Windows 10: Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up

Discus and support Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an old Windows 7 laptop that has been acting up. I want to take its boot drive and hook it up to my main Windows 10 desktop via USB just to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bfollowell, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up

I have an old Windows 7 laptop that has been acting up. I want to take its boot drive and hook it up to my main Windows 10 desktop via USB just to explore the drive and see if it appears to have data on and if it appears to be corrupted. If everything looks ok, I'd plan on putting it back into my laptop and then troubleshooting more from there. It seems like I'd read somewhere that connecting a boot drive in this way could mess something up so that it wouldn't boot correctly anymore.

Any truth to that?

Thanks.

:)

bfollowell, Oct 4, 2019
  2. GSG-9 Win User

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Oct 4, 2019
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up

PC wont boot up (No POST, No Video)

I recently installed a new Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. The motherboard green LED lights up and the case and cpu fans spin. But there is no video when its hooked up to my monitor.

Steps that i have tried:
    Perform these steps before posting about POST/boot/no video problems!

Made sure all connections are properly connected.

Flashing the CMOS

Tested the PSU

Followed all steps in the user manual

If there are any links that you guys can point me to or suggestions that could help it would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mrblack761, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up

1. Will connecting another computer's boot drive to my main PC mess it up - Similar Threads - connecting another computer's

2. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  3. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  4. Drive is messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive is messed up: I don't think this requires much elaboration to be honest.I don't understand what's happening here. I highlighted all the files including greyed out ones and clicked properties. It stops here at 280gb despite my PC saying only 182gb is free whereas it should be 600gb+...
  5. Drive is messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive is messed up: I don't think this requires much elaboration to be honest.I don't understand what's happening here. I highlighted all the files including greyed out ones and clicked properties. It stops here at 280gb despite my PC saying only 182gb is free whereas it should be 600gb+...
  6. Drive is messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable boot volume error about a year ago, which I fixed by clean installing Win 10. It was ok till yesterday, when the system stopped...
  8. Boot Drive messed up? please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Drive messed up? please help!: So, I was doing the Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller, and I did all that, and it restarted and then it says “A disk read error occurred, press ctrl alt del to restart” and i don’t know what to do!!!! submitted by /u/FalconzBeast [link] [comments]...
  9. Messed Up Main Folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed Up Main Folders: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sonbun_142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvll1j/messed_up_main_folders/
  10. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi guys, So I'm no longer able to boot into my main drive, but all my files and folders on that drive still look intact. I honestly don't know what went wrong or if there is any way to fix this other than reinstalling Windows. Tried startup repair on my Windows 10...