Windows 10: Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band

Discus and support Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have this string of smart lights that are able to connect to wifi and then be controlled by an Amazon Echo. I go to a university whose wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bkellz28, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Bkellz28 Win User

Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band

So I have this string of smart lights that are able to connect to wifi and then be controlled by an Amazon Echo. I go to a university whose wifi network doesn't exactly work with these kinds of devices so long story short, I am using the wifi hotspot on my Windows Surface to connect them. The lights are only able to connect to a 2.4 GHz network band and so I had the Surface's wifi hotspot set to use 2.4 GHz. This worked for a while, but now I have an issue where the hotspot will only use 5.0 GHz. Despite having it set to 2.4 GHz, I get a message that tells me it is using 5.0 GHz (see screenshot below). Any fixes to this? Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band f7903d6e-2d22-4008-8423-3afb281acb03?upload=true.jpg

:)

Bkellz28, Jan 24, 2019
  2. Chuck Cz Win User

Win 10 Mobile Hotspot config to 5 Ghz band gets: The selected network band isn't available. Select a different band and try again.

Win 10 1703 w/ all updates on and HP 255 G5 Notebook w/ all updates.

Trying to get a WiFi Mobile Hotspot running. Configured with Network Band to 5 GHz gets error "The selected network band isn't available. Select a different band and try again." Have reviewed property settings and all looks good. Laptop has dual band WiFi
    radios.

Further information.

1. Laptop is Ethernet network connected.

2. WiFi controller is: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Driver 7/2/2017 19.51.4.2. WiFi connectiod is Enabled or Not Connected. Diagnostics are clean.

3. If I config Network Band to 2.4 GHz, all works well.

4. The laptop connects to WiFi on the 5 GHz band just fine (in place of Ethernet). This test proves the WiFi radio is working and enabled.

Google search on the error message gets no relevant hits.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Chuck Cz, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Bkellz28 Win User

So I have this string of smart lights that are able to connect to wifi and then be controlled by an Amazon Echo. I go to a university whose wifi network doesn't exactly work with these kinds of devices so long story short, I am using the wifi hotspot on
    my Windows Surface to connect them. The lights are only able to connect to a 2.4 GHz network band and so I had the Surface's wifi hotspot set to use 2.4 GHz. This worked for a while, but now I have an issue where the hotspot will only use 5.0 GHz. Despite
    having it set to 2.4 GHz, I get a message that tells me it is using 5.0 GHz (see screenshot below). Any fixes to this?
    Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band f7903d6e-2d22-4008-8423-3afb281acb03?upload=true.jpg

Bkellz28, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Windows Hotspot

Hi Hariprasad,

Faulty WiFi adapter is one of the possible reasons why you are not able to connect to a hotspot that has 5.2 GHz Band. For us to assist you regarding your network issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you tried using another device to connect to your hotspot that runs on the 5.2 GHz band?
    • Are you using a third-party software to setup your hotspot?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Wifi Hotspot Won't Use 2.4 GHz Network Band - Similar Threads - Wifi Hotspot Won't

2. Problems with ping on the 2.4 GHz band?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with ping on the 2.4 GHz band?: Periodically in any online game every 5-7 minutes the ping jumps from 20 to 40-60 and this is accompanied by such good glitches, overclocking for one or two seconds.This happens only in the 2.4 Hz range.For example, everything is stable on the 5 GHz band, on the same...
  3. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  4. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  5. Laptop will only connect to 5.0 GHz band but the 2.4 GHz band shows "no internet connection".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop will only connect to 5.0 GHz band but the 2.4 GHz band shows "no internet connection".: I just installed a new WiFi router from Xfinity. My HP Windows 10 laptop is connecting to the 5.0 GHz band but not to the 2.4 GHz band. It shows "no internet connection". I've checked the duel band drivers they are updated and have tried rebooting my laptop as well as...
  6. How to create a Dual Band Wifi Hotspot?

How to create a Dual Band Wifi Hotspot?: Hi, I'm trying to share my ethernet connection and create a Dual Band hotspot. When I turn the hotspot on, with the Network band set to "Any", I get the error message: You're sharing your connection over the 5 GHz network band. The network might not appear on devices that...
  7. Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?: One of my users has recently experienced bad WiFi-connectivity. At boot, all was good; though after some time the number of quarter-circles indicating field strength went down, and connections became bad, at times making video conferencing MS teams lousy to impossible. I...
  8. 5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz: I have a problem: I have a good Wifi Router and 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload on all my devices ecpect my windows pc. A few weeks ago I had 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload on my 5ghz network ... but now I have 50 Mbps download and a unstable ping in games. When...
  9. 2 WiFi networks, 1 laptop, 4 cameras.....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 WiFi networks, 1 laptop, 4 cameras.....: Kind of an involved technical question. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am running Blue Iris NVR software on a Windows 10 laptop. The built-in wifi adapter is 2.4ghz only. I added a 5ghz USB adapter. The 4 cameras are 2.4ghz only. Currently, the cameras...
  10. wifi network band

wifi network band: I can't connect to 5GHz network band from 2.4GHz. I need it to play video games on Geforce Now. My friend is connected to the same university wifi and he gets 5GHz connection. My Laptop is Dell inspirion 7347. Thanks...