Windows 10: Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty?

Discus and support Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A couple months back I replaced the keyboard of my HP Pavilion notebook (as the previous one was having some key problems). I did an "unconventional"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cytherian, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty?

A couple months back I replaced the keyboard of my HP Pavilion notebook (as the previous one was having some key problems). I did an "unconventional" replacement, because prior to buying a replacement keyboard, I did not know that HP changed their notebook designs to make the keyboard no longer a separate replaceable item--you have to replace the whole top cover (keyboard + touchpad + bezel) as one unit, which is much more expensive. Since the individual keyboard was being offered by eBay sellers, I presumed this could be replaced normally. Much to my surprise when I dismantled the notebook, I found the keyboard was "hidden" underneath the motherboard and a metal bracket plastic riveted to the top panel (not meant to be replaced).

Anyway, I was successful at replacing the keyboard after popping all the plastic rivets, extracting the old keyboard, and installing the new one. The system powered up A-OK.

Fast forward to today, several months later... my HP Pavilion notebook shows signs of power (power light comes on, fan comes on) but I'm not getting any display. In a dark room I can tell that the display has some life to it, as it becomes slightly lit. But I never see the HP startup logo or any other display signs of booting up.

I tried booting up hitting the F2, F8, F9 and F10 keys on separate boot cycles and that did nothing. I did notice something else odd, though. The back light does not come on when pressing F5. Also, muted speakers is not showing the orange LED light. Therefore, I must conclude that the keyboard has failed somehow.

So, if the keyboard somehow becomes faulty, will the system refuse to boot up normally? If I plug in a USB keyboard (getting one soon), will this "bypass" a faulty in-board keyboard?

:)

cytherian, Aug 27, 2018

2. keyboard not working after upgrading notebook to Windows 10

Hi Anil,

Before we assist you, we would like to know the below information.

• Have you installed all the pending updates for Windows 10?

• Which is the Windows 10 build running on the Notebook?

Please some of the below troubleshooting steps and check if you are able to fix the keyboard issue:

Method 1: I suggest you to
    install ATK drivers
    , also install Windows 8.1 chipset drivers from the same link and check.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X102BA/HelpDesk_Download/

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type "Troubleshooting"
      in the Search box from the desktop and click "Troubleshooting".

• Click on "View all" from the left pane and select "Hardware and Devices".

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 3: Uninstall keyboard driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Keyboard.

• Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

After uninstalling the keyboard Drivers, suggest you to manually install the Keyboard Drivers.

• Right-click the
      Start button and choose Device Manager.

• Once in Device Manager locate all devices with a yellow exception mark in front of them. In case of not working keyboards they are most-likely located under Human Interface Devices (HID) and keyboards.

• Under keyboards right-click a keyboard with a yellow exception mark.

• Then choose Update Driver Software.

• Then choose Browse my computer for driver software.

• Then choose Let me Pick from a List of Device Drivers.

• Then choose HID Keyboard Device.

• Click on Next and wait for the installation to complete, there should be no error code!

• Unfold the Human Interface Devices category.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Dewdrop_ Win User
    Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty?

HP 15-r029wm Notebook PC windows 10 keyboard not working properly

Hi,

I realize that the keyboard is not working properly. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty?

1. Will a notebook start up normally if the keyboard is faulty? - Similar Threads - notebook start normally

2. After starting the computer, it reboots and starts up normally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After starting the computer, it reboots and starts up normally: PC Specs:ryzen 5 3600gt 1030 8 GB 3200 MHZ Hyperx Kingston 256 GB WD GREENShould I be worried that it restarts after startup and then starts normally? This came up not long ago and I was literally starting to worry about it...
  3. selective start up cant change to normal start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    selective start up cant change to normal start up: discovered this issue by chance trying to figure out why the start up was slowerin msconfig its starting in selective start up, when i click normal start up and reboot no warning or notice to do so as it should, goes back to selective start up each timealso the apply button...
  4. selective start up cant change to normal start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selective start up cant change to normal start up: discovered this issue by chance trying to figure out why the start up was slowerin msconfig its starting in selective start up, when i click normal start up and reboot no warning or notice to do so as it should, goes back to selective start up each timealso the apply button...
  5. Faulty Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faulty Keyboard: So, I had my laptop for a while now I never had any problems with it until recently most of my keys have been falling out and I can't get them to pop back in. I tried to stick them back in, most of them broke and the others won't go back in completely....
  6. Faulty Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Faulty Keyboard: So, I had my laptop for a while now I never had any problems with it until recently most of my keys have been falling out and I can't get them to pop back in. I tried to stick them back in, most of them broke and the others won't go back in completely....
  7. Faulty Mouse and keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Faulty Mouse and keyboard: My mouse has begun to freeze at random points on the day. Its getting extremely annoying and I've done everything I can to fix it. Replaced the mouse. Replaced the screen. Cleaned the tower... and even.... replaced the tower??????????????? Replaced the key board.......
  8. Faulty keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Faulty keyboard: Hi, I have a laptop where 8 of the keys are now not functioning correctly. The 3 and 4 both either display 34 or 43, the e and r both display er or re, the d and f both display either df or fd and the c and v both display cv or vc, I'm not aware of any spillages, I've...
  9. windows wont start up normally

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows wont start up normally: windows wont start up normally https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-wont-start-up-normally/aaec001d-5e47-4259-8aed-e94291690015
  10. Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Normal Start Up OR Selective Start Up: Another thread prompted me to have a look see at msconfig. To my surprise I find I'm operating with "Selective Start UP: [img] Only twice has this machine been accessed by someone other than myself, 1. A Microsoft Tech (3rd party) for Office installation and 2. A...