Windows 10: Will a complete Windows 10 restore help?

Discus and support Will a complete Windows 10 restore help? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Windows Surface Book and the feeling some malware might have infected my Surface. It has been quite some time since I got the laptop so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bhermlakosh, May 29, 2020.

1. Will a complete Windows 10 restore help?

I have a Windows Surface Book and the feeling some malware might have infected my Surface. It has been quite some time since I got the laptop so I thought it would be a good idea to completely clean up the Surface and start from scratch.

There are however a few questions which I hope you can help me elaborate.

All of my personal documents are stored through OneDrive. Now I am pretty sure that completely cleaning my Surface will leave all of my documents on the cloud intact, but I would like someone to confirm this for me.

Other is that I read about the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool. Does making a clean install through this tool add anything beneficial compared to the reset in the settings?

My ultimate goal is to completely clean my Surface from top to bottom, with all my documents stored on the cloud to remain intact, anything else that isn’t on my OneDrive can completely vanish as I can reinstall the needed software afterwards.

submitted by /u/bhermlakosh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bhermlakosh, May 29, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Will a complete Windows 10 restore help? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 29, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, May 29, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Will a complete Windows 10 restore help?

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Will a complete Windows 10 restore help? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Will a complete Windows 10 restore help?

1. Will a complete Windows 10 restore help? - Similar Threads - complete restore help

2. System restore is stuck on complete????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore is stuck on complete????: So this is odd, I did a system restore, had to do it in safe mode to get this far but after several hours is says “ please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored System Restore is Complete.”… ‘is complete’ makes it sound like ‘please wait’ isn’t not...
  3. Windows 10 system restore HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 system restore HELP: Was updating windows 10, and it froze at the circling dots. Tried everything. Now I'm doing a system restore, and the box showing the Restoring files with the green bar that keeps sliding has shown up. The green slider keeps moving tho, lile it's not frozen or anything. But...
  4. System Restore and SIR not completing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore and SIR not completing: At about install 9 with at least 3 including format. Some point after installing office SR fails with message of being unable to extract a file. SRI also fails. On more than one install I've tried doing the recovery boot to use SIR and it will not recognize my password. And...
  5. Windows 10 restore point, help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 restore point, help: Hello boys n girls n attack helicopters. I have a problem on my hand and that is that i want to restore my computer to a previous state. Here is my problem: I only want to restore ONE of my disks(I have two). I want to restor my C disk and not touch my D disk. Is this...
  6. Windows Restore Help

Windows Restore Help: I recently reinstalled windows 10 using a USB ISO, because I was having boot problems. After reinstallation I noticed all of my files, settings, everything was gone on my OS drive. I managed to recover all of my previous files through an external program, because there was no...
  7. Not able to restore complete backup in Windows 10.

Not able to restore complete backup in Windows 10.: Not able to restore complete backup in Windows 10. Tried online support help from Microsoft with remote computer control but only little could be restored. Already tried three times....
  8. can not complete system restore

can not complete system restore: error during directory restoration origin: AppxStaging destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps unspecified error: (0x80070005) I tried several different restore points getting the same error Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.228]...
  9. System restore will not complete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore will not complete: I screwed up and deleted my DNS cache. Now I'm trying to get it back. It's come down to using system restore which will not complete a restore because, it says, it is not finding a file that it needs. I had this problem once before and ended up just giving up on using system...
  10. System restore will not complete

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore will not complete: I screwed up and deleted my DNS cache. Now I'm trying to get it back. It's come down to using system restore which will not complete a restore because, it says, it is not finding a file that it needs. I had this problem once before and ended up just giving up on using system...