Windows 10: Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear

Discus and support Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On a desktop running Windows 10 I was connected to my home network using ethernet and once I switched to Wifi I started having the above mentioned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gooy, Dec 6, 2020.

1. gooy Win User

Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear

On a desktop running Windows 10 I was connected to my home network using ethernet and once I switched to Wifi I started having the above mentioned problem.

I have tried with a number of Wifi adaptors and connecting to a number of different Wifi networks, including my phone as a hotspot. In all cases, I am able to connect for a few seconds, then it disconnects and then all the available networks disappear.

I also tried to disable and uninstall the device from device manager.

:)

gooy, Dec 6, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

WiFi appears in Manage Known Networks, not in Show Available Networks

The list of WiFi connections shown when you click the WiFi icon in the taskbar is a list of all the signals that can currently be seen by the WiFi adapter. The list in Manage Known Networks is a list of all those you have previously successfully connected to, whether or not they are currently available.

The only plausible explanation is that for a while that WiFi signal had been turned off.

Bree, Dec 6, 2020
  3. coffent Win User
    How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Dec 6, 2020
  4. Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear

WIFI disconnecting

My Wifi is on, but my laptop keeps disconnecting from my wifi. also, when my laptop goes to sleep and then wakeup the wifi does not even show the list of available networks. So after switching on the airplane mode and then turning it back off, the wifi
    networks are listed but either it does not connect to my network or if it does, it gets disconnected as soon as I open any tab .
    I have tried troubleshooting, reinstalling wifi drivers, but nothing seems to fix it.
    This started after windows updated a few weeks back.
    please help

RajatBhatnagar, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear

1. Wifi connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting and all available networks disappear - Similar Threads - Wifi connecting few

2. Windows 11 connects then disconnects from wifi every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 connects then disconnects from wifi every few seconds.: On a new HP laptop with windows 11 installed, it will connect to wifi for 5 seconds before disconnecting. It will then reconnect on its own. No other devices on this wifi network have this problem. I updated the drivers, ran the troubleshooting program, adjusted the power...
  3. Windows 11 connects then disconnects from wifi every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 connects then disconnects from wifi every few seconds.: On a new HP laptop with windows 11 installed, it will connect to wifi for 5 seconds before disconnecting. It will then reconnect on its own. No other devices on this wifi network have this problem. I updated the drivers, ran the troubleshooting program, adjusted the power...
  4. WiFi network keeps disconnecting for a few seconds, then connecting again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi network keeps disconnecting for a few seconds, then connecting again: My WiFi connection randomly drops for a few seconds, then it will connect again. It usually drops when I'm accessing some websites which rely heavily on internet connection such as a speed test website. - I've already tried restarting my router, modem, and laptop, flushing my...
  5. Wifi disconnects for a few seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi disconnects for a few seconds: I am having an issue with my HP Envy 17 j177nr laptop. When connected to the internet via wifi, I will lose connection for a few seconds. During this, I will have a "no" symbol over the globe in the taskbar. The laptop will connect back to the internet after 3 - 5 seconds....
  6. Network Connection, Status & Available Networks Disappeared

Network Connection, Status & Available Networks Disappeared: After numerous searches on here and the internet I have not found a resolution that covers all that is going on with my computer. It seemed to have intermittent issues with wireless networks not showing up on occasion then following an update I lost the network icon in the...
  7. Available Wifi Networks disappeared

Available Wifi Networks disappeared: Hello, I have a HP 8830 desktop. I reinstalled win10 using the creation tool. Since doing the updates I no longer am able to view all available wireless networks. my phone displays all networks I ran the trouble shooter; rebooted the router without success. I also rebooted...
  8. Computer randomly disconnects from the wifi and all available networks disappear

Computer randomly disconnects from the wifi and all available networks disappear: Hello! I'm getting VERY frustrated with this problem. To give you some context, I recently had to reload Windows 10 on my Dell Latitude 3570. When I did so, I encountered a problem I've never had before. I try to connect to the internet, but I get an error message saying...
  9. Wifi not visible at all in Network/Internet Settings...No connections available

Wifi not visible at all in Network/Internet Settings...No connections available: Soon after replacing my laptop battery, I have totally lost the ability to even detect an available wifi connection on my home network. My other computer, my kindle, & phones all work fine. Im using an HP ENVY running Windows 10. I have tried: Removing said battery if its...
  10. One of the available wifi networks keeps disappearing

One of the available wifi networks keeps disappearing: Hi All I am using Windows 10. I have been facing a weird issue one of my available wifi networks disappears and appears time to time. When it is disappeared on my PC, I checked and it is shown on other devices and PCs. Please help...