Windows 10: Wifi direct closes when a device connects to it

Discus and support Wifi direct closes when a device connects to it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am updating a system that requires a WiFi connection between three devices. I had been using an ad-hoc (SoftAP) network hosted Windows 7 on a laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by STTAndy, Sep 17, 2019.

1. STTAndy Win User

Wifi direct closes when a device connects to it

I am updating a system that requires a WiFi connection between three devices. I had been using an ad-hoc (SoftAP) network hosted Windows 7 on a laptop that got destroyed in an accident.

The new laptop has Windows 10 and SoftAP is no longer an option. I have purchased, from the Microsoft Store, WiFi Direct Access Point and it appears to be working until I try to connect either of the other devices, both running Windows 10. Around the same time a connecting device reports that it is connected the WiFi Direct window on the host dissapears. Shortly after the connected(?) device loses the SSID from the list.

Sometimes if I re-run WiFi direct it will start the access point and sometimes it reports that the hardware is not compatible. Sometimes it says it is running but I have to stop and start it again before it is actually working.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Andy

:)

STTAndy, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Elbuort Win User

Hostednetwork for wifi-direct

Hi, really hoping we can find an answer to your question...

In my case, I too have enabled a hosted network using the netsh commands, but my android devices are unable to connect to it...always giving an "authentication error"...the password entered is definitely correct however. I have successfully used Connectify on the computer and connected my devices to it, BUT I am looking for a native solution because this desktop I am using is quite a dinosaur and the Connectify services and interface severely tax my system resources.

The reason I am zeroing in on Wifi Direct functions like you are is because Connectify includes an option for "Prefer Wifi Direct" for connections....enabling THAT option is the only way for my devices to use my Connectify hotspot. Again though, I would like to stop relying on Connectify and instead enable this functionality via the Command Line

Actually Kofoed, I suggest you try Connectify, it may just be the answer you are looking for, but for me, I'm hoping for guidance on controlling/enabling Wifi Direct via netsh commands and the like, in conjunction with the hosted network functionality.

Thanks

Elbuort, Sep 17, 2019
  3. tehghey Win User
    Cannot connect Win 10 PC to printer with WiFi Direct

Hello. I installed a HP printer model M402dw and turned on WiFi Direct mode. I am able to connect to the printer enough to see it in the WiFi connections list as well as in Available Devices when I try to Add Printer.

I am able to add the printer, send documents, and print with two Windows 7 machines. The process was smooth and easy.

When I try to Add Printer on the Windows 10 machine it asks for a WSP PIN. The printer even receives the signal that the computer is trying to connect via WiFi Direct and shows a PIN on its little LCD screen. When I enter the PIN into the box on the PC, it just sits and spins. Eventually the printer times out and gives up and then a while later Windows also gives up and says "That didn't work. Try again...blah blah...or contact the device manufacturer...etc." And when I click OK to close the window a box pops up with "The argument is invalid."

Can anyone please tell me how to get this to work? Thanks.

tehghey, Sep 17, 2019
  4. wabbles Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Wifi direct closes when a device connects to it - Similar Threads - Wifi direct closes

2. Wifi direct printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi direct printer: Before the new update that happened recently, it was nice and easy to find a printer that uses wifi direct. Now I keep trying to find where I can find a printer with wifi direct, and I can't find it. Where can I find those printers?...
  3. Cant connect Wifi and bluetooth except i move devices close to computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant connect Wifi and bluetooth except i move devices close to computer: Please help .I cant connect to Bluetooth devices except I move them close to computer. The Headphones wont connect on my ears , only connect if I put close to the computer. its frustratingAlso to connect computer to my phone's hotspot, I have to keep the phone close to my...
  4. Cant connect Wifi and bluetooth except i move devices close to computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant connect Wifi and bluetooth except i move devices close to computer: Please help .I cant connect to Bluetooth devices except I move them close to computer. The Headphones wont connect on my ears , only connect if I put close to the computer. its frustratingAlso to connect computer to my phone's hotspot, I have to keep the phone close to my...
  5. Wifi direct

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi direct: I'm trying to connect to my 65 inch LG TV UJ6300 with my lenovo V570. I can't seem to get it to connect except by hdmi only. Laptop says I don't support miracast. So I finally got it to show in the list for wifi direct on the TV. Yet when I click it nothing happens just keeps...
  6. Printer not printing thru wifi or direct connection to laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer not printing thru wifi or direct connection to laptop: laptop and printer were communicating thru wifi but no longer. I wired printer to laptop directly and still unable to print. Please help, thank you.......
  7. Wifi Direct

Wifi Direct: I want to use wifi direct to move images from a Sony A6000 camera to my PC running W10. Is this possible or can it only be done on mobile devices? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-direct/8ae5cda8-26c0-4459-9e62-a23dec3f0769
  8. wifi direct

wifi direct: how do i activate wifi direct on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-direct/a6cf58fd-93a3-4c61-8996-8225dac29a84
  9. How to setup wifi direct settings and connect devices with windows 10 laptop and other...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to setup wifi direct settings and connect devices with windows 10 laptop and other...: How to setup wifi direct settings and connect devices with windows 10 laptop and other mobile phones. as shown in the following link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/connect-your-device/setupwifidirect...
  10. Unable to connect to TV using WiFi direct connection

Unable to connect to TV using WiFi direct connection: When I check Settings, View Your Network Properties it show my Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter #3 and also #4's Status a "nonoperational". Would this explain why I cannot connect to the TV or have the TV be recognized by the PC as a connectable device? I am running...