Windows 10: Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser.

Discus and support Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop will connect only when I am within a few feet of the router. No other laptop in the house has this problem. Also, it happens at other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TonyRichie, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser.

My laptop will connect only when I am within a few feet of the router. No other laptop in the house has this problem. Also, it happens at other locations too. I've checked the router and done troubleshooting but it gets me nowhere. All my power settings are on max. I'm the only one with Windows 10. This laptop worked well enough in this regard when I first got it about a year ago. Suddenly it went weak. Help!

* Original title: connection issues

* Moved from Education/Win 10

:)

TonyRichie, Mar 1, 2020
  2. erkgoer Win User

Wifi Connectivity and Browser Usage

I followed the troubleshooting steps above. They did not resolve the wifi connectivity or browser usage settings.

My laptop still will not stay connected to wifi, and browsers are still freezing or timing out when trying to load webpages.

erkgoer, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Varlokkur Win User
    Laptop connects to wifi-sense TWC Wifi network, despite my settings

I have Windows 10 Home, fully updated.

My next-door neighbor rents his cable modem from Time Warner, so there's an open network called TWC Wifi (and also a Cable Wifi). I have never manually connected to this network, and it doesn't show up in my list of "Known networks"--the only 2 networks listed there are my own network and my mother-in-law's. I've turned off Wifi-sense. Yet, virtually every single time I wake my laptop from sleep, I go to load a website and get the login for Time Warner and then notice that my computer is connected to TWC Wifi or Cable Wifi. Again, these are NOT known networks, wifi-sense is turned off... why does my computer still prefer these open networks over my own home network (the router is less than 10 feet away)?

I'm at my wit's end. Is this a bug? Is there any way to set my computer to avoid these SSIDs?

Varlokkur, Mar 1, 2020
  4. x509 Win User

Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser.

Laptop loses wifi connection and often is difficult to connect.

So about a week ago my wife bought a Lenovo Yoga 730, and of course I had to set it up, migrate all applications, settings, and data. At first, the Yoga kept losing WiFi connections, even though
    • my laptop right next to the Yoga system had no WiFi problems
    • both systems were on a desk about 2 feet away from the router

So I did a search and discovered that this system had a LOT of complaints about dropped WiFi. Most people said that they had to send the system back to Lenovo, where the WiFi board was replaced with one from a different manufacturer. But I was lucky to find a post where the guy said that Lenovo was using a driver from 2011, and that a much newer driver was available from the manufactuer's website.

So I downloaded and installed this driver, and now this laptop has a stable, reliable WiFI connection. Lucky for me, or else I would look bad to my wife. *cry

I would like to add that all the guys on this forum help me look GOOD to my wife for our home tech. *Smile

x509, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser.

1. Wifi: Laptop will only connect when I am within a few feet of the browser. - Similar Threads - Wifi Laptop connect

2. I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and...: I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and no other apps. I have Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-connected-to-wifi-but-system-says-no-internet/48ccf288-f46d-423c-99c1-d7d7ba89f365
  3. I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and...: I am connected to wifi, but system says no internet. Only browsers can access internet and no other apps. I have Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-connected-to-wifi-but-system-says-no-internet/48ccf288-f46d-423c-99c1-d7d7ba89f365
  4. No Internet when Wifi is Connected to Hotspot only for my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Internet when Wifi is Connected to Hotspot only for my Laptop.: Hi, The issue I am facing is that I am not able to access the internet like before when connected to my smartphone's hotspot. It worked with no issue till yesterday. Now, it shows that I am connected, but cannot access the internet.The issue, as I suppose, is from the Windows...
  5. No Internet when Wifi is Connected to Hotspot only for my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Internet when Wifi is Connected to Hotspot only for my Laptop.: Hi, The issue I am facing is that I am not able to access the internet like before when connected to my smartphone's hotspot. It worked with no issue till yesterday. Now, it shows that I am connected, but cannot access the internet.The issue, as I suppose, is from the Windows...
  6. No Internet when Wifi is Connected to Hotspot only for my Laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi Says I am Not Connected But I am

Wifi Says I am Not Connected But I am: Currently on Windows 10 and it says I'm not connected to the internet but I am.When I look at my router/modem it says no internet secured but I can use the internet and web browser just fine.I have reset my mode through Xfinity and have reset at Netgear router level. Nothing...
  8. Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected: I have one laptop (HP) that won't stay connected to wifi. It worked yesterday until I installed a new router/modem. All other devices unaffected. Here's my new setup: New Arris SBG7400AC2 router/modem connected by coax. 2.4 and 5 have channel auto. SSIDs: Work, Work5G DHCP...
  9. Surface Laptop 3 feet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Laptop 3 feet: Hi, i got my Surface Laptop 3 about 2 weeks ago and i'm wondering if i go into a Microsoft Store and try to get replacement feet as seen in other questions and answers where people say going to a Microsoft store would work, would the person who is trying to get replacement...
  10. wifi only connecting within airplane mode now, windows 10

wifi only connecting within airplane mode now, windows 10: After working normally for months, suddenly my Thinkpad X1 Yoga’s wifi stopped seeing my local router or 6 other connections. Normal troubleshooting, rebooting router etc, didn’t work. Device manager showed latest driver and Intel dual band ac 8265 driver 20.50.1.1 working...