Windows 10: WiFi performance and equipment questions

Discus and support WiFi performance and equipment questions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A bunch of internet speed questions. Hoping the answers aren't "no one knows." but that would be no surprise. First, a note on the hardware and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by khl, Feb 1, 2021.

1. KHL
    khl Win User

WiFi performance and equipment questions

A bunch of internet speed questions. Hoping the answers aren't "no one knows." but that would be no surprise.

First, a note on the hardware and software in use. The router is a Linksys E7500 taking a Mediacom feed from a Technicolor DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. Can't use a DOCSIS 3.1 modem because that would interfere with a Direct TV signal sharing the same coax. No, that's not optimum but it can't be changed for reasons beyond my control. Donwnloads shown through Ookla Speedtest through Ethernet are around 450 mbps down and 60 mbps up From what I understand, that's decent asymetrical transfer performance for DOCSIS 3.0

On a Samsung Galaxy 10E phone in an adjoing room, through the Android version of Speedtest, using a5G wifi link, I get 466mbps down and 58mbps up. However on an old Dell 6420 notebook running Windows 10 and on the same 5g wifi link using a USB Edimax AC1200 MU-MIMO WiFi Nano USB 2.0 Adapter, I've gotten Speedtest results no better than 200mbps down and around 40 mbps up.

Okay, the Samsung phone may have a more sophisticated wifi set up and it's time to try something better in the Dell notebook, which is limited to USB 2.0. I've already tried an Expresscard Fresco Logic USB 3.0 adapter and could not get it to work correctly.

The ASUS USB-AC68 USB wifi adapter seems tempting, but in reading reviews on Amazon many users have not been able to get it to work. Also, ASUS no longer has a support forum.

So given the potential roadblocks and dead ends I've encountered, are there any workable suggestions? I get the feeling that "no one knows."

:)

2. cheetahfm Win User

Windows 10 wifi not turning on Acer Aspire laptop

In order to get the list of available wireless networks, you have to:

1. Switch on Connect to suggested open hotspots (see the screenshot in question);
    2. Click on Wifi icon in the right corner. Now you have your networks back.

After that the parameter from Step 1 can be turned off, networks will be listed normally after restarting Wifi.

P.S. I feel rather stupid at the moment. I thought that open hotspots are passwordless hotspots and so are presumably not very safe. So of course I've turned that off during installation.
    Really hard to see any logic in this case.

cheetahfm, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Wifi isn't working

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern, kindly provide the answers for the following questions:

• Did you receive any error messages when trying to connect to WiFi?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Is the issue the same when trying to connect using a different device?

Meanwhile, you can check more advanced steps on this link. We suggest that you also try to follow the steps provided and keep us posted with the
    result.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Feb 1, 2021
  4. WiFi performance and equipment questions

Pavilion x2 not connecting to wifi

Hi,

To resolve your concern about the error message you're encountering which says
    WiFi doesn't have valid IP configuration, we suggest for you to follow these steps and see if it helps:

• Hold down the Shift key.
    • Perform a shutdown from the Start menu.
    • Don't let go of the Shift key until your laptop is off.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

WiFi performance and equipment questions

1. WiFi performance and equipment questions - Similar Threads - WiFi performance equipment

2. Network equipment security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network equipment security: Hello Microsoft Gurus:I have a technical question involving mechanical aspects of securing your accesses from cybercriminals. Having previously owned my own modem/routers, is it more secure than using the service provider's equipment who's security software you have no...
  3. Windows Performance Analyzer question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Performance Analyzer question: This morning I downloaded and Microsoft immediately installed "Windows Performance Analyzer" on my laptop to see how well my system is behaving on startup. The problem is that I do not know how to use it. Something produces ETFs that the analyzer reports on, but I don't know...
  4. Equipment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Equipment: Can someone recomend the best middle of the road setup for Microsoft Flight simulator 2020? i need everything from the computer to controls. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/equipment/72da2741-79b9-4be1-af54-54f50cabb5b2
  5. WiFi Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi Performance Issues: Hi all, This is really a hardware issue so not sure if this is the appropriate place for this message. I have recently upgraded to fibre broadband and the performance on my Win7 laptop is fine with a Netgear A6150 plug in adaptor. However the performance on my Win 10...
  6. WiFi question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi question: A majority of the time on my Asus top gaming FX504 Laptop running windows 10 home, the task bar section When I check Wi-Fi it shows up my Wi-Fi is secure but there's no connection is what it says, but I have great signal strength Also lately in the network connections under...
  7. bitlocker performance penalty question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bitlocker performance penalty question: I'm thinking about using bitlocker on my PC but I'm worried about an impact on performance. I'm using a Samsung Book2 which has a Snapdragon 850 processor, not Intel, 4gB of RAM and runs Windows 10S, yes the "S" version. Not sure if I'll see a significant decrease in...
  8. Guest Performance Question (HDD)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Guest Performance Question (HDD): I'm in the process of building an ESXi setup at home. I will list the specs at the bottom, but my main question comes down to VM performance when running from a spinner HDD. ESXi is running from a 16 USB flash drive. I have an old 64 GB SSD for storing .iso files. Now, the...
  9. Windows RAID 0 question performance question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows RAID 0 question performance question: Hi folks / performance gurus Got an old server 4 HDD storage bays and SSD with Raid 0 -- created 2 arrays of 2 logical HDD's but 4 physical HDD's (1 array 2 X 4TB, 1 array 2 X 3TB) -- Is this better than creating 1 array of all 4 HDD's - I'd lose some space because the...
  10. Performance, speed questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance, speed questions: I wasn't sure where to ask this so I thought I'd start here. I recently bought a new laptop that I thought would be fast performance wise. Imagine my dismay when the new computer runs slightly slower than my nearly 4 year old laptop, according to performance benchmarks and...