Windows 10: WiFi prompt for additional credentials

Discus and support WiFi prompt for additional credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need some help. On Windows 7 when you were connected to a Wireless Network that required additional credentials, there would be this nice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xerxes2985, Nov 7, 2016.

1. WiFi prompt for additional credentials

I need some help. On Windows 7 when you were connected to a Wireless Network that required additional credentials, there would be this nice notification. When you clicked it, it would popup the authentication box, allowing a user to enter their credentials.

WiFi prompt for additional credentials [​IMG]

In Windows 10 however, there is no notification (that I can find how to turn on). If I click the Wireless icon in the taskbar, the credential box will appear.

The reason I would like/need the notification to appear is these particular systems are going to be student used, and I want a visual way for them to know to enter their credentials rather than just tapping the WiFi icon.

Any help/suggestions or scripts etc. that you all know of to make this happen?

Thanks

:)

xerxes2985, Nov 7, 2016
  2. DBaum Win User

WP7 Connecting to wireless corporate network

The network appears in the list of available WiFi networks on the Settings->WiFi page. I select it and am prompted for credentials. I enter the credentials and receive the response: Connection unsuccessful Your phone couldn't reach the Wi-Fi network
    [network name].

DBaum, Nov 7, 2016
  3. nmarttil Win User
    WIFI Connect using Leap protocol

I have WP7 and need to connect to corporate WIFI network that supports LEAP protocol. When I try to connect - i am prompted for password - but nothing on add'l credentials... Help

nmarttil, Nov 7, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

WiFi prompt for additional credentials

Sounds like either a Captive portal or VPN. It helps to know if this is your network or a public one.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  5. This is a work network. There isn't a Captive Portal or VPN. Connection to the WiFi requires AD username and password to authenticate. The authentication method to the Wireless is PEAP, using EAP-MSCHAP v2.

xerxes2985, Nov 7, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If work, that means that they are using specific safeguards to keep people from hooking up rogue devices and leaching bandwidth. It has nothing to do with the Operating System. It has to do with the IT group always thinking ten steps ahead of the users.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  7. I think you're missing the point entirely. This is not the IT group thinking ahead of the users. This is a default notification in Windows 7 that let you know the network you were connecting to required additional authentication.

In my case the Wireless Network is using PEAP as the encryption method. I have about 60 Windows 7 Machines that do this without any special settings in place. What I have noticed is that Windows 10, doesn't notify you that the network requires additional authentication, even if you have "auto-connect" enabled. You have to click the Wi-Fi icon to get the authentication to popup. I am trying to make this simple with a big noticeable notification, rather than modifying the desktop background to tell someone to "click here to connect"

WiFi prompt for additional credentials [​IMG]

xerxes2985, Dec 1, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Again if any connection made through a private network or VPN requires certain credentials, you need to talk to the IT group.

bro67, Dec 1, 2016
  9. I'm marking as solved, because I cannot seem to get what I am looking for from this forum. Apparently my simple question is being turned into something super complicated and not even what I need.

I have credentials. That is not anywhere in the scope of what I need. The question was simply about the popup that Windows 7 does when the WiFi requires additional information (e.g. a username / password), and if there is a way for Windows 10 to have the same behavior.

Apparently Windows 10 just sucks, and MS has gotten rid of useful functionality (BTW the popup isn't something turned on or off, Win7 natively did this).

xerxes2985, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WiFi prompt for additional credentials - Similar Threads - WiFi prompt additional

2. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  3. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  4. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  6. WebDav Keep on Prompting Credential

in Windows 10 Customization
    WebDav Keep on Prompting Credential: Hi All, Please help us to resolve issue We are working on webdav , we are keep on prompted with credential . We tried following solution but still issue exists Solution 1: To resolve this problem, create a registry entry. To do this, follow these steps: Click...
  7. Prompt for Credentials vs Prompt for Credentials on Secure Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prompt for Credentials vs Prompt for Credentials on Secure Desktop: Hello, What is the difference between Prompt for Credentials and ? In both, I have the same thing. 1. Prompt for Credential [ATTACH] 2. Prompt for Credentials on Secure Desktop [ATTACH]...
  8. Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials: Hi, I am using WIn10 Pro 1809 and Office 365 with Documents on OneDrive. I login to Windows with my MS-Account and a Pin. Starting some two month ago (March updates) I got multiple prompts for my WIndows credentials: Often (once a day I receive): [img] [img] Every...
  9. Endless repeating Credentials Prompt in Office365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Endless repeating Credentials Prompt in Office365: Hi All, I have installed current Windows 1809 with an MS Account and PIN for identification. Using the same account I connect to onedrive. Having one Excel sheet on onedrive pinned to the Excel icon. Worked well, but this spring I got several warnings: MS-Outlook 365...
  10. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...