Windows 10: Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...

Discus and support Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have to reboot my PC, and I have many photos stored inside of shortcut folders. If I copy these shortcut folders to an external hard drive, will it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NolanWhyte, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...

I have to reboot my PC, and I have many photos stored inside of shortcut folders. If I copy these shortcut folders to an external hard drive, will it also safely transfer the photos stored inside the shortcuts?

:)

NolanWhyte, Mar 13, 2021
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Mar 13, 2021
  3. #CC737 Win User
    Copying original files from shortcut location

I have a number of folders (multi level tree structure) all containing exclusively shortcuts to various files stored across a myriad of different folders. Initially I set it up this way as I was sifting through documents and sorting them for a separate project
    but didn't want to duplicate the files or lose them from their original location.

The problem is that I now (unexpectedly) need to pull those original files out and copy them to an external hard drive in the structure that I have the shortcuts in.

Is there anyway this can be achieved without opening each target file and individually copying it across to a new folder on my external drive?

Many thanks for everyone's help in advance. =)

#CC737, Mar 13, 2021
  4. #CC737 Win User

Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...

Copying original files from shortcut location

Hi Keith

This is my first time posting here, I'm far from an expert user, I don't think I've used Powershell before... But I'm game if you are able to help walk me through it (with baby steps please)!

Some extra info that maybe we'll need:

My original files are located in various subfolders on my C:\ drive

The shortcuts are in a folder split into sub folders on my D:\ drive.

I need the original files from the C:\ drive brought across to my external E:\ drive in the same folder allocation mirrored from my D:\ drive...

I've run the script and it has returned a screen just as yours did identifying all the files from Shortcut, Source and Destinatioin. What do I do now to make them actually copy to my external 'E:\' drive?

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Cheers,

#CC737, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...

1. Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut... - Similar Threads - copying shortcut files

2. Shortcuts not accessible after copying files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts not accessible after copying files: I copied a lot of my files from WindowsC: to DATAD: but then wasn’t able to use the shortcuts for some apps on my desktop receiving a message saying the file had been moved or removed and the shortcut wasn’t going to work properly any more...
  3. Shortcuts not accessible after copying files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts not accessible after copying files: I copied a lot of my files from WindowsC: to DATAD: but then wasn’t able to use the shortcuts for some apps on my desktop receiving a message saying the file had been moved or removed and the shortcut wasn’t going to work properly any more...
  4. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  5. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  6. Copying to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  7. copy command in an unattend file to just copy shortcuts to the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    copy command in an unattend file to just copy shortcuts to the desktop: Hello All, I have created a new image for our laptops that we are deploying out. In this new image I would like to copy two shortcuts to the local administrator's desktop. I have the administrator's account to be set to active under the 4 specialize section of the answer...
  8. copy paste shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy paste shortcuts not working: Hey, Recently my copy paste shortcuts stopped working, but only on my desktop and in the file explorer. In all other apps they are still working and when I rightclick on a file, then I can copy it manually and it is working. But the shprtcuts doesnt even show up right next...
  9. Can no longer move/copy files to shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can no longer move/copy files to shortcuts.: The subject says it. Windows will no longer let me drag & move or copy to a shortcut. Is there a fix? [img] 156902
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...