Windows 10: WiFi Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) related issue

Discus and support WiFi Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) related issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, I am trying to provision Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) profile on my windows-10 laptop using Online SignUp Server (OSU) using SOAP based... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DSehrawat, Dec 17, 2019.

1. DSehrawat Win User

WiFi Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) related issue

Hi All,

I am trying to provision Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) profile on my windows-10 laptop using Online SignUp Server (OSU) using SOAP based provisioning.

- Windows is able to successfully discover and select an OSU SSID

- Successfully establishes a TLS session with OSU Server

- Sends "SOAP: sppPostDevData (requestReason, redirectURI, DevInfo + DevDetail MOs)" request

- Successfully receives "SOAP: sppPostDevDataResponse (sessionID, sppStatus, exec: launchBrowserToURI)" response and opens up Web Browser

- Performs registration

- Sends "SOAP: sppPostDevData (sessionID, requestReason, DevInfo+DevDetail MOs)" request to OSU Server

- Receives "SOAP: sppPostDevDataResponse (sessionID, sppStatus, addMO: PerProviderSubscription MO)" response from OSU Server

- BUT Sends back "SOAP: sppUpdateResponse (sessionID, sppStatus)" message with error code as "Error Occured"

We tried to debug it via Event Logs but could not find any detailed reason code as why it is returning this error. Our SOAP response is absolutely inline with Hotspot2.0 release 2.0 specification (8.4.2.1 Provisioning username and password credentials).

Can anyone help me with any pointer to debug this issue? If we can get detailed log at what point it is failing (while processing OSU response) on windows laptop. Which XML parameter it is not able to decode/rejecting?

We can even attach the request / response logs (SOAP) if required.

Best Regards,

Deepak

:)

DSehrawat, Dec 17, 2019
  2. DSehrawat Win User

Thank you for the response but the answer is not related to my question at all. My query is related to "Hotspot 2.0" a.k.a Passpoint technology (not plain old Hotspot).

DSehrawat, Jan 9, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    WiFi Alliance Working on Passpoint Technology; FON Providers, Rejoice

In many markets, people and businesses with WiFi hotspots have began monetizing their idle internet bandwidth by sharing it with others via middleman service providers such as FON. While the business model itself is a solid one where everyone wins, it is faced with technical hurdles. Unlike cellular ISPs that use 3G HSDPA technologies, where the size of a "cell" is much larger than the coverage area of a WiFi hotspot, and where moving between cells is seamless, with close to no drops in connectivity (providing there are no dead-zones between the cells), WiFi hotspots have the issue of logging out of one hotspot before logging into another.

This issue makes moving between multiple FON hotspots result in temporary connectivity loss, which can be unacceptable in some situations (such as downloading something important when moving in a bus). No less than the WiFi Alliance is taking interest in eliminating this technical hurdle, by working on what's known as "Passpoint". Simply put, WiFi Passpoint technology lets clients move between physical hotspots without renegotiation (security and DHCP), making the movement seamless, and resulting in little or no connectivity loss, again, provided there's no dead-zone between the coverage areas of the hotspots users are switching between. A novel concept, which will improve wireless internet service.

Source: ComputerWorld

btarunr, Jan 9, 2020
  4. WiFi Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) related issue

wifi hotspot connection issues

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Let us follow these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: You may run the Network Adapter troubleshooter to check if that helps.

• Type Troubleshoot in the Search bar of your PC and open the Troubleshoot settings.
    • Scroll down the right pane and select ‘Network Adapter’ and click on ‘Run Troubleshooter’.
    • The PC will then start checking for the possible errors and will possibly detect the issue.
    Once this is done, restart the PC and check the wifi hotspot connectivity.

Step 2: If the issue persists, then you may want to
    update the Network driver
    and check the status.

Step 3: You may also want to change the adapter settings.

• Open Mobile Hotspot settings on your PC.
    • Press ‘Windows key + I’ to open Settings and go to ‘Network and Internet’.
    • Scroll down the left pane and select ‘Mobile Hotspot’.
    • Go to ‘Related Settings’ from the right pane and click on ‘Change adapter options’.
    • Identify your mobile hotspot adapter, right click and go to ‘Properties’.
    • Open Sharing tab and Uncheck “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. WiFi Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) related issue - Similar Threads - WiFi Hotspot Passpoint

2. Wifi hotspot issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi hotspot issue: I am trying to connect my laptop with my android hotspot. Websites like codechef and codeforces are opening but google websites like youtube etc. are not opening. The error shown is "unexpectedly closed the connection" or "took too long to respond". When I use another...
  3. HotSpot and WiFi

HotSpot and WiFi: Everytime I restart my laptop the wifi button is greyed out and the when clicking on the hotspot it keeps loading and nothing happens. I ran over some answers on this and found some cmd commands to reset the firewall and others and it works too. But on restarting the same...
  4. Hotspot Issue and WIFI

Hotspot Issue and WIFI: kindly i need your support in this two issues the first one when i connect my laptop with internet cable the hotspot not working it tries to open and close it self however it was working normally and when i connect with WiFi it is working the second issue now is WiFi it...
  5. Wifi Hotspot

Wifi Hotspot: I cant start my wifi hotspot, when i go into setting and turn it on, it said we cant setup hotspot, is work well after a month but then suddenly it decide to stop working, i tried to do anything on the internet, nothing work, hosted network when i check netsh wlan show...
  6. wifi hotspot

wifi hotspot: when I on my laptop hotspot I cant connect on any mobile but internet is work onlaptop plz help!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-hotspot/deeb07f8-b396-413f-8f65-97cbcfd7a967
  7. hotspot 2.0 (passpoint) on microsoft surface and windows 10 pro

hotspot 2.0 (passpoint) on microsoft surface and windows 10 pro: Hi, I am trying to setup hotspot 2.0 on my surface device. I am aware of following post: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-80 However, I don't have subscription with Boingo, or any other service that can provide me with profile. I would like to authenticate...
  8. wifi hotspot connection issues

wifi hotspot connection issues: my issue is with the WiFi hotspot connectivity, other devices say its has IP address configuration failure when they try to connect to my pc hotspot how can I solve this issue correctly...
  9. issue related to window 10 mobile hotspot

issue related to window 10 mobile hotspot: HOW I CAN TURN ON THE MOBILE HOTSPOT BY USING A DIAL UP CONNECTION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/issue-related-to-window-10-mobile-hotspot/64098083-36fa-48a1-b4af-753ca58533d8
  10. wifi hotspot

wifi hotspot: i tried to create a wifi hotspot in window 10, so i used command prompt but after creating it is notworking and showing that the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the request, then i installed a wifi hotspot software but that's also not running and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to connect wifi hotspot 2.0