Windows 10: WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is...

Discus and support WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All I went to network connections and clicked on the interface I use to get to the WIFI status for the device. Everything seems to be well,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BenjaminKaffel, Sep 4, 2020.

1. WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is...

Hello All

I went to network connections and clicked on the interface I use to get to the WIFI status for the device. Everything seems to be well, signal quality is subpar however my internet speed is 21.7 Mbps. Yet when I perform a speed test on my device, my download speed reaches a maximum speed of 0.4 Mbps, and then stops the speedtest and says that I cant connect to the speed test server. I dont think this is a problem with my router although it is god awful as I get approximately 25 Mbps download on my phone. Why does the WIFI status claim that I am getting speeds of 21.7 Mbps, yet my actual internet speed in task manager is under 900 KB/s?

I feel like I should add this, I understand that there is a difference between MBps and Mbps, however all units of measurement apart from KB/s are all Mbps Megabits, so the reason why the speeds are different isnt because they have been converted.

I should also mention that my PC is custom built, and I have a cheap WIFI usb card.

Thanks for your time

:)

BenjaminKaffel, Sep 4, 2020

2. Internet speeds

When I go to settings and click on wifi status it shows the internet speed of 144, but when I do a speed test it shows 30, which is the correct one?

Ad3pt AssAss1n, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Asus N580VD slow internet speed

Hi Blair,

There are several factors that affect your internet speed. A few would be connection speed, network traffic, hardware capability, and type of connection. To help us identify what might be causing the slow internet speed on your laptop, allow me to ask the
    following information:

• How's your laptop connected to the network? Is it directly wired to the modem/router or wirelessly connected?
    • Were your other computers that were getting 100 Mbps download speed connected to the same network?
    • Were there other devices connected to the network while you tried to download?
    • Have you tried connecting your laptop to a different network? Did you get the same internet speed?

In the meantime, please run a speed test on your laptop. If the internet speed is slower that your internet package, then you may try to update the drivers of your network adapters to ensure that it's up-to-date. Please check out and follow the steps provided
    on this link: Update drivers in Windows 10.

If you're trying to download while your laptop is wirelessly connected to your network, then kindly check its wireless adapter speed by checking its Wireless Network Connection Status. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click the wireless icon on your system tray, click Open Network & Internet settings, then click
      Wi-Fi.
    2. On the right pane, click Change adapter options.
    3. Right-click your Wireless Network Connection and click
      Status

Please take a screenshot of the status page and kindly include it on your reply.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 4, 2020
  4. WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is...

Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Microsoft.

Wireless Environment Details

Previously, I am using Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 in my Dell laptop with overall environment details as below,

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter, using 5Ghz band at 433Mbps.
    • Using Asus RT-AC68U, performing 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz).
    • Subscribing fiber optic 300Mbps ISP speed.
    Problem Statements

I am facing internet speed throttled over Wifi but not wired LAN connection. The speed throttled below than 100Mbps during downloading. The Wifi weirdly throttled the internet speed only but not local network file transfer over wireless.

Test Methods and Problem Analysis.

• The laptop and router range within 2 meters away.
    • No multiple devices connected to the router during the test.
    • DNS set in router is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8
    • My laptop using default Windows 10 Firewall and set network to "Private".
    • No VPN were used nor installed.
    • All hardwares installed with latest drivers from Dell website.
    • All networking speed monitored using Resource Monitor.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over Wifi. Speed slowed down less than 100Mbps.
    • I have a desktop PC too, using Windows 10 and LAN cable connection to router.
    • Transferring files from desktop PC to Asus router and finally wireless to my laptop.
      FULL SPEED around 400Mbps.
    • This is so odd. Wireless file transfer over local network can be full speed but internet over wireless slowed. Obviously not Wifi adapter problem.
    • I decided to further test the router hardware.
    • Download files from internet into desktop PC over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet over smartphone and tablet (both Android and iOS) wireless.
      FULL SPEED at 300Mbps. Obviously not router problem too.
    • So I narrowed down the problem only can be Windows 10. Can you help me identify the problems?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is...

1. WIFI status says i have a good internet speed, yet a speed test says my internet is... - Similar Threads - WIFI status says

2. Slow internet on search on all browsers but has really good speed on speed tests

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow internet on search on all browsers but has really good speed on speed tests: Hello, why is my browsers slow when i search or open an image from any browser? my pc can go over 400mbps when i speed test but its slow when i search stuffs and open images. this started when i was on windows 10 and after some updates my pc started to become like this. i...
  3. Slow internet on search on all browsers but has really good speed on speed tests

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet on search on all browsers but has really good speed on speed tests: Hello, why is my browsers slow when i search or open an image from any browser? my pc can go over 400mbps when i speed test but its slow when i search stuffs and open images. this started when i was on windows 10 and after some updates my pc started to become like this. i...
  4. Good internet speed but slow download.

Good internet speed but slow download.: Hi,My internet works just fine and my download speed is 530 mbps ~ 66 MB/s, but when I try to download any app/game the net used is so low and hardly gets to 10 MB/s. I already know the disk is not the problem becouse its usage its corresponding with what it should be the...
  5. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.: I have recently started experiencing really slow download speeds on every screen when I am using Microsoft Edge,Trying "windows repair" instructions there was a software download called Restoro, that told me I had lots of errors on everything, especially Miscrosoft Edge. But...
  6. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.: I have recently started experiencing really slow download speeds on every screen when I am using Microsoft Edge,Trying "windows repair" instructions there was a software download called Restoro, that told me I had lots of errors on everything, especially Miscrosoft Edge. But...
  7. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Not getting good internet speeds

Not getting good internet speeds: I have a network adapter that should allow me to get up to 433mbps but I am only getting around 100mbps. My network is a 1Gb network and other devices are getting good speeds 200mbps-800mbps. I am on a 5g network....
  9. Internet speed tests says i have upwards of 25mbps download and 4.5+ upload, yet all my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet speed tests says i have upwards of 25mbps download and 4.5+ upload, yet all my...: My internet is clearly capable of higher download speeds but whenever i download something, it seems capped to around 2mbps? Anyway to fix this? submitted by /u/SK-XVII [link] [comments]...
  10. WiFi Network speed and internet speed question

WiFi Network speed and internet speed question: Okay I don't understand this I have a 1gb network modem/router thru CenturyLink and what I don't understand is on all my local networking I get the 1gig speed. On my wired machines when I access the internet I actually get 900mb download/upload speeds, but when I use my...