Windows 10: WiFi no longer works in Win10

Discus and support WiFi no longer works in Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have an HP DV6 laptop running both Win7 and Win10, which I upgraded to Win10 when it first came ouy. Has been working fine, since. Only use WiFi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mark Phelps, Feb 23, 2017.

1. WiFi no longer works in Win10

Have an HP DV6 laptop running both Win7 and Win10, which I upgraded to Win10 when it first came ouy. Has been working fine, since.

Only use WiFi when we take this on vacation, once a year. WiFi worked fine last April, but this week, does not work at all in in in Win10. Works fine i Win7, though.

The LED in F12 key does not change from red (in Win10), although Airplane mode does toggle on and off. Troubleshooting finds nothing it can fix. Device manager shows no errors. Network connections shows red x in Realtek WLAN.

My guess is the driver for the "WiFi switch" (f12) got overwritten,but I can find no such device either in Win7 or Win10.

Have checked Windows Updates back to Aug 2016 but found nothing specific to drivers, and have driver updates disabled.

I could try a repair-install or clean-install, but would rather see if anyone else has run into this and fixed it, first. And please do NOT send me to the HP support forums -- as the last time I went there, it was a total waste of time!

:)

Mark Phelps, Feb 23, 2017
  2. Bob.A.LOU Win User

HP laptop worked okay until Nov Win 10 update now WIFI 10%

WIFI now 10 % of what it was. which is basically unusable

networking no longer works

work groups no longer work

computer extremely and with wifi at 10 % unusable

nothing has changed except for win10 updates

HP dv7-6b77dx laptop i-7 chip

Bob.A.LOU, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Thurman Win User
    Microsoft webcam no longer works with Win10 Anniversary edition

My Microsoft webcam no longer works, but did 3 weeks ago. Minimum help from MSFT indicates it could be anti-virus but that software is Defender that has no help.

Thurman, Feb 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

WiFi no longer works in Win10

Silly question- can you toggle WiFi on and off in the Action Centre? (where the Airplane button is)

The exact model of your laptop may help someone.
    Note: appears listed as Vista/Win 7 on HP's site.

And can you confirm you've already tried the troubleshooter (rt click tray icon)?

Also in
    Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    rt click Wifi, click Diagnose

dalchina, Feb 23, 2017
  5. Dalchina:

Laptop is HP dv6-6c14nr came with Win7, upgraded to Win10 early on, worked fine until now -- despite lack of HP win10 drivers.

Tried toggling Airplane mode in Action Center, but while WiFi would toggle to ON, it would immediately then toggle back to Off. Could not get it to stay on.

Tried troubleshooting again, it failed again -- said wireless capability is turned off -- plug in ethernet cable. Also said Radio is off (SW switch). Said it fixed it, but it did not.

So, I plugged in a network cable to compose and send this reply -- but noticed suddenly that the f12 LED was now white, not red!

So, disconnected the network cable, retried WiFi -- and it now works! I then tried toggling WiFi with f12 and now, it does toggle off and on.

So, it looks like running the diags again actually fixed it.

Thanks much for the suggestions -- I really appreciate them.

Mark Phelps, Feb 23, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ha! A troubleshooter that actually helped.. amazing, even if not straightforwardly. Problem is often we're just guessing..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WiFi no longer works in Win10

1. WiFi no longer works in Win10 - Similar Threads - WiFi longer works

2. Wifi On My GF computer no longer works help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi On My GF computer no longer works help: So the wifi adapter no longer allows her to access the internet even though it says connected and secured but no matter what ive tried has fixed ive tried updating her drivers manually and automatically flushing the dns and some other CMD stuff ive tried restarting pc...
  3. Wifi On My GF computer no longer works help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi On My GF computer no longer works help: So the wifi adapter no longer allows her to access the internet even though it says connected and secured but no matter what ive tried has fixed ive tried updating her drivers manually and automatically flushing the dns and some other CMD stuff ive tried restarting pc...
  4. WiFi is no longer listed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi is no longer listed: This started when I didn't see my networks list when I left clicked my network icon in the taskbar. There is no WiFi listed on my network and internet settings list. I went into services to see if WLAN was running and it wasn't. I went to start it and these screens came up....
  5. WiFi is no longer listed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi is no longer listed: This started when I didn't see my networks list when I left clicked my network icon in the taskbar. There is no WiFi listed on my network and internet settings list. I went into services to see if WLAN was running and it wasn't. I went to start it and these screens came up....
  6. WiFi is no longer listed

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName no longer works on my Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName no longer works on my Win10: Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.985PowerShell Commandlet Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName no longer accepts the 'TaskName' parameter.It does have a -Name <Object> However, lines likeGet-ScheduledTask -Name "Proxy"return nothing. Hoping someone knows how to make this work again.The...
  8. my wifi no longer works after Windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my wifi no longer works after Windows update: After a Windows update in the first part of September, my network list is visible and it says it's connected but there's no connection and I can't get on the Internet. Seems like it's a common problem. I've tried a thousand things. I have a Surface Book 2 that's connecting...
  9. Wifi no longer in settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi no longer in settings: I suddenly can no longer turn my wifi "ON" despite the fact that the laptop does not have a hardware switch to turn it off. Only Windows 10 created such a switch in the settings menu, but now, suddenly the "WI-Fi" category no longer even exists in my settings. I keep getting...
  10. WiFi network adapter no longer working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi network adapter no longer working: I recently attempted to update the Intel(R) dual band wireless-AC driver, however when I did, it said the driver installation failed. Since then I can no longer see and networks. All my network adapter drivers say “Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this...