Windows 10: WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

Discus and support WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 Windows 10 machines, including one laptop/tablet. I can get Internet download speeds of 63 mbps and upload speeds of 11 mbps on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bpcan, Aug 13, 2018.

1. bpcan Win User

WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

I have 3 Windows 10 machines, including one laptop/tablet. I can get Internet download speeds of 63 mbps and upload speeds of 11 mbps on my laptop using a 802.11N connection with a DLink DIR-842 router. The router's specs are AC1200 Speeds (up to 300Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps on 5GHz) with Gigabit ports.
    When I copy files between my Windows 10 machines (laptop and desktop) I average speeds of 33 mbps. Is this what I should expect? I think this is very slow.
    I have the desktop machines connected with Gigabit adapters and desktop to desktop file operations are quite acceptable. The machines are configured in a workgroup.
    Is there anything I can do to speed up WiFi performance?

:)

bpcan, Aug 13, 2018

2. fast internet speed, slow buffering

the speed is considered fast here. previously i can buffer youtube video in 360p with ease, no need to pause for buffering. after several windows update, internet become really slow.

ikassela89, Aug 13, 2018
  3. Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Stephanie Sal

Thank you for the reply promptly. I believe I should apologize that I missed out a few more details to make the troubleshooting easier. Before I further explain, I did thoroughly read and done the troubleshooting steps that you provided but the problem still
    persist. Here is the details,

• I did the internet test speed (www.speedtest.net) using Edge internet browser, is does gave me full speed. Like picture below.

• WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast 51514007-597c-4b86-bcf4-872497d75c2d.jpg
    • Even I installed the Ookla Speed Test app from Store, it show the internet still giving full speed.

• WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast d79c107c-65f1-4574-8677-7b3af5e8c0aa.jpg
    • When I download games from Origin, Steam, Battle.net and Uplay. They simply did not download at full speed over Wifi. Example below is the screenshot of Steam download over Wifi, maximum speed around 60Mbps to 70Mbps.

• WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast [​IMG]
    • Now, the screenshot below is the Steam download over LAN cable. The speed is fairly fast. The speed did not reach at 30MB/s because the bottle neck from HDD but it will reach >30MB/s at my desktop PC (SSD).

• WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast [​IMG]
    • I don't think Wifi interference, Firewall, or Anti-virus are the blame here because the speed test can reach full speed but game download is slowed.
    • Is Windows 10 handling network management by deprioritize certain applications?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Aug 13, 2018
  4. WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Microsoft.

Wireless Environment Details

Previously, I am using Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 in my Dell laptop with overall environment details as below,

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter, using 5Ghz band at 433Mbps.
    • Using Asus RT-AC68U, performing 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz).
    • Subscribing fiber optic 300Mbps ISP speed.
    Problem Statements

I am facing internet speed throttled over Wifi but not wired LAN connection. The speed throttled below than 100Mbps during downloading. The Wifi weirdly throttled the internet speed only but not local network file transfer over wireless.

Test Methods and Problem Analysis.

• The laptop and router range within 2 meters away.
    • No multiple devices connected to the router during the test.
    • DNS set in router is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8
    • My laptop using default Windows 10 Firewall and set network to "Private".
    • No VPN were used nor installed.
    • All hardwares installed with latest drivers from Dell website.
    • All networking speed monitored using Resource Monitor.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over Wifi. Speed slowed down less than 100Mbps.
    • I have a desktop PC too, using Windows 10 and LAN cable connection to router.
    • Transferring files from desktop PC to Asus router and finally wireless to my laptop.
      FULL SPEED around 400Mbps.
    • This is so odd. Wireless file transfer over local network can be full speed but internet over wireless slowed. Obviously not Wifi adapter problem.
    • I decided to further test the router hardware.
    • Download files from internet into desktop PC over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet over smartphone and tablet (both Android and iOS) wireless.
      FULL SPEED at 300Mbps. Obviously not router problem too.
    • So I narrowed down the problem only can be Windows 10. Can you help me identify the problems?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast

1. WiFi very slow while Internet speed is fast - Similar Threads - WiFi very slow

2. Fast internet speed but slow downlaod speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast internet speed but slow downlaod speed: I have a laptop connected to internet via ethernet which is able to reach approx 100-150 Mbps depending on climate which is correct for my subscription. But on apps like say chrome, opera or epic games top speeds for downloading is about 10-15 Mbps which is barely just 10% of...
  3. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  4. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  5. Fast Internet Speeds but downloads and whole applications very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet Speeds but downloads and whole applications very slow.: Hello, I have started to notice that my Internet was very slow suddenly 3 weeks ago. I since then started to do anything what was also said in other threads etc. e.g this one...
  6. Fast Internet Speeds but downloads and whole applications very slow.

Fast Internet Speeds but downloads and whole applications very slow.: Hello, I have started to notice that my Internet was very slow suddenly 3 weeks ago. I since then started to do anything what was also said in other threads etc. e.g this one...
  7. My internet speed is "fast" but my download speed is very slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My internet speed is "fast" but my download speed is very slow.: My internet speed is around 130 mbps, however, I only manage to get about 100-200 kilobytes per second of download speed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-internet-speed-is-fast-but-my-download-speed-is/bd6deb53-a783-4aa7-bf9b-ca1e0ec58e23
  8. My internet speed is "fast" but my download speed is very slow.

My internet speed is "fast" but my download speed is very slow.: My internet speed is around 130 mbps, however, I only manage to get about 100-200 kilobytes per second of download speed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-internet-speed-is-fast-but-my-download-speed-is/bd6deb53-a783-4aa7-bf9b-ca1e0ec58e23
  9. Very slow wifi speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very slow wifi speed: All of a sudden this week, my pcs wifi speeds have gone incredibly low and i can no longer run any online game without massive lag spikes. Although, when i do a wifi speed test online, this seems fine and on any other device in my house the wifi is perfect.Ive searched so...
  10. Very Slow Download Speed but Fast Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very Slow Download Speed but Fast Internet: Hello, yesterday I posted a question which was fixed but only lasted a couple minutes, then the problem came back. My download speed is stuck on 2MB/s but I used to get around 20MB/s, and my internet speed is around 160mbps. According to the reply from the previous question I...