones, Ruku, Xbox , everything! I need help! I already did F11 restart and found my system32 in my x drive. Needless to say it didn’t work....
  4. Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks: [ATTACH] These are networks I've never connected to, and never want to. However they always appear with that checkmark ticked. If I untick, it just ticks it back. Ironically, my own network is never ticked (and if I tick it, it automatically unticks). This feels like a bug...
  5. Connect to a WiFi network automatically

Connect to a WiFi network automatically: Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could connect to a WiFi network A automatically even though I'm already connected to another WiFi network B. The thing is, that network A is very unstable but is faster than B, and when A goes down, Windows 10 connects automatically to B....
  6. Device attempts to connect to all UNKNOWN and KNOWN networks within range via "connect...

Device attempts to connect to all UNKNOWN and KNOWN networks within range via "connect...: First off, this is NOT an issue with KNOWN NETWORKS. I have looked and looked on the community and every time someone asks this question advice is given for known networks. The "connect automatically" box remains checked for every network in range whether it is a KNOWN OR...
  7. Wifi Not Automatically Connecting

Wifi Not Automatically Connecting: Hi, I recently installed windows10 pro 64-bit edition on my wifes laptop (legally) with authentic key. I've already updated the driver for her wifi adapter, upon startup most of the time it fails to automatically connect to our wifi signal. When it does it shows the the...
  8. Unknown WiFi network running in background.

Unknown WiFi network running in background.: Hello, I have my WiFi hotspot turned off in the settings but I still see an unknown hotspot network working. I don't know the details about that except the ones showed in the task manager. It turns off if I unplug my laptop or turn on the hotspot in the settings. I...
  9. unknown network connected

unknown network connected: I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME I RECENTLY DETECTED AN UNKNOWN NETWORK CONNECTED AND UNDER SETTINGS IT IS LISTED AS FRONTIER4169 THE PERFERRED CHOICE THEN MY NETWORK IS LISTED. WHAT IS IT AND WHERE DID IT COME FROM?...
  10. Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks

Windows automatically connects to open WiFi networks: Hi, On my PC there are multiple networks visible. A part of this list are open networks. The only stored network is my home network and for some reason my PC automatically connects to open networks. These networks are not remembered and I cannot find the functionality to...