Windows 10: Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR?

Discus and support Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; WARNING: Long post. This is a continuation of this thread:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Rafazain Al-Farrel, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR?

WARNING: Long post.

This is a continuation of this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9fa-9485-eee1d785e1e0?tm=1559330985374&page=2 I am starting to get quite desperate for answers, so intend to "revive" my question. The details are there, but I'll re-explain here.

So I am locked out of my computer. It happened after rebooting after I uninstalled a software called SpyHunter 5 which insisted that I reboot after uninstalling. I don't even understand how that could cause any of this. I'm now stuck on the login screen. I only have one Microsoft account for the computer. Normally I always login with my PIN, making me gradually forget my password. But now the option doesn't exist. It usually does every time I boot it up. Now the only ways I can login are two: "regular" password (with the key icon which I completely forgot) and the Microsoft account password, which I do remember so naturally I would opt for the second way. Problem is, the computer never accepts the password, no matter what I type in, even if it's right, it just wouldn't accept it. And yes, I've confirmed every single time that my password is right with the eye icon next to the password bar, but same results every time. I've tried many (and I mean MANY) ways to alleviate this:

First I tried to click the "I forgot my password" button below my username. A circle loading indicator appeared with a "Just a moment..." message, but all it ever does is refresh the login screen. It doesn't take me to any password reset screen. I've also tried it whilst being connected to my Wi-Fi, but this just makes the loading last forever. It never proceeds until my computer puts itselt to sleep and the circle indicator is gone and I'm back to where I started.

Second, I tried to change my Microsoft account password via my cellphone. I've done this FOUR times, and in between all of them the computer would accept none, even if it was connected to Wi-Fi. Odd thing is though, all four passwords work completely fine on my laptop which uses the exact same Microsoft account.

Third was to restart while pressing Shift and try the various options offered to me such as command prompt, system restore, and even PC reset. Just one problem: ALL OF THEM NEEDS ME TO PUT IN MY PASSWORD WHICH IT COMPLETELY REJECTS 100% OF THE TIME. I am once again back to the drawing board.

Fourth was to try and enter my password through Safe Mode with Networking on. But, same results. "The password is incorrect. Try again." But every try only equals massive failure.

Fifth was using a third-party software (namely iSumSoft Windows Password Refixer) via USB drive to reset my password. Problem is, the developers of the software are cheapskates, requiring me to pay Rp,350.000 (which is quite a lot for me) in order to use their full features. So I've completely abandoned that.

Sixth (which is was to burn a Windows 10 installation media to my USB drive and choose the "Repair my computer" option to access command prompt from there (system restore did not work since it keeps no point in time where SpyHunter 5 was still installed), enable the hidden Administrator account and also allowing the Ease of Access button to open utilman.exe, open NETPLWIZ once I logged in as the Administrator, and uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box. I highlighted my Microsoft account, clicked "Apply," entered my Microsoft account email address in the username field and my Microsoft account password, restarted, and... it still didn't work. "The username or password is incorrect. Please try again." That was the message that came up straight after resetting. After that there are now 3 users on my login screen: Administrator, me, and a duplicate of me which can type in a different username (for the regular password option) or an email address or telephone number (for the Microsoft account password option). Other than that, nothing has changed. All passwords still rejected. What made it worse was that the duplicate will be gone if I leave the login screen hanging for too long.

Seventh (and this is the closest I've got so far) was to open NETPLWIZ again, but this time I went to the "Advanced" tab, opened the LUSRMGR window through an available option down there, opened the "Users" folder, selected my Microsoft account, clicked "More actions," and then clicked "Set password..." Problem is, I am presented with this scary warning:

Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR? [​IMG]

Now I am VERY tempted to opt for this one, but that warning is holding me back. I keep a lot of my important data (which consist of games, movies, and a variety of apps) in a drive separate from C (the main drive which has System32 in it). But I also happen to keep lots of my university material in my Documents library and also all of my songs in my Music library , which are all in C. I am afraid any of these would be compromised should I continue further. So should I? Or is there a better method? I am considering reinstalling Windows 10 via that USB drive, but that is of lower priority compared to this one. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post and thank you very much.

:)

Rafazain Al-Farrel, Jun 2, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Microsoft Account Password Reset

Thanks for the reply, but it does not help me. The website does not proceed past step 4. After entering the security code, the website does not proceed to step 5. It does not give an error message, it simply greys out the next and cancel buttons and hangs
    indefinitely.

Reset your password

If you can't remember your password, follow these steps to get into your account.

• Go to the Reset your password page.
    • Choose the reason you need your password reset, then click Next.
    • Enter the email address you used when you made your Microsoft account. This could be any email address, or an email ending in a Microsoft domain like hotmail.com or outlook.com.
    • Enter the characters you see on the screen (this lets us know you’re not a robot), then click Next.
    • If you've added security info to your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.
    I'll try your "Get account help by email" suggestion and post the solution here when I've found one.

Donovan de Swardt, Jun 2, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR?

Cannot access my User Account on local machine but can access Admin account. Need help finding password but NOT reset it as it will delete saved data.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you reset the local account password it will not delete the Saved data.

I suggest you to back up the saved data and files from the admin account and try to reset the password and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

• Press Windows + R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Reset Password.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR?

1. Will I be able to keep my data if I reset my Microsoft account password from LUSRMGR? - Similar Threads - able keep data

2. Someone keeps trying to reset my Microsoft Account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Someone keeps trying to reset my Microsoft Account password: I've received 30 messages in the past year, similar to the one below - I'm assuming someone is trying to reset my password; the frequency to me suggests it is not "by mistake". Any advice appreciated.Hi {name of account}We received your request for a single-use code to use...
  3. Someone keeps trying to reset my Microsoft Account password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Someone keeps trying to reset my Microsoft Account password: I've received 30 messages in the past year, similar to the one below - I'm assuming someone is trying to reset my password; the frequency to me suggests it is not "by mistake". Any advice appreciated.Hi {name of account}We received your request for a single-use code to use...
  4. How can I reset my Microsoft account password?

How can I reset my Microsoft account password?: I forgot my password to this my Microsoft account and do not have another email address or phone number associated with this account. And I also do not remember the password for the associated Gmail account. How can I reset my password?...
  5. How can I reset my Microsoft account password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reset my Microsoft account password?: I forgot my password to this my Microsoft account and do not have another email address or phone number associated with this account. And I also do not remember the password for the associated Gmail account. How can I reset my password?...
  6. how can i reset my microsoft account data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i reset my microsoft account data?: i want to delete my data from all microsoft apps and services,without deleting my microsoft account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reset-my-microsoft-account-data/620f223c-1a34-4788-bbe3-d977e29f6a21
  7. how can i reset my microsoft account data?

how can i reset my microsoft account data?: i want to delete my data from all microsoft apps and services,without deleting my microsoft account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reset-my-microsoft-account-data/620f223c-1a34-4788-bbe3-d977e29f6a21
  8. how can i reset my microsoft account data?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account: Split from this thread. Hello,I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account which he uses to play Minecraft. I have been at it for 10 days now and I am only getting responses from automated systems which state that they cannot confirm my identity and I am getting...
  10. I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account

I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account: Split from this thread. Hello,I need to reset password for my sons Microsoft account which he uses to play Minecraft. I have been at it for 10 days now and I am only getting responses from automated systems which state that they cannot confirm my identity and I am getting...