Windows 10: wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

Discus and support wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why was this thread locked. I have exactly the same issue. I have an HP envy 14 with a Broadcom BCM43 802.11 bgn adapter. I have applied If I reboot it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FB46, Oct 7, 2018.

1. FB46 Win User

wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

Why was this thread locked. I have exactly the same issue. I have an HP envy 14 with a Broadcom BCM43 802.11 bgn adapter. I have applied If I reboot it goes back to the 40 or so all of the fixes suggested by the MS responder in the previous thread and the problem is not resolved. I put an iPhone and a samsung tablet next to the PC and they pull 50-75 Mbps while Win 10 is pulling 5-6 when 2 hours ago it was 40. This is not an network provider issue. If I restart it goes back to 40 Mbps or so. This appears to be either a driver issue (latest one from HP and on the MS driver chart) or Windows is getting bogged down somewhere as time/activity elapses.

:)

FB46, Oct 7, 2018

2. wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

I have done a soft boot and replaced hard drive with an SSD. I have a great upload speed (approx. 118 ) immediately after I restart my laptop. I am sure that something in the win 10 system gets choked up as the upload speed will consistently drop to 35-40
    Mbps speeds within several hours of the restart. Computer works fine during all of this. No other symptoms. Replacing hard drive with SSD solved the "high disk usage" problem that crippled the computer for 5-8 minutes after every reboot. I don't mind restarting
    the computer now to get the proper upload speeds, but I still am curious about the source of the speed degradation on this single computer. thanks.

AllenMertig, Oct 7, 2018
  3. wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

I am more confused now. I have 100/100 Mbps fios. the laptop achieves a speed of 101/118 when it is restarted. that to me means my settings are proper. Within 24 hours the upload speed drops to near 35-40 Mbps. At that point a simple restart of the laptop
    brings the speed back to 100/118 Mbps range. That to me suggests that some processes within the computer are limiting the upload speed. all other computers are working at the specified FIOS speeds. I have tried using Ethernet as well as wifi.

AllenMertig, Oct 7, 2018
  4. wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

Thank you for the response. Actually, I have updated most drivers, that I think are relevant. I am thinking this is an issue with win 10, and apps. since a computer restart clears up the problem every time. as I mentioned, I tried Ethernet connection also
    and had the same slow speed on upload . I am unable to see any differences in task manager between the times when the upload speed is normal and when it is degraded. Memory usage about 27-30 percent. On FIOS 100/100 service. Using a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.
    Using speakeasy or OOKLA app for testing.

AllenMertig, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop - Similar Threads - wifi speed degradation

2. Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop?: Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-degrade-win-11-to-win-10-in-my-hp-laptop/0c138d57-4803-4dcc-b784-988497b8c05d
  3. Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop?: Can I degrade win 11 to win 10 in my hp laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-degrade-win-11-to-win-10-in-my-hp-laptop/0c138d57-4803-4dcc-b784-988497b8c05d
  4. Question about flash drive speed degradation.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about flash drive speed degradation.: On my system, flash drives slow down with age. The worst example is a two or three month old 3.0 drive, which I've been using for the virtual drives of VMs, sometimes writes at less than 1MB/s. Is this kind of thing normal, and would switching to an SSD solve it? 172499
  5. WiFi speed degraded but ethernet is good

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi speed degraded but ethernet is good: I have 1Gb internet and multiple devices. Every device is getting nearly 500Mbps on Wifi while Dell Precision 7530 stopped seeing this speed and now tests only 20-60Mbps Hard wired on ethernet it tests at 800Mbps. Other devices such as HP and MSF laptops, and phones still...
  6. Fan running constantly and degraded speed again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fan running constantly and degraded speed again: 1 year old HP Envy with Windows 10 already installed. Constant issue reported previously. Fan suddenly starts running and stays running for weeks at a time. During these events, performance is significantly impacted including delays in key strokes, significantly slower...
  7. Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation: One of the PCs on my home network is a Windows 10 Home on an HP laptop Intel Core i5 with 8GB of memory. I have an internet connection of 1Gbps up and down. I have noticed, when using Ookla Speedtest on the PC native app, not browser, that the Internet speed is GROSSLY less...
  8. Wifi speed on Lenovo laptop

Wifi speed on Lenovo laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop with a Broadcom wifi adapter, the upload and download speed has fallen through the floor along with network drops outs. The laptop is running Windows 10 1909, the laptop is currently running Microsoft wifi adapter drivers, I have downloaded drivers...
  9. Speed degraded after reseting.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed degraded after reseting.: Due to multiple issues(not related to the speed of the system at all), i reset the windows ten by removing the apps but keeping my files/documents. But now after reseting windows 10, my system has slowed down like hell. Previously before reseting the speed was amazingly fast....
  10. WiFi speed degraded, Ethernet fine

WiFi speed degraded, Ethernet fine: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running a dual boot with Ubuntu. I have line-of-sight internet that runs at speeds of ~15 MB/s. Just before Christmas I noticed that the internet speed on my laptop dropped from ~15 MB/s to ~4 MB/s. If I use an ethernet cable off the modem...