Windows 10: Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST?

Discus and support Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Graphics displayed via the built-in graphics from an Intel CPU or a graphics card installed in a PCIe slot get initialized at boot so that you can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by hsehestedt, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST?

Graphics displayed via the built-in graphics from an Intel CPU or a graphics card installed in a PCIe slot get initialized at boot so that you can see the display prior to booting Windows. Graphics adapters that are connected via USB require a Windows Driver from DisplayLink and therefore are not initialized until Windows is loaded. However, I have no experience with native USB-C / Thunderbolt graphics. Does anyone know if these initialize at boot or will they only work once Windows is booted?

I'm looking at a monitor that has a native USB-C connection but I want it to work before Windows is loaded so I can do things like go into the BIOS without needing to connect a different monitor.

:)

hsehestedt, Mar 21, 2019

2. windows 10 monitor connection with USB

You need to use one of the following when connecting a monitor: HDMI, VGA, DVI or newer standards such as USB-C with thunderbolt.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

Hi,

Recently purchased a Razer, currently transferring files over from my ATOM RAID 2 TB EXTERNAL SSD, USB-C / Thunder-Bolt 3 Drive to another External connected via USB 3 via Windows 10.

Any time I attempt to transfer files, the ATOM RAID begins to transfer and then the speed shoots to 0 and the drive is disconnected, then re-connected on its own accord it seems.

When I attempt to run Crystal Mark Test on it, it makes the disconnected Audio as the Test begins, with the test never being able to start.

Through the only process of elimination I have, I disconnected the drive and connected it via USB 3.0, with the cable provided and tests were fine and Crystal Mark was able to begin and finish. Unfortunately I don't have any other USB-C or Thunderbolt External Devices to test the port out.

The SSD worked flawlessly on my iMac 5K Thunderbolt 3 Drive.

I have formatted the Drive to NTFS, several times but that has not changed anything.

I have perused Device Manager, but I cannot find anything in specific detailing Thunderbolt or USB-C, only USB 3.0 and the device hence also appears under a USB 3.0 nomenclature. I haven't used Windows in sometime, so I'm unsure if USB-C is labeled USB 3.0 regardless.

Attached are some screenshots.

The Drive is labeled VIOLENCE, even after failure of copying files, it remains connected it seems, or it disconnected and reconnects instantly. I hear two audibles, so I'm assuming the latter.

Hopefully I can resolve this today and hopefully it is not a Hardware Issue, my Razer Blade has been flawless otherwise

As you can see on the FINAL Image, Windows Devices labels is as USB 3.0, even though it is connected to the USB-C port

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? [​IMG]

pvalexander, Mar 21, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST?

Sapphire Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Accessories Now Available

SAPPHIRE Technology is launching today a new series of Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C accessories for both Windows and Mac users. The New lineup features products that extend display connectivity with popular HDMI and DisplayPort connectors, Power Delivery adapters for simultaneous display output and battery charging, and a traveler's 4-in-1 travel dock.

Thunderbolt 3 is a modern connector with staggering bandwidth of up to 40 Gbps. This speed of a single compact port enables users to extend the capabilities of their ultrabook and use additional peripherals, extra displays, Ethernet cards, or storage devices; and deliver power to their device at the same time. Thunderbolt 3 is an interface of USB-C that does it all.

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? HEBNJxKEs0jDtb49_thm.jpg

Dual DisplayPort or Dual HDMI dongles - extra displays for Ultrabooks
    With extremely thin ultrabooks and Apple MacBooks lacking any display outputs, users need to rely on Thunderbolt 3 port connectivity. However, monitors with direct Thunderbolt input are still limited in number and remain expensive. The New SAPPHIRE Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort 1.2 and Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI 2.0 dongles aim to address that issue. Certified by Intel and compatible with macOS, these adapters feature 2x outputs of the given type and allow users to connect two displays with up to 4K resolution @ 60 Hz. In addition, the DisplayPort dongle can drive a single 5K display @ 60 Hz with dual link (Windows only).

USB-C 4-in-1 Travel Dock - hassle-free travel connectivity
    Users don't want to sacrifice the mobility and comfort of their ultrabooks while traveling, but often need additional connectors for business scenarios - at meetings, presentations, or when only a wired network is available. Fortunately, the USB-C connector can drive multiple peripherals and SAPPHIRE today launches a convenient 4-in-1 Travel Dock to make use of that technology. Users can utilize it to extend the connectivity options of an ultrabook and get a set of extra ports. Enclosed in a stylish white casing are: USB 3.0, HDMI 1.4 (up to 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz), VGA (1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz), RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet and USB-C for up to 60 Watts of power delivery.

USB-C to HDMI or VGA display dongles with Power Delivery Charging
    Often only a single USB-C port is available on the thinnest of ultrabooks, forcing the user to choose between powering the device or connecting a peripheral. With SAPPHIRE USB-C display dongles with Power Delivery Charging, a single HDMI or VGA monitor as well as power source can be plugged to the notebook at the same time. HDMI adapter supports resolutions up to 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, while the VGA one drives 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz. Both adapters have a USB-C power input port that takes up to 60 Watts of power.

All these ports offer simple plug and play functionality and work out of the box on Windows 10, Apple macOS and Chrome OS.

All new SAPPHIRE dongles are shipping now, priced at:
    • SAPPHIRE Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI Active - $109
    • SAPPHIRE Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Active - $119
    • USB-C 4-in-1 Travel Dock - $79
    • USB-C to HDMI with Power Delivery Charging - $39
    • USB-C to VGA with Power Delivery Charging - $39

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? VChOnWgl6auAOtn4_thm.jpg

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? uBvGLiO8olvqTv7W_thm.jpg

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? rhmup6QSaQDZqnWe_thm.jpg

btarunr, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST?

1. Will a USB-C /Thunderbolt Connected Monitor Work During POST? - Similar Threads - USB Thunderbolt Connected

2. USB-c Connection to Monitor will not work on HP Spectre x360

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-c Connection to Monitor will not work on HP Spectre x360: I just two new monitors and was hoping to chain them usb-c -> Dis1 -> DisplayPort -> Dis2. Whether or not my computer can do this is yet to be seen as I cannot connect my Laptop to the first display using usb-c and HDMI does not support display chaining to begin with. The...
  3. USB-c Connection to Monitor will not work on HP Spectre x360

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-c Connection to Monitor will not work on HP Spectre x360: I just two new monitors and was hoping to chain them usb-c -> Dis1 -> DisplayPort -> Dis2. Whether or not my computer can do this is yet to be seen as I cannot connect my Laptop to the first display using usb-c and HDMI does not support display chaining to begin with. The...
  4. Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work: Good evening,I recently purchased an ASUS M16 2022. Today I attempted to use the USB-c to display port on my monitor, but when do so the monitor just displays ransoms colors. However, when I used my second USB-C, it works. Is there any driver or solution to fix this?...
  5. Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work: Good evening,I recently purchased an ASUS M16 2022. Today I attempted to use the USB-c to display port on my monitor, but when do so the monitor just displays ransoms colors. However, when I used my second USB-C, it works. Is there any driver or solution to fix this?...
  6. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket: I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3 port. I've just purchased a new HP Z38C monitor, which includes some USB ports, however, to use them a cable must be plugged...
  7. Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0

Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0: Windows Version 1909 I don't know the right terminology. My new Dell laptop has a type-c thunderbolt 3 port. I'm looking for an adapter so that I can connect an external hard drive that has a USB 3.0 connector. I've looked around but I'm not 100% sure if I will be getting...
  8. Problem with HDs connected to Thunderbolt / USB-C ports

Problem with HDs connected to Thunderbolt / USB-C ports: I have an HP laptop (model Spectre x360 15-BL012DX) that has 2 thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports. I've noticed 2 different, but likely related, odd behaviors when I connect HDs to these ports. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what cause these symptoms as I'm simply...
  9. Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

Usb - c / thunderbolt issue: Hi, Recently purchased a Razer, currently transferring files over from my ATOM RAID 2 TB EXTERNAL SSD, USB-C / Thunder-Bolt 3 Drive to another External connected via USB 3 via Windows 10. Any time I attempt to transfer files, the ATOM RAID begins to transfer and then the...
  10. Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

in Windows 10 News
    Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era: [img] USB-C has quickly become ubiquitous, and not just on mobile devices: This incredibly versatile connectivity standard is now pervasive on modern PCs as well. When combined with Thunderbolt 3, it’s nearly perfect. So much so, in fact, that Microsoft needs to adopt...