Windows 10: Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection

Discus and support Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ** My System Think Pad X1 Carbon 5th: Model: 20HR-S1780 Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C Dock Windows 10 What happened today illustrates the problem. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Persist, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Persist Win User

Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection

** My System
    Think Pad X1 Carbon 5th: Model: 20HR-S1780
    Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C Dock
    Windows 10

What happened today illustrates the problem.

My computer was on and my wifi (my-wifi) was working.

**** “My-wifi”
    The computer normally shows my-wifi as “connected, secured”. Settings for my-wifi show:
    . “connect automatically when in range” = on
    . Private network
    . use random addresses = off
    . set as metered connection = off.
    . IP assignment = automatic DHCP
    . protocol = 802.1ac
    . Security = WPA2-personal
    . Description = intel R dual ban wireless AC 8265

After restarting my computer and I had no wifi / internet connection. It did not connect to my-wifi.

**** wifi source SG-A15050529

My computer offered me a “disconnect” from SG-A15050529 - and so seems be connected to this source. This is confusing as it seemed to be connected and yet I had no internet.

I do not know the source of this wifi. No-one in this house has a Samsung Galaxy mobile. One guess is that this is a Samsung Galaxy mobile hot-spot.

When this happens, I disconnect from SG-A15050529 and connect to my-wifi. This is simple but I want to stop this happening. Sometimes half way through a computer session my computer connects to this unwanted source.

When I click on “windows task bar” wifi icon, I see
    “SG-A15050529 Open” To the left of this is a wifi symbol with an exclamation mark.

When I am not connected to SG-A15050529 and click on this it expands to show
    “Other people might be able to see information sent over this network:
    “connect automatically” is not-ticked
    There is also a “connect” button.

When I right click on the “connect” It shows options: (1) connect (2) forget and (3) properties. Yesterday I chose “forget” and hoped this would fix the problem but today it happened again on start-up.)

When I right click on SG-A15050529, this opens “settings” and I see:
    Settings SG-A15050529
    Connect automatically when in range = off
    Use random address for this network = off
    Set metered connection = off
    IP assignment = automatic (DHCP) with “edit” button
    “Do you have a question” and a “get help” button. Clicking on this button took me to a chat “how can we help you”

When I click on the “connect” SG-A15050529 button. I get message “you are unable to connect to this network”. This is confusing as after the restart the computer (1) offered me a “disconnect” from SG-A15050529 - and so seems be connected, and (2) it seems that I cannot connect to this source.

This first started after I connected my Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C Dock. I reviewed the Dock user guide and there is no mention of wifi. So I now doubt that the dock is causing this.

I tried opening settings . wifi > manage known networks with filter = “all” but SG-A15050529 is not on the list of networks even though it is shown in the list when I click on the task bar wifi icon.

How do I get my computer to ignore this unwanted wifi and stay connected to “my-wifi”

:)

Persist, Sep 16, 2018
  2. wabbles Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Sep 16, 2018
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Internet through wifi connection

Hi Sammy,

A few possible reasons can cause WiFi connection issues. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Can you connect to the WiFi hotspot of your router? If yes, what is the status of the connection?
    • Does your laptop automatically connect to the WiFi? Do you need to type a password when connecting?
    • Can your laptop detect other WiFi hotspots around your location?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter while connected using WiFi. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. To run it, follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • In the search bar, type Network problems, and then select Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection

Assigning a default WiFi connection

Is there any specific way to force Windows to connect to a certain WiFi connection?

Since my PC keeps connecting to a commercial WiFi hotspot rather than to my home network when it boots.

Things I have tried:

• "Connect to suggested WiFi hotspots" has been turned off
    • Home network has been set to "connect automatically" when connecting
    • Hotspot networks have been "forgotten" in the WiFi settings
    Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem?

Sakura2628, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection

1. Wifi keeps swapping to an unwanted wifi connection - Similar Threads - Wifi keeps swapping

2. Wifi keeps swapping to ethernet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi keeps swapping to ethernet?: My PC wifi keeps swapping to ethernet and I have tried everything that has been suggested like resetting my PC and uninstalling and reinstalling my ethernet driver but so far nothing has worked....
  3. Wifi keeps swapping to ethernet?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi keeps swapping to ethernet?: My PC wifi keeps swapping to ethernet and I have tried everything that has been suggested like resetting my PC and uninstalling and reinstalling my ethernet driver but so far nothing has worked....
  4. WiFi connection keeps dropping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connection keeps dropping: my computer keeps disconnecting me from my wireless network connection. It connects then drops, and says No Internet, secured. Then it will reconnect for a bit, and drop again. Cannot access any sites. I have tried resetting adapter, and it will reconnect, then drop again. I...
  5. WiFi connection keeps dropping

WiFi connection keeps dropping: my computer keeps disconnecting me from my wireless network connection. It connects then drops, and says No Internet, secured. Then it will reconnect for a bit, and drop again. Cannot access any sites. I have tried resetting adapter, and it will reconnect, then drop again. I...
  6. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting: Hi all,I am trying to use Windows to bridge my wifi connection to non wifi devices. I have successfully setup the bridge in Network Connections. However, the wifi only stays connected for a few seconds before it disconnects everything is working as expected, with wired...
  7. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting: Hi all,I am trying to use Windows to bridge my wifi connection to non wifi devices. I have successfully setup the bridge in Network Connections. However, the wifi only stays connected for a few seconds before it disconnects everything is working as expected, with wired...
  8. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. WiFi connection, keep loosing

WiFi connection, keep loosing: Suddenly I could not connect with my wifi. It connected with my tablet and another computer. When I looked at the little icon at the bottom right next to the battery status icon, instead of the little curved things coming out, it showed a circle that looked something like...
  10. Wifi connection keeps disconnecting

Wifi connection keeps disconnecting: Hey, guys, so I go to college and I use my school's Wifi. My roommates don't have this problem so it's just me. Whenever it disconnects, I go to the Network and Sharing Center to diagnose it. When I diagnose it, it fixes it and I get this (attached an image). But after...