Windows 10: Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Discus and support Wildcard Selection in Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both.

Alternatively, does anyone recommend a good shell extension coder that can help? I found code for a context menu wild card selection feature for explorer that would be useful from this website

Windows Explorer wildcard selection shell extension - CodeProject

that needs to be updated. Also, I found code snippits for wildcard selection from Explorer++ and this website

Explorer++ - A small and fast file manager for Windows

which is open source. I know nothing about programming and coding and thought there would be some good programmers out that that know shell extensions that can help.

Thanks!

:)

bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019

2. Using Wildcard to search in windows Explorer

Hi Jerry,

To isolate your concern regarding Wildcard search on
    Windows File Explorer
    , we suggest that you run an SFC
    (System File Checker) tool
    to check for system file corruptions and fix it. Once done, restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

In addition, you can manage the search options to give you the most thorough search by following these steps:

• Click File tab on Windows File Explorer, click
      Change folder and search options.

• Click Search tab and select Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files (search might take longer).
    • You can also select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes).

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Joseph Ban, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

Good afternoon all.

Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct?

Windows Explorer wildcard selection shell extension - CodeProject

This code is obviously rather old and I am wondering if anyone has written a bat/vbs/reg file to incorporate wild card selection to the right click context menu or know of an easy way to modify the existing code. FYI, I am not a coder, just an end user and defer to the expertise of regulars in this forum.

Thanks!

bamajon1974, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Callender Win User

Wildcard Selection in Explorer

Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

Thanks for explaining. I can't help with the code. Personally I would use FileSeek for wildcard searches via context menu. Then I would use NexusFile for wildcard filters and file operations but there is no option to add to Explorer context menu. So you'd need to navigate to a folder.

Simple, easy and well designed applications by xiles

Wildcard Selection in Explorer [​IMG]

Wildcard Selection in Explorer [​IMG]

Callender, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Wildcard Selection in Explorer

1. Wildcard Selection in Explorer - Similar Threads - Wildcard Selection Explorer

2. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  3. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  4. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?: I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the right combination of wildcards and other settings in Word 2013. Either nothing gets replaced, or I thousands of replacements...
  6. file explorer doesn't work with wildcards * ? like in the old days

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer doesn't work with wildcards * ? like in the old days: Why doesn't the file search engine work like in the old days of searching ? If I search for files or folders with the exact name _V the windows search takes minutes and findes al lost of items which are not If i open a msdos box and i type dir _V /s it gives me the...
  7. Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?: This is weird, I'm trying to find all the *.mov files in my dropbox folder on my C: drive. I seem to be able to find *.JPG (when I use *.jpg lower case), or at least some of them, but *.mov and *.pdf etc doesn't work. The search returns nothing. But I can see them, they are...
  8. Wildcard for website blocking?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wildcard for website blocking?: I am trying to block a gaming website using the Microsoft Family Safety "Web Browsing" feature, but it doesn't seem to be accepting a wildcard so that I can block all subdomains of the website, of which there are many. If I enter a specific subdomain it works fine, but...
  9. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  10. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection: Good afternoon all. Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct? Windows Explorer...