Windows 10: WiFi hotspot with firewall

Discus and support WiFi hotspot with firewall in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, in a smaller company where I work, I would like to create wifi network without access to our local network (network printer, network drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/michalmcz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. WiFi hotspot with firewall

Hello,

in a smaller company where I work, I would like to create wifi network without access to our local network (network printer, network drives etc.)

I have one older laptop with Windows 10 and with broken keyboard, so I would like to use the laptop for this purpose. My idea is to create classic permament hotspot in Windows settings and then block all the local IP addresses in Windows firewall (192.*.*.* and 10.*.*.*).

Is it possible like this? Or do you have better idea?

Thank you.

(I don't want to buy any special router if it's possible to use just the broken laptop for this.)

submitted by /u/michalmcz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/michalmcz, Aug 18, 2020

2. Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall

Sir... I'm from the Philippines...regarding in what situation is all about... I having problem too, its about my Avast Firewall, it's act to block my Windows 10 Hotspot, i figure it out that my problem of having disconnection when i active my win 10 hotspot while avast is on, when i disable it, my hotspot works......can you tell me step by step how to configure to work properly my win 10 hotspot while the avast firewall is on???....by the way I'm just disable only firewall of avast but the whole operation of my anti-virus is working, just the Firewall...and its work while i disable Avast Firewall....PLS help me about it!

MikeNielsen, Aug 18, 2020
  3. [mjc] Win User
    Windows 10, Mcafee Firewall, Ethernet Broadband, Dell XPS User trying to use Win10 Hotspot for Ipad and Iphone

Questions from Nathanial with my responses underlined:

We would like to ask some questions to know the best possible resolution.

• Have you tried changing the password of the Wifi hotspot and update the password on your phone?
      Per your question, I just completed this: Edited my wifi hotspot password to a different one, "forgot" that wifi hotspot on my iPhone, selected it again and used new password, the iPhone was given a secure connection
      (indicated by the locked lock icon) but again in red reads "No Internet Connection." Clicking IPhone info, the suggestion was to reboot my modem, which I did and then reboot my pc (because doing that 3 times fast in the 90s worked magic) but to no avail.

• Have you tried connecting different device on your Wifi hotspot and check if the issue persists?
      I have tried all the same steps mentioned above with my ipad as well...both, however, have the same ios. The ipad pro did not work either and had same result.

• Have you tried to connect your phone to different Wifi hotspot and check if the issue persists?
      Both ipad and iPhone have used wifi hotspots seamlessly around the world several times with no issues. I run my iPhone hotspot and my ipad pro connects to it as does dell/win10.

I am guessing here, but i think the closest i have come to a resolution was to tinker with my mcafee firewall to try and "allow" my iPhone ipaddress through but I followed steps and it did not work. Plus, that just
    sounds to superuserish to me. However, my windows defender firewall is off and mcafee firewall is on...to complete the scenario.

This is a fairly default setup I have along with thousands of other dell pc's sold with win 10 and mcafee. I am shocked how elusive this setup is.

michael

[mjc], Aug 18, 2020
  4. EdTittel Win User

WiFi hotspot with firewall

Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall

In general, if the firewall is acting to block mobile hotspot access, an exception to "punch a hole through the firewall" must somehow be created to permit it to provide wifi access to other users. The exact details on how to do this depends on which firewall you're using. Because you didn't provide that information in your original post, please share it now. Then others (including me) can make more pointed suggestions about how to proceed.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

WiFi hotspot with firewall

1. WiFi hotspot with firewall - Similar Threads - WiFi hotspot firewall

2. wifi hotspot not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi hotspot not working: my wifi properties /sharing/home network connection/ is only showing one option which is ethernet. .y cant i get any other options to choose from//?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-hotspot-not-working/1012b8c4-fa2b-4404-ab83-fa3d2941c418
  3. WiFi hotspot with no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi hotspot with no internet: WiFi hotspot with no internet I want to use the WiFi hotspot to create a LAN without the unreasonable demand that I have an internet connection to enable this feature. Without an uplink, the WiFi hotspot switch is greyed out for no reason at all, and I'm informed it's...
  4. Wifi hotspot issue

Wifi hotspot issue: I am trying to connect my laptop with my android hotspot. Websites like codechef and codeforces are opening but google websites like youtube etc. are not opening. The error shown is "unexpectedly closed the connection" or "took too long to respond". When I use another...
  5. HotSpot and WiFi

HotSpot and WiFi: Everytime I restart my laptop the wifi button is greyed out and the when clicking on the hotspot it keeps loading and nothing happens. I ran over some answers on this and found some cmd commands to reset the firewall and others and it works too. But on restarting the same...
  6. Wifi Hotspot

Wifi Hotspot: I cant start my wifi hotspot, when i go into setting and turn it on, it said we cant setup hotspot, is work well after a month but then suddenly it decide to stop working, i tried to do anything on the internet, nothing work, hosted network when i check netsh wlan show...
  7. wifi hotspot

wifi hotspot: when I on my laptop hotspot I cant connect on any mobile but internet is work onlaptop plz help!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-hotspot/deeb07f8-b396-413f-8f65-97cbcfd7a967
  8. wifi hotspot

wifi hotspot: hi ive got a problem with my hp g60 laptop ,I cant turn my wifi hotspot on ,it keeps saying ,unable to turn wifi hotspot on ,,,, need help ,,,,how do you fix this and ive downloaded the wireless drivers twice ,still didn't work...
  9. wifi hotspot

wifi hotspot: i tried to create a wifi hotspot in window 10, so i used command prompt but after creating it is notworking and showing that the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the request, then i installed a wifi hotspot software but that's also not running and...
  10. wifi hotspot problem

wifi hotspot problem: when i make the hotspot on from smartphone it get connected with the laptop but it shows ACCESS TYPE NO INTERNET CONNECTION. please solve this issue so that i can do some work. 33462