Windows 10: Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD

Discus and support Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop came installed with Windows 8 that I upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft offered free upgrades. I have recently got one SSD in place of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ashu_tosh, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Ashu_tosh Win User

Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD

My laptop came installed with Windows 8 that I upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft offered free upgrades. I have recently got one SSD in place of the DVD and got my OS cloned to it from the HDD. Currently I have both the SSD and the HDD in my system and my system boots from the SSD by default.

My question is, if I format my HDD to recoup the storage:

1. Would the Factory reset option provided by Windows 10 still work? If not, what can I do just in case, say if my SSD goes corrupt and I can't open Windows?
    2. Could that be a problem for my Windows 10 license?

:)

Ashu_tosh, Apr 18, 2021
  2. IcyTruth Win User

Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if
    it can be avoided. The whole cloning process was a pain having to move stuff to the ssd then partition the empty space on hdd the move stuff to the new partition until I had less than 200g with the OS still there so I can clone it onto ssd after cleaning
    it. Os works fine(windows loads sooo much faster) old hdd works fine but wanna get rid of the old os on hdd without deleting anything else? Sorry so long and sadly I merged the partitions back to 1.

IcyTruth, Apr 18, 2021
  3. Cloning HDD to SSD with Windows Reset Option

I have bought
    Crucial SSD and would like to clone my HDD(HP machine) which came preinstalled with Windows 10 to SSD

i don't wont to loose Windows Reset options if things go wrong in future with my machine..

my AIM is to Boot only OS not migrate whole HDD to SSD because i can't its smaller! lol

HDD is 931GB and my SSD is 223GB

Will i be able to reset it if i have cloned only OS

Do i have to copy more partitions to SSD, to make windows reset works in future?

attaching my Disk Parts
    Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD 77c407c6-0775-4f9f-a21f-178a29fbbe87?upload=true.png

ManishLakhera(mac), Apr 18, 2021
  4. Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD

Proper way of cloning the OS from HDD to SSD

I bought a new SSD for my laptop, so I wanted to clone the OS from HDD to SSD.

My questions are....

Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD e1df0c34-f1b6-44a0-95b1-c92d08cb3331?upload=true.png

1. Should I clone the recovery and other 3 partitions to the SSD ? (C drive is obvious)

2. If I did clone all the 4 partitions to SSD, should I delete the older partitions from the HDD ?

3. Or can I clone only the C drive and use the other files from the HDD ?

Karthikbs27, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD

1. Will formatting my inbuilt HDD make me loose my Windows 10 if I have cloned OS to SSD - Similar Threads - formatting inbuilt HDD

2. Error after clone my HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error after clone my HDD to SSD?: Hi, I clone/transfer my HDD to SSD. I want to boot from SSD but I get error https://i.ibb.co/Zf1C3TQ/IMG-20210304-160641.jpg How to solve this problem? Still my HDD running fine. submitted by /u/Lacter51 [link] [comments]...
  3. Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD

Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD: I'm needed of your help, I recently got an SSD to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Lamguage, I cleaned and format the SSD and used Macrium to clone, but it showed me a window saying that I couldn't acces that folder, I changed the security and the...
  4. I have cloned my SSD to my HDD but now I can’t connect my HDD, help?

I have cloned my SSD to my HDD but now I can’t connect my HDD, help?: So I connect my Crucial MX500 and used acronis to clone. Then I turned off my computer, disconnected the Hard drive and turned it back on. My computer now runs on my new SSD, great, that was my initial goal. I tried reconnecting the HDD to use it as extra storage but Windows...
  5. HDD to SSD clone.

HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  6. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....
  7. Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD having Windows 10 to SSD: Hello, If I clone HDD having windows 10 to SSD then will it also copy the drivers and all? I am thinking to use cloning software available on internet like EaseUS, Partionwizard, etc. Can anyone confirms that If I clone then will I get everything as it is there in HDD...
  8. Real time SSD cloning to my HDD

Real time SSD cloning to my HDD: Hi, I have a specific case here, couldn't find one like this before, so here it is. I have a 2 year old laptop, although it is still pretty strong, i bought EXP GDC to power it up a little bit. Anyway, the problem is, the M.2 port i should plug the EXP GDC into, is...
  9. Cloned OS from HDD to SSD; good install? Have doubts

Cloned OS from HDD to SSD; good install? Have doubts: New Dell XPS 8900 desktop with OEM Win10 and 1TB HDD. Did all the Windows updates including a big one. Then, added a SanDisk 240GB SSD. Cloned HDD over to SSD with included Apricorn EZ Gig IV. Disconnected HDD and SSD seems to run fine. Installed a few programs and did some...
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208