Windows 10: Will a 300 W video card work with a 270 W PSU ?

Discus and support Will a 300 W video card work with a 270 W PSU ? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey, I was looking up some video cards today, and I stumbled upon the ASUS GeForce GT 710. It's a nice card, for the price, but my PSU is only 270 W... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BicycleRow, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Will a 300 W video card work with a 270 W PSU ?

Hey,

I was looking up some video cards today, and I stumbled upon the ASUS GeForce GT 710. It's a nice card, for the price, but my PSU is only 270 W and here it says that the card requires at least 300 W:
    GeForce GT 710 | Specifications | GeForce

And my motherboard is an ATX, I think (Don't know if that matters). Here it is: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-7525 (Boston) | HP® Customer Support
    Also, it's a normal card, and my system requires a low-profile one. Can it somehow fit in and run without any issues?

:)

BicycleRow, Oct 30, 2016

2. windows 10 and not enough video memory

Ok so heres an update.. i have tiger woods 2008 intalled on another computer and upgraded it to windows 10 - 64bit and tiger woods works on that computer its running a Saphire Radeon HD 4800 series card w/ 1 gig of memory . cant figure out why it wont
    work with current setup Saphire Radeon R9 270 2 gig onboard memory is this a video card driver problem of is it direct x problem ?

Terry_Lee2, Oct 30, 2016
  3. DimplesRW Win User
    windows 10 upgrade

on 8-15-15 Microsoft compatibility checker said I couldn't install W 10 due to a incompatible video card. I installed a new card and the compatibility still references the old video card. How can I rerun the compatibility checker so I can install W
    10?

DimplesRW, Oct 30, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Will a 300 W video card work with a 270 W PSU ?

Hi. Its not just the wattage that you have to be concerned with but the type of connector the graphics card you are interested in is using.

You also have to take into account the power requirements of the other components in your system and total them up. You can use the pcpartpicker to do this for you. Once you have added all your existing components it'l total up the wattage they use. It will also alert you to any incompatibilities.

As this article says, you *may* get away with a 300w PSU but that won't leave you for any future expansion.

Are you planning to game with this graphics card? I wouldn't expect decent framerates with it from most modern games.

As the article says:

swarfega, Oct 30, 2016
  5. You're safe. I'm running a system with a 250W power supply and overclocked my GPU and it's running just fine.

300W PSU is overkill for your system.

If you need to upgrade your GPU to a mid-end one then you should consider getting a bigger power supply (in terms of wattage).

RoasterMen, Oct 30, 2016
  6. I calculated the wattage on pcpartpicker and it said at least 250 W is recommended for my system with the GT 710. It may be a little bit more because I probably missed something.

As for the games, I'm not a huge gamer. I'll probably play some CS: GO, Hearthstone and LoL when I have time. And my monitor is only 1024x768, so I think it'll do the job for me. So, will it be able to run without any problems?

BicycleRow, Oct 30, 2016
  7. You are missing the efficiency and reliability though. PSU should be the double wattage of the current usage.
    PSU are relatively cheap and they last 10 years minimum. I would not buy anything less than branded 500W.
    Not to mention, that a cheap 250W PSU can die at 200W and a more expensive 250W can last up to 350W.

TairikuOkami, Oct 30, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I notice that the other posters missed an essential point: you write that your PC requires a low profile card. A full height card won't fit at all.

If you need a low-profile GT 710, they exist:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...02G-P3-2713-KR

The card doesn't need an auxiliary PCI-E power connection. The maximum power used by it is 25W. Your CPU (Intel E7400) has a TDP of 65W. I doubt that you'd need a 300W PSU with that combination.

A also see that the Pavilion was sold with a GT 220 card, which needs up to 58W. (I'm not sure that the PSU is the same, but I'd bet that it is.)

A suggestion: don't sink much money into an old Socket 775 system.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will a 300 W video card work with a 270 W PSU ? - Similar Threads - 300 video card

2. Shift+w not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift+w not working: Hi there, My shift+w key is not working. I have tried different keyboards in both wired and bluetooth connection but the issues persists. I am able to temporarily fix it by uninstalling the keyboard driver via device manager, and restarting the machine, however, it only takes...
  3. Shift+w not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift+w not working: Hi there, My shift+w key is not working. I have tried different keyboards in both wired and bluetooth connection but the issues persists. I am able to temporarily fix it by uninstalling the keyboard driver via device manager, and restarting the machine, however, it only takes...
  4. W key not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W key not working.: Literally just bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 2 in-person and brand-new from the store; I boot it up and when typing in the wifi password I notice that the W key nor Caps Lock seem to work at all. They're the only keys that won't. I don't want to return it so soon, but...
  5. W key not working.

W key not working.: Literally just bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 2 in-person and brand-new from the store; I boot it up and when typing in the wifi password I notice that the W key nor Caps Lock seem to work at all. They're the only keys that won't. I don't want to return it so soon, but...
  6. Shift+w not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift+w not working: So I rescued a kitten a couple weeks ago and last night he ran across my keyboard for the 1000th time but now my Shift+ w doesn't work. All other keys are working fine. I googled the issue and couldn't find my exact problem. Running windows 11 any ideas? Thanks....
  7. Shift+w not working

Shift+w not working: So I rescued a kitten a couple weeks ago and last night he ran across my keyboard for the 1000th time but now my Shift+ w doesn't work. All other keys are working fine. I googled the issue and couldn't find my exact problem. Running windows 11 any ideas? Thanks....
  8. Ctrl W not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  9. Ctrl W not working

Ctrl W not working: I recently updated my computer to Windows 11, and I was having an issue with the GameBar, where whenever I used the shortcut ctrl w, the GameBar popped up. I found a way to disable this by removing the GameBar, but now my ctrl w shortcut won't work. Any help would be much...
  10. SD card not working now in W.10 phone.

in Windows 10 Support
    SD card not working now in W.10 phone.: I have a Nokia 1520, Windows 10 phone, I inadvertently removed the sd card by mistake while the phone was still switched on. Now half of my apps have faded out. I formatted the card on my laptop, inserted it back in but it's not being recognised at all. it's only a 32GB card....