Windows 10: Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

Discus and support Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenTrostad, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated my network adapter. Restarted my PC . The problem seems to lie some between my PC and my home network as my PC will connect to a public WIFI. I am at a loss at this point.

:)

StevenTrostad, Mar 4, 2022
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Mar 4, 2022
  3. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Mar 4, 2022
  4. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Mar 4, 2022
Thema:

Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

1. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network. - Similar Threads - Wifi connect local

2. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  3. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  4. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  5. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  6. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  7. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  8. Local wifi network

Local wifi network: I have two devices both win10 latest update. Infile explorer i can see both devices in network. Device A can access files on device B. Device B can see both devices in network but cannot access files on device A. Msge is This folder is empty. File sharing, printer sharing on...
  9. Connectivity problems on public wifi network

Connectivity problems on public wifi network: Hello, every time I attempt to connect to a specific Starbucks open wifi network it connects, but blocks all websites thereafter, including trusted sites like google, facebook etc. The error says there is an untrusted certificate for the site and won't allow it to go any...
  10. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...