Windows 10: WiFi broken yet again. Can't detect any WiFi networks.

Discus and support WiFi broken yet again. Can't detect any WiFi networks. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Circa 2013 laptop (originally came with Win 7) that I've upgraded with an Atheros AR9285 mini PCIe b/g/n card. It WAS working just fine until a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Galane, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Galane Win User

WiFi broken yet again. Can't detect any WiFi networks.

Circa 2013 laptop (originally came with Win 7) that I've upgraded with an Atheros AR9285 mini PCIe b/g/n card.

It WAS working just fine until a couple of days ago, suddenly, no WiFi networks detected. I know that's not true because with other computers and phones all the hotspots are still active and in working order.

I assume some recent update to 10 has broken something with networking yet again. Fortunately ethernet still works but I need WiFi going for an upcoming trip.

I have not had this much trouble with networking with a PC operating system since MS-DOS! Previous versions of Windows at times could have tricky issues getting networking to work, but once success was achieved they tended to *stay working forever* unlike Windows 10's initial problem with many computers (on WiFi and/or Ethernet) that took MS almost exactly a year to produce a fix for.

I'll see what it does after KB4020102 is done downloading and installing. Hopefully it contains a fix for whatever the last updates screwed up.

:)

Galane, Jun 12, 2017

2. PC can't detect WiFi but can detect my Phone's hotspot

My PC is unable to detect any WiFi networks but can detect my phone's hotspot. Earlier it could detect both mine and my neighbours WiFi. I'm connected to the Ethernet but can't find my WiFi network. Please help

RussellFernandez, Jun 12, 2017
  3. Marc Cai Win User
    unable to detect wifi.

Hello,

Regarding your concern, we would like to know the following information:

Can your system detect your WiFi network?

What is the error message when you try to connect to any network?

What is the make and model of your unit?

If the system in-concern can detect other WiFi network and yet could not detect your own WiFi network, then the issue must be in the settings of the modem. We also need to consider how many devices are currently connected to the WiFi network, knowing that WiFi
    modems can only have a limited number of devices that can connect which will also depend on the settings.

Update us with the needed information.

Marc Cai, Jun 12, 2017
  4. me75006 Win User

You might research rolling back that update if you can't resolve the problem.

I think you have a 10 day window to do that rollback.

me75006, Jun 12, 2017
  5. Galane Win User
    Still no WiFi after KB4020102 update.

I've no idea what update may be responsible for the problem. Would be nice if MS would *leave things alone* once they get an issue fixed for everyone.

10 is getting to be like a non-stop beta test. *Tongue

Galane, Jun 13, 2017
  6. Galane Win User
    I used Drivermax to get what it figures is the latest WiFi driver then rebooted with the Ethernet cable unplugged.

It found *some* of the hotspots, but not the one that's literally less than two feet away. But after about a minute it claims "No Wi-Fi networks found"

Went to device manager, deleted the WiFi device and checked the box to delete driver files. Clicked the refresh icon and it popped the WiFi device back in.

It's connected to the nearby access point, for now.

Aaaaand it's back to lying about the non-existence of any WiFi networks.

Galane, Jun 13, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Do not use Drivermax or other third party websites for firmware. They are known to allow infections to happen. If Windows installed a MS driver and the adapter does not work, try a USB adapter. If it still does not work, roll back to a restore point before it happened and make sure that if you are running any kind of third party security software, that it is not interfering with the network.

Microsoft rolls out updates for security problems, memory leaks, etc. If they did not roll out updates, people would be complaining.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WiFi broken yet again. Can't detect any WiFi networks. - Similar Threads - WiFi broken yet

2. OneDrive Broken yet again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Broken yet again: Hi, I have recently done a clean install of windows 11, amongst other things because onedrive is being a right pain. Since the reinstall it is beyond slow. Something has changed recently. There used to be a version of onedrive installed and you could download onedrive for...
  3. OneDrive Broken yet again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Broken yet again: Hi, I have recently done a clean install of windows 11, amongst other things because onedrive is being a right pain. Since the reinstall it is beyond slow. Something has changed recently. There used to be a version of onedrive installed and you could download onedrive for...
  4. Device wont detect any wifi Networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device wont detect any wifi Networks: device pci\ven_14c3&dev_7961&subsys_46801a3b&rev_00\4&120d21cb&0&0012 had a problem starting. driver name: oem101.inf class guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} service: mtkwlex lower filters: upper filters: vwifibus problem: 0x0 problem status: 0xc00000e5It used to...
  5. Device wont detect any wifi Networks

Device wont detect any wifi Networks: device pci\ven_14c3&dev_7961&subsys_46801a3b&rev_00\4&120d21cb&0&0012 had a problem starting. driver name: oem101.inf class guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} service: mtkwlex lower filters: upper filters: vwifibus problem: 0x0 problem status: 0xc00000e5It used to...
  6. Broken updates yet again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken updates yet again: So here we go again, yet again broken Microsoft is destroying my system.I am a light user of my Dell laptop, mostly only at weekends. It seems that more often than not there is yet another batch of updates every time I open it and my whole system is pathetically slow until...
  7. Broken updates yet again

Broken updates yet again: So here we go again, yet again broken Microsoft is destroying my system.I am a light user of my Dell laptop, mostly only at weekends. It seems that more often than not there is yet another batch of updates every time I open it and my whole system is pathetically slow until...
  8. Broken updates yet again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. wifi won't detect any network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi won't detect any network: My wifi won't detect any network, it shows a red cross sign in notification area. It's using Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (Driver version: 2023.43.914.2016). Today, When I checked the manufacturers site, they suggested RTL8188CE version so I downloaded...
  10. Network configuration broken (WiFi)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network configuration broken (WiFi): Greetings, I ran into a problem with corrupted network configuration after installing Tamosoft Throughput Test or IVT BlueSoleil. Dunno which one as they were installed in one batch, but after finalizing both setups, the network icon overlayed with the red cross label and...