Windows 10: Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the icon

Discus and support Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the icon in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the Upgrade to Windows icon? I know my laptop is compatible with Windows 10, I had the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by piplupturtwig, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the icon

Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the Upgrade to Windows icon? I know my laptop is compatible with Windows 10, I had the icon before I installed and reverted back to Windows 7 and 10 multiple times. I'm going to upgrade via the ISO, will I be activated or do I have to wait until the icon shows up? I'm also fully updated to the latest Windows 7 and there's no more updates for me to install.

:)

piplupturtwig, Aug 2, 2015

2. If I upgrade to windows 10 how will I be able to do a total system recovery ?

When you click the Start globe, then Help, then look for help on System Image then you will get far more detailed instructions than I could possibly post.

Frederik Long, Aug 2, 2015
  3. JimMaulus Win User
    If I upgrade to windows 10 how will I be able to do a total system recovery ?

How do I create an image?

JimMaulus, Aug 2, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the icon

You should have no issues in this case. It's not necessary to have the Windows upgrade ICON to get Win10 to activate. I didn't have it and my copy of Win10 activated. It took a few hours before it did but it did.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    You're welcome and I hope the upgrade goes well.

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

One Caveat --the current system you are upgrading FROM MUST BE ACTIVATED -- and legally too -- a lot of people have been trying to get "Freebies" by using dubious activation methods found in some of the well known places. Those methods WON'T activate the W10 you update to. A legal activation has no problems.

I'm sure in a few weeks Ms will sort all this stuff out

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Yes, go ahead and upgrade by installing Windows 10 on top of your Windows 7.
    After this is done and Microsoft has activated the upgrade, then do a clean install of Windows 10 by re-installing and formatting the drive.

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

The OP doesn't have to do that. From my experience the upgrade process is much better than before and it's not as necessary.

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

IMO the best way is to CLEAN install (with updates) the OLD OS, activate it and then do a W10 upgrade - that's almost as good as a clean install -- then add your programs etc.

One advantage of this is that sometimes an old W8.1 driver for example will continue working on W10 whereas on a NEW CLEAN W10 install you might not be able to get a W10 driver.

I had experience of this with the built in SD card reader on a laptop -- upgrade from W8.1 to W10 in the way I suggested was fine. When I tried the OTHER way (clean install after wiping the HDD) I couldn't get the SD card reader to work properly (you had to keep removing and re-inserting the SD card).

Doing a CLEAN install of the ORIGINAL OS removes all the rubbish and sorts out the activation problems -- I'll bet over 90% of people having activation problems one way or another either didn't ACTIVATE the old OS properly first (none of those "KMS Activators") or simply got the upgrade via the media creation tool and went straight away for a Clean install.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    With all of the testing I've done from upgrading from one preview build to the next I've not had a single issue that a clean install was really necessary. I can agree that overall it's a nice thing to do but it can be rather time consuming if you have lots of apps/software to re-install when you do the clean install.

Just my preference not to do a clean install at this time.
    Again YMMV

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will I be activated if I upgrade to Windows 10 if I don't see the icon - Similar Threads - activated upgrade don't

2. I don't see "Reset This PC"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't see "Reset This PC": Hi. I'm having a big problem here. I was try to fix my computer and was think about resetting it when it toll me that it rebooted so many time that it couldn't fix the problem. So I decided to reset it. I presses f1 click on troubleshoot. and instead of letting my to the...
  3. I don't see "Reset This PC"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I don't see "Reset This PC": Hi. I'm having a big problem here. I was try to fix my computer and was think about resetting it when it toll me that it rebooted so many time that it couldn't fix the problem. So I decided to reset it. I presses f1 click on troubleshoot. and instead of letting my to the...
  4. I Don't See Months

in Cortana
    I Don't See Months: Hi there! Why do I not see months? I was trying to convert days to months.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-see-months/e717702b-cf18-48a8-946a-43df9e3ec621
  5. I don't see the wifi option in windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't see the wifi option in windows 10: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/YoUnGDaGgEr_999 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k1wcwm/i_dont_see_the_wifi_option_in_windows_10/
  6. i don't see any Bluetooth drivers icon in device manager in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i don't see any Bluetooth drivers icon in device manager in Windows 10?: I don't see any Bluetooth driver icon in my device managerEven in hidden devices also. How can I reinstall it. My details are as follows. please help.[ATTACH]...
  7. I don't see the touch screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I don't see the touch screen: Hi, I don't see the touch screen on my laptop, CHUWI LapBook. Is there a way I can install it? Thanks DA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-see-the-touch-screen/9a06c994-07fd-4244-bc69-a5b1a8800700
  8. I don't see the wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't see the wifi: In my lapto I do not see the Wi-Fi that is nearby to connect to me the first time this happens to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-see-the-wifi/63294876-fe8b-4441-9ff8-ba57062880af
  9. Recycle bin I don't see

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recycle bin I don't see: I can not find the recycle bin, I can not see it anywhere. how can I get it? I delete a file and I need to recover it from there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-i-dont-see/e90051bd-61b4-4d1d-b9ab-27c97a7991d3
  10. I don't see the exclusion option

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I don't see the exclusion option: I'm trying to add exclusions in the Windows Defender, but I don't see the option anywhere. Can you please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/i-dont-see-the-exclusion-option/4cd67d70-fb40-40c2-8e17-ef8b2aad221b"