Windows 10: Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?

Discus and support Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys. I'm trying to help a friend swap out his SSD for an M.2 drive. He has a 500GB SSD (OS drive I want to image to the M.2) and a 2TB data drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MDiddy79, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?

Hi guys. I'm trying to help a friend swap out his SSD for an M.2 drive. He has a 500GB SSD (OS drive I want to image to the M.2) and a 2TB data drive.

His m.2 wasn't showing up in Disk Management, and after some digging, I realized he was using Storage Spaces and windows automatically added it to the pool.

Was able to remove the m.2 drive from the pool and get it in Disk Management, so that's solved, but, now I'm not sure if I can image his C drive onto the m.2 drive, as his old SSD is still part of the pool.

My question is, is it possible to just turn off Storage Spaces completely without deleting his data? I just want to go back to a regular two drive system ( OS on C and Data on D), and then swap out C with the m.2. Is this something that can be done by just deleting the Storage Pool?

Thanks all!

submitted by /u/MDiddy79
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MDiddy79, Mar 3, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

I would again ask for the screenshot so you can show exactly what you mean to be sure.

I would again point you to the tutorial:

Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

Is it the creation of a storage space and the deletion of existing data that concerns you? See then this note in the tutorial to which I have pointed you:

I.e.

To create a storage pool, use drives you expect and are happy to be wiped.
    Therefore don't include drives containing your data when doing so.

dalchina, Mar 4, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User

Storage Spaces seems not much used, and some of those who have used it have had some bad experiences.

As your experience suggests, maintaining the integrity of your disks- continuous monitoring for degradation- is vital.

MS has broken Storage Spaces from time to time, in particular when upgrading:
    Windows 10's May 2020 Update borks pooled Storage Spaces | PCWorld

A couple of users have found moving a storage space from one PC to another didn't work.

Someone's (very) personal view:
    Microsoft Storage Spaces Is Hot Garbage For Parity Storage | The Data Center Overlords

Overview:
    Windows 10 Storage Spaces vs RAID: Difference and Data Protection

Some more interesting things if you search thus:

Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks? [​IMG]

tenforums Tutorials and description:

dalchina, Mar 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?

Storage Spaces seems not much used, and some of those who have used it have had some bad experiences.

As your experience suggests, maintaining the integrity of your disks- continuous monitoring for degradation- is vital.

MS has broken Storage Spaces from time to time, in particular when upgrading:
    Windows 10's May 2020 Update borks pooled Storage Spaces | PCWorld

A couple of users have found moving a storage space from one PC to another didn't work.

Someone's (very) personal view:
    Microsoft Storage Spaces Is Hot Garbage For Parity Storage | The Data Center Overlords

Overview:
    Windows 10 Storage Spaces vs RAID: Difference and Data Protection

Some more interesting things if you search thus:

dalchina, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?

1. Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks? - Similar Threads - deleting pool Storage

2. After deleting 2.5" SATA laptop drive from Storage Spaces pool, and deleting pool, drive no...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After deleting 2.5" SATA laptop drive from Storage Spaces pool, and deleting pool, drive no...: Rebooted, no help, no sign of formerly good drive appearing in either diskpart with subsequent 'list disk', and, no trace of it in 'disk management'...As this drive is in a 5.25" Icy Dock bay, shutdown, tested another 2.5" SATA in dock, no issues. Shutdown, reinserted WD...
  3. After deleting 2.5" SATA laptop drive from Storage Spaces pool, and deleting pool, drive no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After deleting 2.5" SATA laptop drive from Storage Spaces pool, and deleting pool, drive no...: Rebooted, no help, no sign of formerly good drive appearing in either diskpart with subsequent 'list disk', and, no trace of it in 'disk management'...As this drive is in a 5.25" Icy Dock bay, shutdown, tested another 2.5" SATA in dock, no issues. Shutdown, reinserted WD...
  4. After deleting 2.5" SATA laptop drive from Storage Spaces pool, and deleting pool, drive no...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Delete a Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Delete a Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Storage Spaces, if configured on your Windows 10 device, stores two copies of your […] This article How to Delete a Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]With the Windows 10 feature called Storage Spaces, PC users can group two or […] This article How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2: I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and...
  8. Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will using Storage Spaces wipe out data already on external drive?: Windows 10 says i am low on space and suggests using Storage Spaces. I have an external hard drive with lots of space that I was going to use, rather than buy another drive. Will moving data to save space from my PC to the drive work if there is already data on the external,...
  9. Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to delete a storage pool for Storage Spaces in Windows...
  10. Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Delete Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Delete a Storage Space from Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to delete a storage space from a storage pool in...