Windows 10: Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to...

Discus and support Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! So I have a problem. The wifi isnt showing in the network settings and i dont want to use ethernet cables. I tried to uninstall then reinstall the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShaneJaucian, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to...

Hi! So I have a problem. The wifi isnt showing in the network settings and i dont want to use ethernet cables. I tried to uninstall then reinstall the Wireless network adapter by restarting, but it just disappeared after uninstalling. Please help.

:)

ShaneJaucian, Apr 27, 2021

2. Wireless network adapter disappearing?

Hi, I've had an Asus Q400A for about 4 years now. A few months ago, it started doing this thing where I'll be working online, and suddenly I'll lose wifi connection. Then the wifi bars at the bottom of the screen have a yellow exclamation mark on
    them, and then a few seconds later it turns into the Ethernet sign with a red x on it. My wireless adapter disappears completely. If I go to my device manager, all that is listed under my network adapters is the "Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller (NDIS 6.30)." I am missing my "Intell Centrino Wireless-N 2230" wireless network adapter. It's like my computer's wifi is completely disabled, and I am only able to connect to the internet via Ethernet. Sometimes I am able to fix it with the troubleshooter
    before the adapter shuts off completely and disappears, as it always turns yellow with the exclamation mark for a few seconds before disappearing. If I am fast enough I can run the troubleshooter and it will reset the wireless network adapter before it disappears.
    But when this doesn't work or I am too late, not even restarting or shutting down my computer will bring it back. It just kind of comes back on its own after I let my computer sit turned off for a few hours. This is INCREDIBLY annoying, as I am a busy high
    school senior, and most of my school work and internship work is done on my computer. I have tried reinstalling the intell wireless adapter driver, and that did not work. What should I do? Is this a hardware problem? I have an Asus Q400A notebook running Windows
    10. I have also tried turning off the option for the computer to turn off the adapter to save battery and that did not work.

carsond2704, Apr 27, 2021
  3. USB Wireless adapter not connecting to Wifi

Hello

I am having trouble making my new USB Wifi Adapter to work. The drivers are working fine but the issue is it is not connecting to wifi.

1. I am using Windows 10
    2. The adapter which I am trying to work is Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps
    3. I have also one USB mini wifi adapter attached to my other USB through which I am currently using internet

Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to... [​IMG]

From the above screenshot, the Wi-Fi 2 is which I am trying to connect. When I right-click on Wi-Fi 2 and click on Connect/Disconnect, It shows the already connected Wifi through USB mini adapter.

When I Disable WiFi and try to connect through WiFi 2 then it shows an error "Change settings, such as making a connection metered"

The device utility does not show any Wifi available connections though there are 2-3 wifi connection is there.

Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to... [​IMG]

any idea how can I make connect to internet using my new Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps Wireless USB Adaptor - Wi Fi 2 on Windows 10 ?

oneandthree, Apr 27, 2021
  4. BobSter2 Win User

Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to...

Wifi Network Adapter disappearing Win10

I'm having wifi problems but I can't figure-out whether it is hardware or software. There is evidence that recent versions of Windows 10 have been causing wifi problems. If the problem is with Windows and they are going to fix it, then I can stop worrying about trying to fix the hardware (I am travelling abroad and it is near-impossible to find expertise/parts/tools).

Gory Details:

System: Levono Yoga2 Pro laptop. Intel Core i7-4500U. 8GB RAM. Windows 10 64 bit.

I have been using Windows 10 since it came out without any problems. I have been keeping it updated.

Precursor to this problem: On 4th November 2016, mid-session, apropos of nothing, my wifi stopped seeing the wifi network it was connected to; or any other wifi networks. (My phone could see plenty). This was evidenced in the Taskbar, Action centre, Settings dialogs of the PC. The Windows version was upto date at the time, but downloading the next week's Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates (9th Nov) fixed the problem. System working AOK. Yay.

(MS update: KB3200970 "Addressed issue with the system tray showing no Wi-Fi connection even when Wi-Fi is present")

System fixed - I made a system-restore point.

The "fix" held for 24 hours, then a new, more severe problem started occurring (='the current problem').

Current problem: After 3 to 5 hours of normal, troublefree operation, the PC stops seeing the wifi entirely. Any menu options associated with wifi networking disappear entirely. The Device Manager can no longer see the Network Adapter (Intel Wireless-N 7260) or its driver software. (That statement is somewhat summmarised - see Note 1 at the bottom of this post for more details).

I can't see any Events in Event Viewer which would explain the disappearing Network Adapter.

If I do a (whole) system restore back to my restore point, then everything is fine for a few hours, then the Network Adapter disappears again, along with any chance of seeing any wifi controls.

System Restore consistently fixes it for a few hours. Then the Network (adapter) consistently disappears again.

So, is that hardware or software?

One might think it is temperture/overheating related, but the problem also once occurred overnight when the PC was switched off (it was fine when I went to bed and switched it off, but was 'broken' when I switched it on again in the morning).

One might think it is Virus related, but everything shows-up clean in MBAM and Avast.

If it is a hardware problem, why would a system restore (to a point a few days ago) fix it?

I'm thinking/hoping that the problem is caused by recent versions of Windows 10 (f,g below). But I can't find examples of other people suffering.

If it is caused by the OS, how does one inform Microsoft about it? (I don't want to join the 'Insiders Community')

Any ideas?

TIA

p.s. I have done as much diagnostics as possible - gory details here:

Note: the text "Result: FAIL" means that after a few hours of normal operation, AOK, the Intel Wireless-N 7260 Network Adapter can suddenly not be detected and any wifi activity/option becomes unavailable. Restart doesn't help. Restoring the system to a previous state fixes the problem (for a few hours).

Scenarios a-e all have the wifi switched on and connected to a wifi network.
    a) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Result: FAIL

b) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in OCTOBER 2016: Result: FAIL

c) System status up-to-date at 10 Nov. Updated Network Adapter DRIVER to a newer version found by Device Manager (but not listed in the manufacturer's website's list of drivers). Result: FAIL

d) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in AUGUST. Retained old NA driver. Downloaded and applied November 9th MS Updates and updated Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions: Result: FAIL

e) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Retained old NA driver. Update Browser (Firefox) Version and Virus definitions, but DID NOT download/apply November 9th MS Update: Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 4 HOURS UNTIL MS FORCES THE LATEST MS OS UPDATES TO BE APPLIED, then runs OK for a few hours then FAILs.

Scenarios f-g have the wifi switched OFF; or switched on but not connected to a wifi network; so that Automatic Updates can't be forced onto the computer.

f) System status reverted to a Restore Point made in August. Wifi switched OFF. Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 14 hours I tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine, as reported by the Device Manager)

g) (follows on from (f))... Wifi now switched ON but options set to "forget" known wifi networks, (so wifi is ON and polling nearby networks, but is not connected to any of them). Result: RUNS FINE FOR THE 6 hours I have (so far) tested it. (i.e. the Network Adapter appears to be fine as reported by the Device Manager)

Conclusion: f and g seem to suggest that the problem arises from later (current) versions of Windows 10. But this is inconclusive, because in scenario (f), the wifi card is not being used and and (g) it isn't being used for sending/receiving internet traffic

(N.B. I am abroad and using my hotel's wifi network(s) to try and use the internet. I have no control over the network itself).

Note 1:

When I say "The device manager can no longer see the Network Adapter" - this is a summary of what happens - infact, it seems to go through 4 separate stages:

1) normal operation - everything AOK.
    2) The PC reports it is still seeing the wifi connnection that it is/was connected to, but is seeing no other wifi networks. The wifi network it connected to can no longer send/receive any data
    3) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260, and 'Properties' shows "No drivers are installed for this device."
    4a) The Device Manager shows a yellow warning triangle on Network adapters> Intel Wireless-N 7260 and Properties shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10). This device does not exist."
    or
    4b) Device Manager, Network adapters> doesn't show Intel Wireless-N 7260 at all.

A few minutes pass between each step through the stages occurring. Other apps running on the PC (e.g. mp3 player) freeze up for a couple of seconds when each stage changes to the next.

edit:
    just found these in the event log immmediately before the latest fail

6 of these:

followed by two of these:

... then FAIL

BobSter2, Apr 27, 2021
Thema:

Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to...

1. Wifi option has disappeared and I can't find the wireless network adapter after trying to... - Similar Threads - Wifi option has

2. Wifi options, drivers and network adapters all disappears

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi options, drivers and network adapters all disappears: I've been experiencing this problem for months now and I've searched and followed through multiple YouTube videos and articles and nothing has fixed this.This is a list of what I have tried.•Perform a clean install of windows.•Update WiFi drivers.•Roll back WiFi...
  3. Wifi options, drivers and network adapters all disappears

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi options, drivers and network adapters all disappears: I've been experiencing this problem for months now and I've searched and followed through multiple YouTube videos and articles and nothing has fixed this.This is a list of what I have tried.•Perform a clean install of windows.•Update WiFi drivers.•Roll back WiFi...
  4. Wifi options, drivers and network adapters all disappears

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wifi is in the Network Adapter Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi is in the Network Adapter Option: Hello, I have an issue with my PC’s wifi connection. The wifi option is missing in the “Network & Internet Setting” and is also missing in the “more network adapter options”. I am using a “TP-Link wireless PCI Express Adapter” for my wifi and under Device manager, the option...
  6. Wifi is in the Network Adapter Option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi is in the Network Adapter Option: Hello, I have an issue with my PC’s wifi connection. The wifi option is missing in the “Network & Internet Setting” and is also missing in the “more network adapter options”. I am using a “TP-Link wireless PCI Express Adapter” for my wifi and under Device manager, the option...
  7. Wireless network card can't find WiFi networks

Wireless network card can't find WiFi networks: Hi! I own a MS Surface Pro 3. It has a built in Marvell Wireless network card. Suddenly it stopped being able to find available networks. I tried connecting a Wireless USB-adapter, and it finds all the networks here. So how can I fix the built-in network card? I have...
  8. laptop wireless network adapter and wifi toggle icon just disappeared.

laptop wireless network adapter and wifi toggle icon just disappeared.: I opened my laptop this morning and it was not connecting, so i checked to see if the wifi was on, i noticed the icon was missing. I went to the device manager to configure the driver but a few network adapters were missing. so i went to the system information to check the...
  9. my wireless adapter has disappeared

my wireless adapter has disappeared: I tried downloading the driver again and reinstalling but every attempt ends in the installer shutting itself down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wireless-adapter-has-disappeared/0d9eb620-b400-45c9-a96d-6af50ea4ea77
  10. WiFi Has Disappeared from Network Adapter in Device Manager-No WiFi

WiFi Has Disappeared from Network Adapter in Device Manager-No WiFi: Hello, Thank you in advancefor any help. I am senior who helps other seniors in this small townkeep their pc ‘s operating as best I can. I have an HP laptopthat was reworked by a shop sometime ago. I updated this pc to WinAnniveresary Issue and then this past Spring to...