Windows 10: Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server

Discus and support Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks If you connect / attach / share a NAS drive to your Windows machine you should be able to get decent file transfer speeds across wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server

Hi folks

If you connect / attach / share a NAS drive to your Windows machine you should be able to get decent file transfer speeds across wifi connections (assume you have 5GHZ wifi available).

I'm regularly getting speeds of around 110 MB/s (440 Mb/s) on a WIFI LAN here.
    I can live with that. (FROM WINDOWS TO NAS).

Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server [​IMG]

Bonkers thing is if I transfer files the other way around (i.e FROM NAS TO Windows) speed is a lot slower ??? so why is that --any ideas.

From a Linux NAS to another Linux NAS I'm also getting decent speeds on the network same as from Windows TO NAS.

So any network guru out there --any ideas. !!! I tend on the whole not to copy much stuff FROM a NAS to WINDOWS but I'm just curious as to why there's almost a 4 times speed difference over the same network !!!!!

(Running W10 PRO with latest updates).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2018
  2. Aandriy Win User

Cannot connect to network NAS share which has no password

I have two computers, Android phone and old style NAS. One computer is running Windows 7. Second one is running Windows 10 (upgrade from Windows 8). I am running Workgroup, not domain. My NAS connected to network and it is embedded Linux machine. There is
    no option to set access password for NAS. NAS is opened to Everyone or All network users with NO PASSWORD. I can easily access NAS from my Windows 7 or from Android phone through WiFi router which is also DHCP on the network. But I cannot access NAS from Windows
    10 machine because password for login must be present in Widows security login window. I am going in circles: Windows demands to type in password and do not going for connect without it but if I type it in my NAS denied connection as it do not accept passwords.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Andriy

Aandriy, Apr 3, 2018
  3. things not working after threshold november update!!!

ok guys thanks for all your help so far....but i was able to fix my animated wallpapers with a patch from 3planesoft.....but i,m still having problems with operating a simple workgroup network with this one uptated machine......i only did the update to one
    machine to test it and it still wont see all the computers on my network.....if i access them directly through explorer by typing \\diagnosticpc\ then i have access, but the network window will not show all the pc's on my network.....i cant see my linux nas
    server running cifs/smb protocal either but i still have access to it....all i gota do is \\nasserver\ and theres my files....but i open network window and nothing shows up....alll my other machines are running windows 10 pro 64 bit RTM and they work just
    fine and can see all the other machines on the network including the Linux nas server....but the one machine i did the nov update to will not see some or all of them depending on the day or the way i've accessed them......also if i remote desktop into my backuppc
    then it shows up in the network window but otherwise it doesnt!......i have 4 desktops and a laptop all running win10 64 bit RTM and one nas4free 16tb nas server. all on a high speed gigabit network. and i did the update on one of them. (GAMINGPC) there is
    nothing wrong with my network and all the drivers in all the machines are up to date as far as windows is concerned. this is really really annoying and i'm not gonna upgrade any more of my machines with the nov update untill this bug is resolved!

as always thank you,

Jason

jediknightjason, Apr 3, 2018
Thema:

Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server

1. Wifi Network speed from Windows to NAS (Linux) server - Similar Threads - Wifi Network speed

2. Download speeds abysmal, despite wifi network speed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download speeds abysmal, despite wifi network speed...: I'm a little at a loss here. Getting speeds ~40mbps or lower, despite my wifi sitting at 721 mbps in the network connections information on my wifi connection. Tried killing tasks and services that seemed like they might be the problem, but to no avail. Can anyone help me?...
  3. WiFi Network speed and internet speed question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Network speed and internet speed question: Okay I don't understand this I have a 1gb network modem/router thru CenturyLink and what I don't understand is on all my local networking I get the 1gig speed. On my wired machines when I access the internet I actually get 900mb download/upload speeds, but when I use my...
  4. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  5. NAS on network

NAS on network: Hi guys I have some problem with my windows. In fact i can't see my devices(nas) connected on my network. I only can see my pc. I need your help. I have Bitdefender and i'm connected with cpl box. Thanks...
  6. RPC from Windows client to Linux server

RPC from Windows client to Linux server: Hello, I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question. However, I am at the end of my rope here. I need to rpc from a windows 10 client to a linux (RHEL 7) server. I am very new to rpc (must be DCE RPC), so If you have a working example (hello world maybe?)...
  7. NAS transfer speeds

NAS transfer speeds: Whats a good speed for transferring files from PC to NAS? I am currently transferring a single large file from the PC to the NAS and its getting a speed of around 20mb/s. The connection between me and the NAS is powerline 1200 with gigabit ports and cat 6 cables. The route...
  8. NAS server not visible

NAS server not visible: We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop...
  9. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...
  10. Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!

Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!: Hi folks I tried all the standard stuff to get access to NAS / Linux machines from W10 including re-enabling SMB1 and killing the auto removal of SMB1 -- nothing worked. Then I had a brain storm -- get rid of CITRIX (I can run that as a VM for access to work remote...