Windows 10: Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Discus and support Wildcard Selection in Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both.

Alternatively, does anyone recommend a good shell extension coder that can help? I found code for a context menu wild card selection feature for explorer that would be useful from this website

Windows Explorer wildcard selection shell extension - CodeProject

that needs to be updated. Also, I found code snippits for wildcard selection from Explorer++ and this website

Explorer++ - A small and fast file manager for Windows

which is open source. I know nothing about programming and coding and thought there would be some good programmers out that that know shell extensions that can help.

Thanks!

:)

bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019

2. Using Wildcard to search in windows Explorer

Hi Jerry,

To isolate your concern regarding Wildcard search on
    Windows File Explorer
    , we suggest that you run an SFC
    (System File Checker) tool
    to check for system file corruptions and fix it. Once done, restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

In addition, you can manage the search options to give you the most thorough search by following these steps:

• Click File tab on Windows File Explorer, click
      Change folder and search options.

• Click Search tab and select Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files (search might take longer).
    • You can also select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes).

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Joseph Ban, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

Good afternoon all.

Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct?

Windows Explorer wildcard selection shell extension - CodeProject

This code is obviously rather old and I am wondering if anyone has written a bat/vbs/reg file to incorporate wild card selection to the right click context menu or know of an easy way to modify the existing code. FYI, I am not a coder, just an end user and defer to the expertise of regulars in this forum.

Thanks!

bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Callender Win User

Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

Thanks for explaining. I can't help with the code. Personally I would use FileSeek for wildcard searches via context menu. Then I would use NexusFile for wildcard filters and file operations but there is no option to add to Explorer context menu. So you'd need to navigate to a folder.

Simple, easy and well designed applications by xiles

Wildcard Selection in Explorer [​IMG]

Wildcard Selection in Explorer [​IMG]

Callender, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Wildcard Selection in Explorer

1. Wildcard Selection in Explorer - Similar Threads - Wildcard Selection Explorer

2. Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected: Can I reinstall 'File Explorer'? I have tried every repair option on this forum. When File Explorer is selected my computer restarts. This is the only problem that I have with Windows 10. I would like to reinstall File Explorer to see if that will fix it. I am having to save...
  3. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  4. Selecting a file crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Selecting a file crashes File Explorer: I have a presentation to do tomorrow. Because I haven't paid for any Microsoft subscriptions, I've made my presentation using Google Slides. However, as a backup, I'm trying to save the file as a .pptx to have on a flashdrive should I not have access to the internet. Thing...
  5. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection: Good afternoon all. Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct? Windows Explorer...
  6. Wildcards in Robocopy | Batch file very very basics

in Windows 10 Support
    Wildcards in Robocopy | Batch file very very basics: I have folders that contain files and subfolders. The files have a limited set of extensions. What I seek to do is to robocopy /mir the files separately from the subfolders. I have been trying to review wildcard basics. I am not finding any ways to combine them that suits...
  7. Explorer window not active for file selection

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer window not active for file selection: Hi. I have a videos folder. I am checking and deleting unwanted videos by opening each for few seconds and deleting ones I don't like. Problem is that when I close the player and want to delete the video, the explorer window is no more active. So I have to click on the...
  8. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...
  9. matching wildcards in dir

in Windows 10 Support
    matching wildcards in dir: In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt If I do a dir test0* I expect to get all files which match test0* like test00 and test0000 but I also get test 01.txt and I'm not sure why. I mean "test 01.txt"...
  10. The length of the selection line in the Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    The length of the selection line in the Windows Explorer: Sorry for my English. If you can, please tell me the solution. In Windows Explorer, the selection line (list view) depends on the length of the file or folder. In Windows 10, the selection line does not depend on the length of the file or folder, it is always the same. Can I...