Windows 10: Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS?

Discus and support Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I want to enable Legacy Boot Mode to do something, but I don't know if enabling Legacy Boot Mode instead of UEFI will do anything to my current... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rednax35, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Rednax35 Win User

Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS?

So I want to enable Legacy Boot Mode to do something, but I don't know if enabling Legacy Boot Mode instead of UEFI will do anything to my current installation of Windows 10?

Will it be fine? Or will I have to reinstall the OS?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Rednax35, Sep 4, 2018
  2. grumby Win User

Unable to enable Secure Boot as UEFI BIOS is running in Legacy mode

I have Windows 10 Insider preview installed on a custom built PC with an ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 UEFI motherboard. The motherboard carries the Windows 8 ready logo, meaning it supports Secure Boot and has a UEFI BIOS.

When I installed Windows 10, I did not realise that the motherboard was actually running in Legacy Mode by default out of the box for the on-board devices i.e. the HDD, DVD USB are all running as traditional BIOS devices and not UEFI BIOS. Windows shows
    that the BIOS is running in Legacy Mode and that Secure Boot is not supported.

If I go into the BIOS settings, I can see that the Secure Boot option
    IS
    enabled, but Windows still shows that it is not supported. I tried changing the Boot devices to prioritise UEFI drivers first and reinstalled Windows (as a clean install is required if you want to enable Secure Boot), however Secure Boot was still
    not enabled and Windows still it shows as the BIOS as running in Legacy mode. I then tried switching off Compatibility mode within the BIOS settings, however after doing this no boot devices were detected, so I could not attempt to install Windows 10 again,
    either from USB or DVD.

Switching the compatibility mode back on allowed me to boot back into Windows.

I cannot find a way of turning off Compatibility Mode in the BIOS and still having boot devices available to install Windows from.

I have tried everything I can think of to get this working, but without success. I would like to have Secure Boot enabled as it is a important security measure and the reason why I purchased the motherboard I did when building my PC.

Please do not copy and paste replies asking me to disable my antivirus etc. or check for malware, then mark my question as Answered, as the Microsoft "helper" bots normally do!

Thanks!

grumby, Sep 4, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I just found out I'm running at "Legacy" boot mode.
    Are there any downsides running my Skylake system in "Legacy" boot mode?

I don't really want to reinstall windows.
    Also I have no problems with my SSD, speeds are as they should be.

Just booting up my system takes some time, maybe it just would be faster booting with UEFI?
    My Asus Gaming laptop is booting up faster.
    If thats the main difference *Oh Well Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS? :eek:hwell:

P4-630, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS?

Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

I tried all that is suggested by HP but it makes no difference, the Legacy mode simply refuses to stay put. I always ensure that the settings are confirmed before exiting the Setup but that's just it ... the machine always goes back to Secure Mode. Annoyingly,
    prior to the iOmega software being installed and the consequential failure to boot, I could set the PC to boot into Legacy mode with no problem if I chose to.

Watchman-34, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS?

1. Will I have to reinstall Windows 10 if I enable Legacy Boot Mode in my laptop's BIOS? - Similar Threads - reinstall enable Legacy

2. Why is my BIOS stuck in legacy mode when i TPM enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my BIOS stuck in legacy mode when i TPM enabled: I am trying to play a game using TPM 2.0 however my pc is stuck in legacy mode even though the pc has TPM 2.0 enabled and can be seen within the system information and are unsure on how to put the bios into UEFI mode or get the pc to recognise that the pc is in UEFI mode....
  3. Why is my BIOS stuck in legacy mode when i TPM enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my BIOS stuck in legacy mode when i TPM enabled: I am trying to play a game using TPM 2.0 however my pc is stuck in legacy mode even though the pc has TPM 2.0 enabled and can be seen within the system information and are unsure on how to put the bios into UEFI mode or get the pc to recognise that the pc is in UEFI mode....
  4. HP Laptop Booting and Legacy Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Laptop Booting and Legacy Mode: Hello I have a hp laptop with no OS on it, i formated the drive. I was trying to install the OS using windows media creation tool which i put on a USB but when i plugged it to my laptop and turned it on, it still said "no bootable device found insert a boot disk". I tried...
  5. Legacy Mode enabled but Windows still boots into UEFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Legacy Mode enabled but Windows still boots into UEFI: I Have legacy support enabled in bios but Windows still boots into UEFI mode. And I need windows to be in legacy to make some changes. Is there something I am missing. I tried using bcdedit to change the boot manager to boot into the non-uefi version. But that didn't work....
  6. I have to enable Legacy setting in BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have to enable Legacy setting in BIOS: Hi, My laptop was reformating when it got interrupted by power outage last year. Since then, whenever I turn it on, I have to manually enable Legacy by pressing ESC then F10 which is really a lot of work. Is there anyway I can fix this? [Original Title: Legacy]...
  7. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  8. i confused with my bios mode, it's said uefi but have legacy partition

in Windows 10 Support
    i confused with my bios mode, it's said uefi but have legacy partition: [img] so as can you see in the picture it said uefi bios mode but when i checked to disk management it have a legacy partition. it is even possible? and how i could change the partition to uefi partition? for information i instaled windows 10 on disk 1 if that helps thanks...
  9. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...
  10. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI: I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely similar to the issue that the older Sound Blaster Z cards had several years ago where they were not recognized on many, but not...