Windows 10: Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.

Discus and support Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hopefully someone here can help me with this. So I have an Edimax EW-7822PIC adapter. I purchased shortly before Windows 10 launched. Used to connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RabidBat, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.

Hopefully someone here can help me with this.
    So I have an Edimax EW-7822PIC adapter. I purchased shortly before Windows 10 launched. Used to connect to 2.4ghz and 5ghz no problems, but for about the past year or two it will no longer connect to 5ghz. or it does but then it doesn't.
    (I honestly cannot recall when it started, I tend to use LAN over wifi so I kind of didn't pay it much attention back then.)

Looked all over the net for a solution, and found none. Well those suggested to others haven't worked for me. Seems to be a sadly too common problem too.

The adapter can 'see' both the 2.4 and 5 connections on the router. But can only connect to the 2.4ghz.

The PC will try to connect to the 5ghz, even seems to accept the password, but then after a while I get "unable to connect to this network" and it reverts back to the 2.4 connection.

I think a Windows update is the problem as this never used to occur, and if I do a clean install of Windows 10 it works just fine, until of course the initial Updates windows does.

I have tried the wifi adapter in several different Windows 10 PC's (different manufacturers and generations of motherboards, different PCI-E slots in the machines) and the same thing occurs. Works on a fresh Windows install, and then 5Ghz no longer connects after updates.

Have Tried 10 Pro and Home. Goes the same way with both. (even gave Home N a try lol)

In a Windows 7 PC I tested, the issue never happens.

Win 10 installs Realtek drivers by default and device manager shows the card as "Realtek 8812AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC".

I've also installed the official Edimax drivers (made by Realtek of course) and the problem occurs with both drivers.

I also noticed another major problem was created at the same time. If I uninstall the adapter/drivers when the device reinstalls I lose all internet connections. ALL of them, including my LAN connections.

The wifi and the ethernet will show as connected to the local network, but under "status" IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity will be non existent. Only way to get it back is to roll back Windows 10 via system restore to before the wifi is uninstalled or a complete reinstall of Windows 10 (needed the times I have forgotten to make a restore point)

As for the 5Ghz connection on the router, every other 5Ghz capable device I own, TV's, phones, Tablets connect to the 5ghz no problem and work just fine.

The router is a Technicolor MediaAccess TG789vac v2 provided by my ISP. Same firmware as it always had when the adapter worked properly. I have restarted it and reset it numerous times.

This is definitely a Windows 10 issue. Similar to the one Microsoft Surfaces were suffering from after a windows update a while back, if it's not the exact same issue. Seems microsoft fixed that problem, but only for those specific devices.

Been doing my head in for a while now. So are there any clever people out there that might know what is the exact cause and how to fix this? Short of reinstalling windows and blocking all updates forever....

I do like my machines to be up to date and secure, I mean who doesn't? But I am willing to nuke a problematic Windows Update/Hotfix if it's possible.
    Wouldn't be the first time a Windows OS 'hotfix' has actually broken working hardware I own.

Just hoping Reddit can assist me better than Microsoft Tech Support forums and their 'canned', more useless than not, advice.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/RabidBat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RabidBat, Jun 6, 2020
  2. Arily Win User

5ghz wifi not showing windows 10

I just got a new modem/router and it has a 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi connections...Only the 2.4ghz shows in the wifi list while the 5ghz isn't showing at all. My computer's network card does support the 5ghz and I know the 5ghz is working because I can connect to it from other devices...just not my desktop computer.

EDIT: I've attempted updating network driver, also resetting network in the settings menu. Both hasn't worked.

Arily, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Lumia 950XL 5GHz wifi issue

Thanks for your replay Mr. Jack but I have tried everything resetting my phone, router also but I have never seen my phone show the 5Ghz networks....!!! Anything else u can suggest?? It works well with the 2.5Ghz network...!! I have other phones at home which
    connects to the 5Ghz network and works fine..!! It's only my 950xl which doesn't show the 5Ghz network...!!

jebinbosco, Jun 6, 2020
  4. John Calm Win User

Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.

Cannot connect to any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi with password

Hello.

This is my first time trying to ask for tech help since the search button was always my teacher but seems I'm out of inspiration.

I fresh installed W10 to my laptop YEPO 737a and for some strange reason I can't connect to any of the multiple wifi I've tried (home, work, phone) unless it is a 5Ghz open wifi. The message I see is "Can't connect to this network" so I tried to find other's
    solution but to no avail. In the end what I found out is:

• 2.4Ghz and password: Not connecting
    • 2.4Ghz and open: Not connecting
    • 5Ghz and password: Not connecting
    • 5Ghz and open: connecting normaly

I thought it was drivers, so I manually updated them but still nothing

The device is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Thanks in advance

John Calm, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.

1. Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz. - Similar Threads - Wifi card connect

2. Can't connect to 5GHz WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to 5GHz WiFi: Hi,I am using a dell Inspiron 7501, with an intel wifi adapter that worked perfectly with a 5GHz network when I got it. It also works with a 5GHz network when I do a clean install of windows, however, one day randomly it would stop working and I would have to do a clean...
  3. Can't connect to 5GHz WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to 5GHz WiFi: Hi,I am using a dell Inspiron 7501, with an intel wifi adapter that worked perfectly with a 5GHz network when I got it. It also works with a 5GHz network when I do a clean install of windows, however, one day randomly it would stop working and I would have to do a clean...
  4. How to connect to 5ghz wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect to 5ghz wifi: Hi,Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I can't find an answer to the specific problem that I have. My PC can't connect to 5Ghz WIFI, only 2.4. In my WIFI adapters advanced properties, the first three properties are 802.11d, 802.11n channel width for 2.4GHz, and...
  5. How to connect to 5ghz wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to connect to 5ghz wifi: Hi,Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I can't find an answer to the specific problem that I have. My PC can't connect to 5Ghz WIFI, only 2.4. In my WIFI adapters advanced properties, the first three properties are 802.11d, 802.11n channel width for 2.4GHz, and...
  6. 5ghz Wifi showing no connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    5ghz Wifi showing no connection: Ello, i got my new PC a few days ago without ethernet and instead opting for a usb wifi adapter. I have checked everything and my pc does support 5ghz wifi, but whenever i connect to it it shows no connection see attachment [ATTACH] I would like some help with this, thanks...
  7. 5ghz wifi connection

5ghz wifi connection: Hello my wifi adapter is realtek rtl8188ee wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic this do it support 5ghz wifi connection if yes how can I enable it when I do in device manager and for to network adapter and to to wireless lan and click advantage and try to enable 5 ghz connection...
  8. Can't connect to 5Ghz wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to 5Ghz wifi: Not too sure if this is the right subreddit but I recently added another GPU into my PC build. Before that, I was able to connect both to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi network. However, when I finished installing the 2nd GPU, the 5Ghz network would show up as "no internet,...
  9. Can't connect to 5ghz wifi

Can't connect to 5ghz wifi: There is no 5 GHz Wifi option in my laptop, but I can connect to it in my other device. I tried everything and look for the solution in this community before but all of them cannot solve my problem. This is my Wifi card: Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3168...
  10. Help connecting to 5Ghz WiFi

Help connecting to 5Ghz WiFi: I am running Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362) and, until recently, had no issues connecting to my 5 Ghz WiFi. My network adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. I am still able to access my 2.4 Ghz, but when connecting to 5 Ghz, I am getting the...