Windows 10: WiFi Detection disappeared and Can't get on internet? Possible help.

Discus and support WiFi Detection disappeared and Can't get on internet? Possible help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I notice a lot of forum angst about the sudden disappearance of the list of WiFi hotspots detected (right-hand side of taskbar) and so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ausgumbie, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ausgumbie Win User

WiFi Detection disappeared and Can't get on internet? Possible help.

Hi all

I notice a lot of forum angst about the sudden disappearance of the list of WiFi hotspots detected (right-hand side of taskbar) and so inability to connect with the internet.

Being - literally - a gumby, I don't know the terms for various things so I hope folk know what I'm talking about. I'm calling the little "WiFi" icon (on the taskbar, lower right) the "WiFi Manager" - if anyone would mind responding with its correct title, I'd be grateful.

OK - My story. I suddenly got booted off the internet last night, and when I tried to reconnect, found the box usually containing the list of detected hotspots was totally empty! AND, only the "AirplaneMode" button was at the bottom of that. After the usual panic and hoping lots of rebooting would fix something, I right clicked on the "WiFi Manager" icon - now a box with a red cross on it. Nothing. I'm not very observant, but here's a list of what I think I did to get my internet connection back. Maybe it'll help some folk. Certainly not all. Sorry:

1. Open "Control Panel"
    2. Left click "Network and Internet"
    3. Left click "Network and Sharing Center"
    4. Look down to "Change your networking settings"
    5. Left click "Troubleshoot problems"
    6. Page should read: "Troubleshoot problems - Network and Internet"
    7. Under "Network" - top half ...
    8. Left click on "Internet Connections" ("Find and fix problems with connecting to the Internet or to websites")

9. I'm pretty sure a box popped up with two discoveries, one of which (with an Administrator icon next to it) read to the effect that "Wifi detection was disabled - need to enable it as administrator" (or words to that effect).

10. I left clicked on the link that invited fixing as an administrator and, after (maybe) another popup with a progress bar counted the seconds, it declared the issue had been fixed.

11. I can't remember whether I restarted the computer or not but I got WiFi detection back and so got back online.

Again, sorry it's so vague, but hope it helps someone,

Cheers

:)

ausgumbie, Sep 13, 2015
  2. reza_zouk Win User

Nokia C6 wifi

i just bought C6 yesterday and it cant detect my own wifi but can detect my neighbours wifi.. totally upset.. anyone can help me solve this problem? sometimes it can detect but then the wifi name disappear -reza from malaysia-

reza_zouk, Sep 13, 2015
  3. E71 WiFi problems

If you've checked and it still can't detect a wifi hotspot that's not hidden, then it's possible that you have a hardware problem.

My E71 detects (i.e. sees) any wifi, even if it's encrypted ... clearly, I can't connect to encrypted wifi until I have the key/password though (as I would expect).

Suggest you go back to the supplier and have them check whether there's a hardware issue.

dave99---01, Sep 13, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Actually, this is a big help as many of us have never found any troubleshooter do anything useful*Biggrin

Good that it worked for you.

5. ausgumbie Win User
    More than welcome linw

Maybe others who have tried something that worked will stumble across this thread and share.

Cheers

ausgumbie, Sep 13, 2015
  6. For all of you that the above process did not work for:

I found another way to get wifi back on.

Here was my process:

1. Open control panel
    2. Go to network and internet
    3. Go to network and sharing center
    4. Go to troubleshoot problems
    5. Instead of going to internet connections, go to network adapter ("find and fix problems with wirless and other network adapters")
    6. Check the "wi-fi" circle
    7. If it comes up with any issues (if you had lost wifi capability at all it should always find a problem) click on the fix problems button and then it should fix it and you should be good to go. Thats how i got my wifi to reappear.

Mrsmileyfacegms, Jun 3, 2016
  7. ausgumbie Win User
    Hi Mrsmileyfacegms

Many thanks! This will be an ongoing issue so the more strategies the better.

Cheers

ausgumbie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WiFi Detection disappeared and Can't get on internet? Possible help. - Similar Threads - WiFi Detection disappeared

2. Wifi detection/connection function completely disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi detection/connection function completely disappeared: My windows 10 laptop often says “no internet, secured” when connected to my home wifi, while others devices never do that. So I was trying to fix the problem following this article....
  3. Wifi detection/connection function completely disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi detection/connection function completely disappeared: My windows 10 laptop often says “no internet, secured” when connected to my home wifi, while others devices never do that. So I was trying to fix the problem following this article....
  4. Wifi detection/connection function completely disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No internet- Disappearing wifi device code 45?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet- Disappearing wifi device code 45?: Issue with wifi disappearing code 45?- have to restart or 'network reset' computer nearly every day to fix. Found in hidden devices 'this hardware device is not connected to the computer. To fix reconnect this hardware device to the computer'. Please help, ideas on a long...
  6. No internet- Disappearing wifi device code 45?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet- Disappearing wifi device code 45?: Issue with wifi disappearing code 45?- have to restart or 'network reset' computer nearly every day to fix. Found in hidden devices 'this hardware device is not connected to the computer. To fix reconnect this hardware device to the computer'. Please help, ideas on a long...
  7. Can't detect any internet connection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't detect any internet connection: A day or two after my touchpad setting became missing I have yet to fix this due to my schedule, now my laptop can't detect any internet whatsoever. I tried shutting on and off, restarting it, force shutting down, and it didn't work. It can't detect any shred of internet,...
  8. wifi often gets disconnected and then it gets disappeared .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi often gets disconnected and then it gets disappeared .: it's weird. I am having this serious issue since 5 month and haven't solved yet. my wifi was often get disconnected .everytime I connect to it. this is weird I cant work anymore on my leptop. I was looking in community.. but not a single person in this world can solve this...
  9. Can't detect 5GHz wifi.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't detect 5GHz wifi.: Hey. my Windows 10 Pro N can't detect my 5GHz wifi, i have checked if my pc and wireless adapter are compatible with 5ghz , and they are. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-detect-5ghz-wifi/56623eb6-ea4b-4ad0-9e5a-2ace01623284
  10. [Help] Can't detect usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Can't detect usb: Whenever i connect my hard drive (transcend 4tb hdd) or my phone (huawei mate 9) they are not detected unless i go to device manager and uninstall usb root hub (usb 3.0) and then scan for hardware changes while still connected. How to fix this problem? Toshiba satellite...