Windows 10: WIFI Channel Selection ?

Discus and support WIFI Channel Selection ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Anybody know who controls the WIFI channel that gets used when a device connects to the Router ? The reason I ask, about a week ago, my laptop which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by storageman, Sep 29, 2020.

1. WIFI Channel Selection ?

Anybody know who controls the WIFI channel that gets used when a device connects to the Router ?

The reason I ask, about a week ago, my laptop which only has WIFI, has had instability in maintaining a connection. It drops out, resets itself and reconnects constantly. The WIFI is just about unusable. I also have another device my phone, which connects to the same WIFI band but never gets dropped. After further investigation the Phone connects to channel 153, while the laptop always connects thru channel 4. To complicate matters further, somebody close to my house has gotten a new router and the band in question also connects to channel 4. I have no idea who it is, but its signal strength is just as good if not better than my WIFI signal strength standing next to it. On my app that tests signal strength, I can set it to look at interference and guess who pops up, the new router in question. Could this be causing my drop out problems with my laptop ?

The reason I asked about channel selection, if I can get the laptop to connect to a different channel, maybe that will fix my problem ?

Any answers will be appreciated.

:)

storageman, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Shilohbob Win User

Wifi channel

Hi, Lacrumb

Q1; After finding what the channel is how do I get the computer to use that channel? I do not have an Auto on the Router.

Q2:; I have a Netgear router, N750 WiFi Router, model WNDR4300

Q3; Some of my laptops connect at 5Ghz and others connect at 2.4Ghz. How can I get the ones that connect at 2,4Ghz to connect at 5Ghz.

Q4: Is there a way to put the channel in the computer?

We are actually hijacking the original post, but some of the info will assist the original poster.

Q;1, 2 & 4;

The channel setting is a router setting not OS, so it can not be stored on the computer, you Wireless setting page, should look something like the image below, the channel can be selected for each band in the relevant 'Channel' setting ( use arrow to change
    channel) - then select 'Apply'.

The image is a copy of the relevant page of the manual for your router - Note; Before making any changes ensure you copy the current settings. Not all routers have a channel 'Auto' selection.

Link to manual below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300v2/WNDR4300v2_UM_23dec2014.pdf

WIFI Channel Selection ? a9a4b7a6-c2a1-4b00-a087-8be88c9f88ae.png

Q3;

On your laptops you can select which WiFi band to use (2.4 or 5GHz), by selecting 'Notification' icon on taskbar > select 'Network' and it should show list of networks available - see insert below;

The top one is my 5GHz network & the one below the 2.4GHz.

If you L/click on the required network, you will have the option to 'Connect' or Disconnect" - after making choice close 'Notification'

WiFi should be 'On' to carryout these actiions>

I hope the info / answers assist you with your router settings.

WIFI Channel Selection ? 803f89b0-adc6-404f-99f4-15dbe499ee05.png

Shilohbob, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Wifi channel

The WiFi channel is set / selected within your router setting (not by your software / OS), you need to get into your Router settings to change channels, as there are a wide variety of routers available, I would advise you to go to your router manufactures
    website and seek advice how to change channels.

If you post details of the make / model of your router I maybe able to assist - generally to get to router settings you enter - 10.0.0.138 into the address bar of your browser, then find the WiFi setting of your router.

It may look something like insert below: (this general information, yours maybe different).

WIFI Channel Selection ? f8e06dde-c576-4365-9167-be210abfc40b.png

Shilohbob, Sep 29, 2020
  4. lacrumb Win User

WIFI Channel Selection ?

Wifi channel

After finding what the channel is how do I get the computer to use that channel? I do not have an Auto on the Router.

I have a Netgear router, N750 WiFi Router, model WNDR4300

Some of my laptops connect at 5Ghz and others connect at 2.4Ghz. How can I get the ones that connect at 2,4Ghz to connect at 5Ghz.

Is there a way to put the channel in the computer?

lacrumb, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

WIFI Channel Selection ?

1. WIFI Channel Selection ? - Similar Threads - WIFI Channel Selection

2. how to default to NOT auto-connect wifi channels?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to default to NOT auto-connect wifi channels?: WIFI scans for channels and sets "connect automatically" by default. I want the Default to be "NOT connect automatically"That is what I want, note, not necessarily what you think I should want. PleaseI want to choose the one channel I want to connect to.I want other channels...
  3. Network Channel for Mobile WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Channel for Mobile WiFi: So i use my Samsung Note 10+ to hotspot an internet connection for my W10 Laptop. The speed is beyond slow, all my provider says is it's 'within range', but refuses to tell me what the range is. The max the phone can roam to is 4GX / LTE. After doing some research I've...
  4. No WiFi selection popping up

No WiFi selection popping up: I currently just got a brand new gaming computer set up but i’m not able to connect it to my wifi. Its only giving me the option to connect by ethernet, which i do not have. Any kind of help is appreciated...
  5. WiFi Selection Mystery

WiFi Selection Mystery: (No idea which section this really ought to be in. Perhaps Networking, but networking itself works) Without going into the details, suffice it to say that the update from 20Mbmps to 40Mbps on our DSL line was anything but easy. Given the problems, I have left the WiFi in...
  6. Connecting to specific WiFi channel?

Connecting to specific WiFi channel?: How do I connect to a specific channel of a WiFi network? thanks... -k https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-to-specific-wifi-channel/0eca0764-0c99-41cf-a436-3b8b3ad351a8
  7. Remote Desktop: only on same wifi channel?

Remote Desktop: only on same wifi channel?: I have a notebook computer that I use Remote Desktop to log into. My router has a 2.4G radio, and two 5G radios. If the notebook and computer I am using Remote Desktop on are both on the same radio, it works fine. But if the notebook is on one radio and my computer is on...
  8. multi channel sound not selectable in sound panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    multi channel sound not selectable in sound panel: An audio/video receiver is connected to the PC via HDMI. Speakers options for 5.1 and 7.1 are greyed (not selectable), do you know how to make them selectable otherwise only stereo format is decoded by the hometheater receiver?...
  9. WiFi selection stuck!

WiFi selection stuck!: My WiFi pop up Network selection menu has a number of 'connect automatically' boxes selected that when I unselect them show selected again after menu is closed and reopened. Why do they show reselected again after I unchecked boxes? Seems to remember selections made long ago,...
  10. change wifi channel

in Windows 10 Customization
    change wifi channel: can anyone guide me on how to change my wifi channel from 1 to something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-wifi-channel/c09b43c0-5e32-43b3-bcb1-2384d6389150