Windows 10: Will i need my windows 8 key when 10 comes out?

Discus and support Will i need my windows 8 key when 10 comes out? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am running along the builds and wonder if ill have to use my windows 8 product key to activate, and if you think its going to be possible to update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hal0freak, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Hal0freak Win User

Will i need my windows 8 key when 10 comes out?

I am running along the builds and wonder if ill have to use my windows 8 product key to activate, and if you think its going to be possible to update to the full Windows 10 (From The Last Build That Will Be Released Probably RTM) without doing a clean install (Though i have not decided if ill wipe or not i am aware its what would be recommended)

:)

Hal0freak, Apr 27, 2015
  2. Vinnyk84 Win User

Windows 10 - is reinstall possible if MB is replaced

Hi,

So i build/upgrade gaming Pc's for my self every 2-3 years and i was wondering the following.

Currently i have a quad core. Waiting for a 8 core down the road to come out. I know i will need to replace the motherboard when this happens.

Will i be able to use my same windows 10 key that was upgraded from my windows 8 key or will i need to purchase a windows 10?

I'm concerned as i did just do a motherboard replacement recent and i had to call Microsoft to get the key validated again. as the motherboard became faulty.

Vinnyk84, Apr 27, 2015
  3. Rus T Win User
    Can I now clean install Windows 10 without going through the upgrade first step?

Thanks, Greg.

One question, it's not so related to this, but I need an answer

So I am considering to upgrade to Windows 10, however in case of emergency, I need to go back to Windows 8 as my laptop comes with Windows 8, not 8.1, when it first came out.

I looked for the ISO here

Software Download

Apparently, ISO only for 10, 8.1, 7

If I understand correctly, 8-> 8.1 Update 1 is from Windows Store, and then 8.1 Update 1 -> 8.1 Update 2 is from Windows Update

And if I understand correctly, Windows 8 key (which is in my BIOS) is not the same as 8.1 key, and therefore if I install 8.1 directly on my laptop, it will not activate because my key is for 8, not 8.1

So how do I clean install 8.1 if I need to go back? I don't want to do system image backup because my windows 8 from OEM is bloated and I need to clean install anyway.

Thanks.

Rus T, Apr 27, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

No official information has come out from MS yet and everything is speculation up to this point.

BunnyJ, Apr 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Will i need my windows 8 key when 10 comes out? - Similar Threads - need key comes

2. Letters that I key in occasionally come out backwards. Why? Window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Letters that I key in occasionally come out backwards. Why? Window 10: I was inputting a question on Bing just now. This is how it appeared: [ATTACH] It's happened several times recently. Not just in Bing but also when I'm keying in in the Community. Any suggestions please for what I should do to stop it happening? TIA....
  3. I need my product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need my product key: I put new keyboard in and need recovery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/2778917b-34af-429c-9939-a90f5f7820f7
  4. I need my pass key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need my pass key: I need my pass key from micrsoft. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-pass-key/3df40090-4460-45d8-bfcf-fb0c51acbbfe
  5. I need my product key

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need my product key: I cant find my product key. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-product-key/48b3d79b-80f5-411c-99f1-fdbb1e878572"
  6. I need my windows 10 active keys

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need my windows 10 active keys: I need my windows 10 active keys * Original title: hi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-my-windows-10-active-keys/fac9b67d-1b6b-4004-b7fe-d0a1fe835004"
  7. I need to know when will my activation key get expire ??!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need to know when will my activation key get expire ??!: I need to know when will my activation key get expire ??! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/87bc14cb-5d28-44bc-9132-84788bf2290f"
  8. I need help with my windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need help with my windows 10 product key: I bought a prebuilt computer and windows isnt activated and the windows product key isnt scratching. I have treid using a screw driver to scratch and it still wont scratch. I need help. [IMG]...
  9. i need to got my activaton code windows 8

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i need to got my activaton code windows 8: Dear Gent, after several trying to downgrade my os to original IOS win8 … we need to re install windows but we need activation code. kindly check the below detail we have. Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga13 Model Name: 20175 Mo:R39y33220904 P/N : 59368211 mfg date: 13/02/20...
  10. Can i use my windows 8 serial key in windows 10 ??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i use my windows 8 serial key in windows 10 ??: Can i use my windows 8 serial key in windows 10 ?? THANKS FOR THE ANSWER.. 74169