Windows 10: Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ?

Discus and support Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm upgrading my samsung portable 500gb ssd and giving this one away. Will formatting it be enough to make my data not recoverable ? Quick format vs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/babygorilla90, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ?

I'm upgrading my samsung portable 500gb ssd and giving this one away. Will formatting it be enough to make my data not recoverable ? Quick format vs not quick make a difference ?

Apparently Samsung Magician only works for internal ssd's.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/babygorilla90
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/babygorilla90, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Dia01 Win User

Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

Very inexperienced with Linux and have been playing around lately with Ubuntu 17.10 successfully recovering data from a bad HDD, quite impressed by it also.

First question is. I have an old OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that has been lying around forever and want to wipe it to factory settings and install Ubuntu on it (so I don't need to run Windows side by side on my current OS drive). I'm assuming the easiest way to do this is to do the following?
    • Boot Ubuntu from USB installer
    • Select 'Try Ubuntu before you install it'
    • Open the Terminal and
    • Use the Command-line to Simple Secure Erase i.e. hdparm --security-erase PASS /dev/sdX
    My second question is, if the above will work do I then need to format the entire SSD in ext4 or does the installer by default format/partition the SSD when 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu' is selected?

Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ? 25d1eb9e8b23d55b-jpg.jpg

Dia01, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Snakeyes Win User
    Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

This process will degrade the performance of your SSD. Unlike hard drives where new information is written directly over old information with no decline in speed. SSD's are blazingly fast when writing to empty NAND. However if there is no empty NAND available the SSD process changes to a two-step approach where the NAND has to be "cleaned" and then written to. This slows down the SSD considerably. (The trim command under the windows optimize function essentially identifies the old, not needed, information and assists the SSD in pre-cleaning the NAND's so that the SSD can operate at full speed).
    The only way to completely clean SSD is through a process known as secure erase. It essentially provides a blank SSD to write on. Formatting is nothing like that and a quick format essentially clears the record of the information that is written on an SSD so that Windows can treat it like a blank SSD, but the SSD still has to go through the two-step process. The NAND's are still full of old information and are effectively cleaned during periods of non-activity. A full format on the other hand will effectively write on every single NAND completely filling the SSD. If you want to start off with a clean fast SSD, use the manufacturers software and/or other generic software designed to secure erase the SSD.

Snakeyes, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Wind10Pro Win User

Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ?

Secure SSD formatting

Thank you very much for a quick reply and your suggestions.

Apologies for not giving more details about the model: it's HP SSD S700. I've completely forgotten to turn to HP site in the first place. Here's the information I found there:

"To securely erase all user data from an SSD and restore the drive to a fresh-out-of-box performance state, the National Institute of Standards Technology supports the “SECURITY ERASE UNIT” command. (...) This command does not actually write anything to the drive. Instead it causes the SSD to apply a voltage spike to all available NAND in unison, resetting every available block of space in one operation forcing the drive to “forget” all stored data which cannot be recovered by even advanced data recovery services.".

which is followed by a 5 step instruction how to do it on HP devices provided with this command in their UEFI.

I can't understand why they make life so complicated instead of giving (like other manufacturers) a simple tool downloadable from their web page.

Anyway, I'll stick to your advice to using quick / full formatting.

Wind10Pro, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ?

1. Will formatting my portable ssd erase everything ? - Similar Threads - formatting portable ssd

2. Windows update erased everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update erased everything: Windows just updated and has wiped everything from my computer! All of my uni work is gone and so are all of my pictures. I have restarted it atleast 5 times and don't know what else to do. Please help!...
  3. Windows update erased everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update erased everything: Windows just updated and has wiped everything from my computer! All of my uni work is gone and so are all of my pictures. I have restarted it atleast 5 times and don't know what else to do. Please help!...
  4. Windows update erased everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Updated and Erased Everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updated and Erased Everything: Windows 10 updated last week unexpectedly and all of my work and apps disappeared. It took an IT expert to find most of it but some things are still not working right. For one thing, the Microsoft Store says it's there but when I click on it, nothing happens. I went to the...
  6. Windows Updated and Erased Everything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Updated and Erased Everything: Windows 10 updated last week unexpectedly and all of my work and apps disappeared. It took an IT expert to find most of it but some things are still not working right. For one thing, the Microsoft Store says it's there but when I click on it, nothing happens. I went to the...
  7. Windows update erased everything!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update erased everything!!!: Hello Microsoft Community,I'm writing to you regarding an issue Microsoft's regular updates have brought up on my PC. Last night when I was turning off my PC, windows automatically started to update some stuff. The next morning I turned my PC on again, I realized something...
  8. Erase/Format Storage Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Erase/Format Storage Space: I'm having difficulty figuring out how to erase a storage space and reformat it. Any suggestions, or links you can share? Thanks... 181631
  9. Update erased everything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update erased everything: My HP laptop did a massive update last night. When I tried to log in this morning it would not let me. I kept getting a weird message. When I finally got in all my files and favorites were gone, and all my settings changed. It was as if everything had reverted back to a new...
  10. Everything has been erased

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Everything has been erased: Ok so over the last two days there has been some sort of update that has erased everything on my computer and restarted it with a new windows. I did find everything yesterday and was able to put it everything back on my computer. I turn it back on today and everything is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does trim delete everything when you reformat ssd