Windows 10: Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations?

Discus and support Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just defragged my HP laptop and when I went to restart it got this message: The following configuration change was requested for this computer's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by geoJshaun, May 22, 2020.

1. geoJshaun Win User

Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations?

I just defragged my HP laptop and when I went to restart it got this message:

The following configuration change was requested for this computer's Trusted Platform Module: Clear TPM

Warning: Clearing the TPM erases information stored on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by these keys.

Press F1 = Accept Press F2 = Reject

I read several articles and it seems that TPM is almost exclusively used to wipe the hard drive to resell a used pc as a clean machine with factory restored settings. I do not want to lose my files or post factory installed applications. That would be a nightmare for me!!!

Is this something crucial I need to do to improve my laptop's performance this is why I was defragging? There were a lot of posts of people hitting the reject option but the screen kept returning to the original request until they finally hit the accept option.

:)

geoJshaun, May 22, 2020

2. Clear tpm

Hi I'm trying to reset my laptop to factory settings and its saying clear TPM. Or configuration change was requested for this computer's TPM.

Louise Robert, May 22, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Need help on whether to clear TPM on not

It's clear as mud. As far as I can tell, it's specific to Windows, not necessarily activated programs like MacAfee, games, etc etc etc. MS Office, I have no idea.

Here's a lengthy doc on it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...initialize-and-configure-ownership-of-the-tpm

Sasqui, May 22, 2020
  4. Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations?

Clearing TPM

Hi Jolly,

Did you do a Reset, and choose the Remove Everythign option? The TPM actually clears if you do this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

Clear the TPM as part of a complete reset of the computer: You might want to remove all files from the computer and completely reset it, for example, in preparation for a clean installation. To do this, we recommend that you use the Reset option in Settings.
    When you perform a reset and use the Remove everything option, it will clear the TPM as part of the reset. You might be prompted to press a key before the TPM can be cleared. For more information, see the “Reset this PC” section in Recovery options in Windows

Let me know if this helps!

- C

Charlie Klausen, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations?

1. Will clearing TPM remove my files and post factory application installations? - Similar Threads - clearing TPM remove

2. Stuck on TPM clear after windows factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on TPM clear after windows factory reset: Hello, I wanted to factory reset my computer so i did it through windows 10 settings. After that the TPM Clear showed up and it says press F12 to enable…. And Esc to reject and continue. My keyboard lights are on but when i press f12 or esc nothing happens.. I tried power...
  3. Stuck on TPM clear after windows factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on TPM clear after windows factory reset: Hello, I wanted to factory reset my computer so i did it through windows 10 settings. After that the TPM Clear showed up and it says press F12 to enable…. And Esc to reject and continue. My keyboard lights are on but when i press f12 or esc nothing happens.. I tried power...
  4. Stuck on TPM clear after windows factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clear TPM?

Clear TPM?: Hi,I read online that it is recommended to clear the TPM in windows not bios, before a clean install of Windows 11. Is this true? Or will windows 11 automatically clear the TPM under installation regardless?...
  6. clearing tpm

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    clearing tpm: if i clear tpm does it reset my computer back to factory settings and wipe out all the files and data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-tpm/e2ac4c8c-a98e-43de-b1fd-79bf5f425b9f
  7. clearing tpm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clearing tpm: if i clear tpm does it reset my computer back to factory settings and wipe out all the files and data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-tpm/e2ac4c8c-a98e-43de-b1fd-79bf5f425b9f
  8. clearing tpm

9. clearing the tpm

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    clearing the tpm: I have an RCA small laptop with windows 10 and I wiped at clear to give to my grandson. At the end a message came up and seems to be stuck there concerning the TPM.I want the TPM to be cleared so he can enter his own information, but it seems to be stuck and wont budge. It...
  10. HP Factory Reset stuck on a clear TPM screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    HP Factory Reset stuck on a clear TPM screen.: I have a HP Laptop and tried to reset it to give to my daughter. I am now seeing a black screen with a blue box asking to clear the TPM. I have tried the F12 and the volume up and down. I have tried to turn it off but it pops back up on the same screen. My mouse isn't working...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What does clear tpm do

2. what happens whem tpm is cleared

3. should i erase tpm when reseting pc laptop to new

4. Tpm warning what happens if i clear,
  5. windows reset clear tpm or not