Windows 10: Will an initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another...

Discus and support Will an initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have already performed a system image back up on my windows 10 pc a year ago. Will the initial windows system image put on an external HD be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Spudd57, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Spudd57 Win User

Will an initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another...

Hi,

I have already performed a system image back up on my windows 10 pc a year ago.

Will the initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another system Back up

thanks.

:)

Spudd57, Sep 22, 2018
  2. FRN2016 Win User

Need driver to restore system image from external HD?

I just upgraded win7 ultimate 64 bits to win10 pro 64 bits. My HD is partitioned in drive C (system) and drive D (only data). In windows 7 I used the backup option to save the system image on an external HD. At least once a month, I restore the image, run
    all the updates and make a new system image. So I am sure that I get rid of any unwanted stuff that sneaked in without my knowledge. I have this habit since my Windows 2000 once crashed and I needed to install everything from scratch - that is when I got acronis to
    do the imaging.

After I upgraded to windows 10, same way, I made a system image on my external HD plus the new restore CD. To see if the restore image will work, I booted with the restore cd and external HD connected to the usb. To my surprise, the file WindowsImageBackup
    not shows on the list, like it happened in Windows 7 restore. It shows 3 options: from DVD, from network or from external HD. I chose the external HD (there is where my backup file is) and it asks me to install a driver. When I click on the button, it opens
    a window where lots of files are listed, including, I was able to search the external HD for the desired driver (so if it can access my external HD, why it not finds the image file???). All files that I chose, the restore software rejected, it was not what
    it wanted. I restarted windows and went to "Devices and Printers" to see what drivers are connected with the external HD, copied the drivers to the external HD, restarted with the restore CD, and no, no one of that drivers made the restore software happy.
    I not know what driver it is talking about. It`s frustrating!

I made another test: copied WindowsImageBackup from external HD to drive D on computer, booted with the restore CD, but it not finds the file there also, he wants me to have it on dvds, on network or, if external hd, it wants a driver installed that I not
    know what driver that is.

External HD is WD "my passport ultra metal edition 2 TB". Any idea what to do? I want to be able to restore my system images from the external HD, not from tons of DVDs that also may want, who knows, what mysterious drivers?

Has any one of you tried to restore the system image in windows 10?

FRN2016, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Ivy336289 Win User
    A Doubt about the external drive option for System Image Backup

creating system imagewill not affect the existing contents of the drive. but if you clone system to external hard drive,
    your drive will be overwritten or deleted.

Ivy336289, Sep 22, 2018
  4. FRN2016 Win User

Will an initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another...

Need driver to restore system image from external HD?

I guess I found out the problem. I plugged in the old external HD (WD-MY Book) where I have stored the system images of windows 7, there I saw a file named MediaID.bin that I not see on my new WD "my passport ultra metal edition 2 TB". I copied that file
    and put it on the new external HD, then I restarted computer with the recover CD and yes, now it finds the backup file WindowsImageBackup and I could restore this image to my computer. Hope this info helps others with same problem. I don't remember if this
    file MediaID.bin came with the old external HD or if windows 7 put it there.

FRN2016, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Will an initial windows system image put on an external HD be overwritten if I do another... - Similar Threads - initial system image

2. Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using an external HD that was encrypted by BitLocker on another machine.: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro that can encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. I am switching most of my work to a laptop with Windows 11 Home that does not seem to have capability to encrypt external HDs with BitLocker. If I encrypt an external HD with the Windows...
  3. How do I do a backup system image to another PC using the network?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I do a backup system image to another PC using the network?: I would like to backup my windows 10 laptop to an other windows 10 pc, how would I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-do-a-backup-system-image-to-another-pc/706e0396-b68e-4d6e-b43c-151696b4aaf1
  4. How do I do a backup system image to another PC using the network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do a backup system image to another PC using the network?: I would like to backup my windows 10 laptop to an other windows 10 pc, how would I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-do-a-backup-system-image-to-another-pc/706e0396-b68e-4d6e-b43c-151696b4aaf1
  5. How do I do a backup system image to another PC using the network?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk: I had a linux distro with LUKS encryption installed on my M.2 Ssd. I installed windows 10 on my hhd only to discover that the boot manager wasnt happy to stay only on the drive I allocated to it, but it also installed itself on my ssd without permission and erased my grub so...
  7. External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize

External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize: Hello, I have a 3,5 HD, from which I need to check some information. It was from an old PC I sold and kept the HD as an information backup. This HD has Windows 10 installed in it and there are Microsoft Office documents stored in it. When I plug-in the HD into a PC desktop...
  8. Extending Hard Drive with Another External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extending Hard Drive with Another External HD: I would like to extend my main hard drive on my pc with an external hard drive. currently the 2 hard drives are separate, but I wanted to make them the same location. I have run out of storage space on my C: drive and would like more space to install games from steam. the...
  9. "Another Instance is running Configuration system failed to initialize . . . How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Another Instance is running Configuration system failed to initialize . . . How do I fix this?: [IMG] The error message appears every time I boot windows up. I have tried using powershell to scan for corrupted files but it didn't work....
  10. Best file system for external hd ?

Best file system for external hd ?: Having many problems with NTFS on external usb HD (1 TB) i'm thinking to use another file system i think the options are exFAT or REFS typical use scenario: Use the usb HD on one pc (docs and work files) disconnect, use the same hd in a different PC (docs and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows system image existing may be overwritten