Windows 10: will a SSD solve my problems?

Discus and support will a SSD solve my problems? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As you know from my other posts here, I have the really slow laptop. Sure, it's an i7, but it's an older i7. It's got 6gigs of RAM and didn't use to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ironfist, May 25, 2020.

1. ironfist Win User

will a SSD solve my problems?

As you know from my other posts here, I have the really slow laptop. Sure, it's an i7, but it's an older i7. It's got 6gigs of RAM and didn't use to have any problems at all. All scans are clean, disk is 1% fragmented and it won't even let me defrag it. I'm running no extra services or anything. Lately, it's gotten to where I need to close Firefox multiple times every day because it's using all my memory and slowing everything down. Programs take awhile to load. The start menu sometimes I have to wait 20 seconds from when I click on it to when it opens. I use OpenOffice, and when I have a spreadsheet up, sometimes when I click it, I have to wait 20 seconds before it responds. Lately I've been thinking about getting a new computer, but I'd rather spend less and get an SDD. Everyone on the internet says SDDs handle all your problems, they get everything going fast again.

My Disk is often at 100%. When I close Firefox, which I do many times a day, it sits there and takes a while to close, and then after it finally stops running, Disk is at 100% for a while with Service Host: SysMain or System. Will SDD fix this or will it just give it more resources to use to 100%?

:)

ironfist, May 25, 2020
  2. dangnad2 Win User

Problem solved. DO NOT DEFRAG an SSD

ATTENTION: I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was mulling over my default browser problem when it occurred to me that on Friday night I ran Auslogics defrag program's "optimize SSD". That could be the problem.

This morning I did a system restore back to May 1st 2019 and, voila, I have my list of browsers back and Firefox is my default browser once again. Hallelujah.

I read that one shouldn't defrag an SSD but some people think it is ok. Well, I thought, what could be the harm. It is harmful.

Attention everyone: Don't fool with an SSD.*Mad

Thanks to Edwin, CmmTech and all of you for your suggestions and help.

dangnad2, May 25, 2020
  3. lx07 Win User
    Problem solved!

I already marked this solved with the solution, thanks anyways.

4. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. will a SSD solve my problems? - Similar Threads - SSD solve problems

2. Solve this problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Solve this problem: When i start this game setup this message appear and not be solved https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solve-this-problem/fa41987a-f580-41cb-aec4-47187fcfeb06
  3. Please Solve My Problem!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Please Solve My Problem!!: My laptop is fully charged but when I open zoom for around 10 -15 mins laptop completely turns off, now I had to work in zoom with my charger plugged in. Can anyone solve this problem!?...
  4. Problem solved.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem solved.: Problem solved but the site won't let me delete this post. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-solved/e8688f6b-5598-47cd-ab47-2ab5ef2721aa
  5. will a SSD solve my problems?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    will a SSD solve my problems?: As you know from my other posts here, I have the really slow laptop. Sure, it's an i7, but it's an older i7. It's got 6gigs of RAM and didn't use to have any problems at all. All scans are clean, disk is 1% fragmented and it won't even let me defrag it. I'm running no extra...
  6. solve my windows problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    solve my windows problem: I challenge is there some one who can solve my various windows 10 errors and problems cant able to update this error shows (0x80070424) cant able to use Microsoft store this error shows Code: 0x80004003 CV: CyfeuSKQOUC7nZ6M and I had deleted the...
  7. solved problem

solved problem: edit: nvm im stupid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-problem/fc63e224-e8cf-4801-ad61-947ab26d0a8f
  8. This Problem Is SOLVED.

This Problem Is SOLVED.: SOLVED. NO ANSWERS PLEASE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-problem-is-solved/e62f6692-e784-4324-9aba-eaac412a4795
  9. Problem solving

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem solving: How do I avoid these roundtable community problem-solving sites? I would rather search directly to technical guidelines to find my answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-solving/6c933c43-6c7a-4bc6-a8f9-35bc34c3229a"
  10. How to identify and solve a potential SSD problem

How to identify and solve a potential SSD problem: I have a strange issue and am beating myself to trying to fix it. My system: I'm running Windows 10 Pro X64 Version 1511 on an ASUS i7 computer System drive is an OCZ 256G SSD Second drive is a 2TB HDD Here is what is happening: -After a system boot a week ago, I...