Windows 10: Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked

Discus and support Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 7 year old HP 21 All In One Desktop, with Windows 10 that was installed as the beta update and has been running as Windows 10 since then.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Keith Studley, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked

I have a 7 year old HP 21 All In One Desktop, with Windows 10 that was installed as the beta update and has been running as Windows 10 since then.

The computer has been having problems with staying connected to a wifi connection, unless the Connect Automatically option is checked. I have taken the following TS steps.

1. Restart Computer

2. Ran Network Dx, with no errors found.

3. Disabled Antivirus, and re ran network Dx, no errors found.

4. uninstalled, rebooted computer, and reinstalled all network drivers, and rebooted. Then ran Network DX again, with no errors found.

5. Ran the manufacturers Network DX software, and found no errors.

The signal does decrease at times, to the point of disconnection, then I have to manually reconnect to the wifi network. When reconnecting to the network, it cycles quite a few times between no signal to full signal, before connecting "permanently" to the original network, however, Windows refuses to stay connected to any wifi connection, if the Connect Automatically option is unchecked. What could be going on? How can I fix this? Is it software or hardware?

:)

Keith Studley, Dec 26, 2019
  2. bagiocop Win User

How do I get wifi to connect automatically and stay connected?

Wifi is suppose to connect automatically and stay connected but doesn't. Various error messages and I have tried every fix that I am technically competent to try and understand. For example, "DNS probe finished no internet". "ERR network change". "Problem #007". In lower right corner of screen wifi icon shows wifi not connected but when you click on it wifi is connected. So, I disconnect and re-connect and wifi works sometimes. While the computer indicates there is no wifi my phone is connected to the same network. My laptop is connected to the same wifi network. And I didn't have this problem until I "up graded" to Windows 10. So, what is the fix? Why does the computer connect to wifi and then for no apparent reason disconnect? Why doesn't the computer automatically connect to wifi as programmed? If something was broken yesterday then why isn't it broken today? I'm not very techie which may be apparent from my post. Very frustrating but thanks for the help.

bagiocop, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Machtyn Win User
    Windows 10 not automatically connecting (I've read other solutions)

Okay, I'm having an interesting issue. A desktop that was upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit using the normal upgrade path. I forgot to uninstall my internet security software (Comodo) so I had to fight the "no wifi after upgrade" issue. I got that resolved by following the steps others have found.

However, now my wifi is not saving the password nor is it remembering the "Connect Automatically" settings. That is, I uncheck the box for all other available connections, (even the one I want to automatically connect to eventually), but after reboot, the box is checked again.

Solutions I've tried.
    1. Uninstall the wifi adapter in Device Manager. Unplug device. Reboot to Windows 10 desktop. Plug adapter back into the USB slot. Setup wifi connection with automatically connect checked. Reboot and no automatic connection.
    2. In Manage WiFi Settings, remove any "known networks" from the list. The Forget button is not available in the popup list from the tasktray. Reboot. Reset. Reboot and no automatic connection.

Are there any other tricks I may try that I've missed in my search?

Machtyn, Dec 26, 2019
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked

How do I get wifi to connect automatically and stay connected?

Your ISP lease is showing only good for two hours, should be good for complete day... I would go in the adapter properties, change the DNS servers to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 That is found under the IPV4 properties.
    Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked [​IMG]

dmholt57, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked

1. Wifi refuses to stay connected unless connect automatically is checked - Similar Threads - Wifi refuses stay

2. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.: I have a Windows 22H2 10 Pro PC latest update and after an update, the Bluetooth dongle stopped to remain connected.This happens with all BT devices that I try to connect.If I select BT-On from the tray, I see instantly, for half a second, my BT device to connect and...
  3. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.: I have a Windows 22H2 10 Pro PC latest update and after an update, the Bluetooth dongle stopped to remain connected.This happens with all BT devices that I try to connect.If I select BT-On from the tray, I see instantly, for half a second, my BT device to connect and...
  4. Bluetooth refuses to connect or stay connected.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. refuses to connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    refuses to connect to wifi: I just downgraded to windows 10 and now everytime i connect to my wifi it just says no internet, secured. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refuses-to-connect-to-wifi/ad34dbca-b7ec-4f80-a6e1-7e4cebcdc95f
  6. refuses to connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    refuses to connect to wifi: I just downgraded to windows 10 and now everytime i connect to my wifi it just says no internet, secured. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refuses-to-connect-to-wifi/ad34dbca-b7ec-4f80-a6e1-7e4cebcdc95f
  7. refuses to connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. wifi will not stay connected

wifi will not stay connected: i am beyond over this i did have an ethernet connection but have moved and that is not an optionstart off connected it may last 2 min may last 10 then drops and reconnects sometimes this is any wifi network including mobile hotspots.. i have updated drivers, restore factory...
  9. WiFi Will not Stay Connected

WiFi Will not Stay Connected: I have a Asus Q200E and i have windows 10 on the computer. When using my Mac, it never has problems staying connected to the wifi so I know that is not the issue. I need help with this issue. Thanks...
  10. WiFi Refuses to connect

in Windows 10 Customization
    WiFi Refuses to connect: I have an HP Pavilion laptoo I keep trying to connect to my colleges WiFi network and have been doing so for a month now. Only today has it refused to connect to the network with the WiFi icon in the popup window blinking. I've tried updating the driver, I've tried...