Windows 10: Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice

Discus and support Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice Lenovo L340, still in warranty. WIN10-64. Latest update: 20H2 OS build 19042.867, KB5000802.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ezwin10, Mar 31, 2021.

1. ezwin10 Win User

Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice

Lenovo L340, still in warranty. WIN10-64. Latest update: 20H2 OS build 19042.867, KB5000802.

Day before Wifi worked. Nothing new installed.
    Network status: Ethernet, BlueTooth. _ Wifi gone fishing, blank.
    Airplane Mode off. Ethernet not connected.

Built-in MS troubleshooter can not find reason of problem.
    Dev.Mgr. Hidden: Qualcomm 3 entries greyed out.
    Built-in MS troubleshooter recommends connecting Ethernet. Done.
    MS troubleshooter is happy, claims Solved, disconnected cable was reason. (for missing WiFi - MS logic has its own ways.)
    Result is WiFi no longer appears anywhere (hardware and connection properties showed it before Ethernet connected), WiFi seems not to exist. MS bad advice.

Dev.Mgr: Uninstalled Qualcomm (WiFi) 3 entries.
    I selected NOT to delete files (delete can still be done, usually).

Behavior now, Ethernet connected: Browser Edge reacts like Firefox:
    URL entered in address field opens page. URL from a web page or tool are dealt with: Can not find server. Homepage can not find server.
    Suspect some shown pages are just cache source. Hence Ethernet not working mostly, but see Lenovo below.
    Qualcomm offers driver to registered maintenance companies only.
    Control panel: Search WiFi - not found.

Lenovo
    Vantage operates through internet (Ethernet).
    It can not update because update catalog not found. (why?)
    V. reports a bunch of issues and wants money for correcting these issues while unit is in warranty. Most issues are trivial. There is no choice for correction, all or nothing. This kills cookies, adding more work for me.
    Used DISM.exe check (successful, repairable) & restore health. Win10 installation USB plugged-in. D:\. DISM can not find files, obviously it can not use internet. LinkID 243077 recommended by DISM failed.
    Several reboots did not correct the situation.
    I am not keen on reinstalling Win10 as it kills all applications. Case is complex - may I get help, please?
    After 2 days: Ethernet works again, have no clue why. Wifi shows up in troubleshooter. Nothing else new.

:)

ezwin10, Mar 31, 2021

2. WiFi settings vanished and Microsoft apps aren't working.

Hello there!
    The problem I have was around for some time but now it's really starting to bug me.
    So basically, the WiFi settings from my laptop have completely vanished and now it's replaced with 'Networks' in the notification center however, it doesn't detect anything and the switch of turning the WiFi icon on or off on the taskbar is greyed out from the settings. I've managed to find a way to access the WiFi menu again and it was either from the lock screen or that menu that opens when you press ctrl + alt + del. After connecting to my WiFi I decided to open the Microsoft Store but it said that I wasn't connected to the internet even though I was. I tried opening Microsoft apps and diferrent apps I had downloaded but all of them stated that I wasn't connected to the internet, even windows updates did the same thing. I did some digging around in the device manager list and I let it show my hidden devices then I found out that my WiFi software device was hidden. I checked it's status and it says "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
    To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."
    My WAN miniports have the same error too
    and before suggesting to try troubleshooting it, I've tried it and it didn't work at all.
    If someone could help me with this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in Advance!

xXDammieXx, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Vanished photos & Greyed out App

My 640 Microsoft Lumia phone used to show photos on my Live People tile on the front of my phone. However, these seem to have vanished and also no longer are in my contacts list - where previously I had photos, I now just have blank squares.

Also my Twitter app has crashed for about the 6th time - it has greyed out on my screen and will not start. I would rather not keep uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but is this the only way of dealing with this?

Mairghread, Mar 31, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

WiFi settings vanished and Microsoft apps aren't working.

Welcome to TenForums @xXDammieXx

In addition to @Try3's advice, open Device Manager and see if the WiFi card is listed there under Network adapters. If it is listed, does it have a yellow warning triangle? If so, the updated driver should help.

If it is not listed, select View > Show hidden devices. It should be listed then. Check its Properties. Does it say "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"? If so, the WiFi card has not been detected. It may be faulty or it may just need reseating.

I once had a laptop with an intermittently 'missing' WiFi card that was cured by reseating it. For advice on that we'd need to know the make and model of your laptop. Please fill in your system specs here: https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra

Thema:

1. Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice - Similar Threads - Wifi stopped Qalcomm

2. Wifi Vanishes suddenly - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Vanishes suddenly - Windows 11: "My wifi keep vanishing in windows 11 and i have tried all possible solutions found on net. Wifi is okay since other devices are working well.. Wifi option just suddenly disappears"...
  3. Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice: Wifi stopped, Qalcomm grey then vanished, MS-bad advice Lenovo L340, still in warranty. WIN10-64. Latest update: 20H2 OS build 19042.867, KB5000802. [URL="https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-gaming-laptops/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161"] Day before...
  4. WiFi adapter driver vanished

WiFi adapter driver vanished: Lenovo Yoga 900, Windows 10. Lost wifi suddenly and the cable guy told me my laptop is missing the wifi adapter driver! All of a sudden. Cannot understand why this happened. Please advise 1 what to do 2 how to do any reinstallation/updating/downloads you may advise,...
  5. Skype - conflicting advice from MS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype - conflicting advice from MS: Skype for a W10 Desktop PC. There are 2 versions of Skype for a W10 desktop PC. The classic Skype for Desktop (currently ver 8.29.0.50) and Skype for Windows 10 (currently ver 12.1815.210.0). Microsoft appears to have conflicting views on which is the correct option as both...
  6. Skype - conflicting advice from MS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Skype - conflicting advice from MS: Skype for a W10 Desktop PC. There are 2 versions of Skype for a W10 desktop PC. The classic Skype for Desktop (currently ver 8.29.0.50) and Skype for Windows 10 (currently ver 12.1815.210.0). Microsoft appears to have conflicting views on which is the correct option as both...
  7. wifi driver vanished

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi driver vanished: hello. Its just strange that my laptop(Inspiron N4050 ) just swallowed up the wifi network driver all of a sudden.I tried to download the drivers from dell website.Strangely,website recognised my laptop but did not show up any wifi drivers to download.When I tried to seach...
  8. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Seeking advice, bad performance after updating: A couple of days ago my system did an automatic update (which I have hopefully found a work around to prevent). Ever since it rebooted from the update there has been a noticeable drop in performance. When I boot up it takes longer for the login screen to come in, after...
  9. WiFi vanished

WiFi vanished: What happened to my WiFi? I am running Windows 10 15063.632 I have tried to update to 16299.15 twice with two different WiFi cards in my desktop and upon update WiFi is missing. Device shows in Device Manager with a triangle but no adapter in adapters folder and when I click...
  10. Few probelms after following bad advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Few probelms after following bad advice: I needed more space in C: and found about 50GB in C:\windows\Users'Win7. My system was upgraded from Win 7 and I wondered if this folder was something ex-Win7 I didn't need anymore. I went onto MS Support chat and they said Yes. But it removed most of the files on my Desktop....