Windows 10: Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation?

Discus and support Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Because my current Windows installation seems to have issues that are beyond fixing (http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...tml#post517811), I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daniel Burgess, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation?

Hi,

Because my current Windows installation seems to have issues that are beyond fixing (http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...tml#post517811), I plan on reinstalling Windows 8.1 though the ISO Installation Media Creation tool.

However, I have already reserved my upgrade to Windows 10. After reinstalling Windows, will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Obviously I'll have the same product key.

However, if for whatever reason the installation media doesn't work, I intend to wipe everything from my PC and install Windows 7 from my original OEM installation disk. Will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 from there? Obviously this installation will have a different key to my Windows 8.1 installation. Will I still be able to upgrade for free in this instance?

Someone else I was talking to about this also advised me to ask about compatibility with UEFI. Obviously, Win10 will want UEFI but 7 will install as MBR? Will this cause problems?

Thanks.

:)

Daniel Burgess, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Vasudev Win User

Will I still be able to upgrade to Win 10?

Yes, Free upgrade offer is from 29th July, 2015 to 29th July , 2016

From Windows 10 FAQ:

"Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting
    July 29, 2015.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."

Vasudev, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Earnestz Win User
    Will I still be able to upgrade to Win 10?

So, if I buy and install Windows 7/8/8.1 after July 29, will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10?

Thanks for the help

Earnestz, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation?

As well as that, will I have to install other updates before I install 10?

5. Mystere Win User
    There are already dozens and dozens of questions about this. Please use the search function.

The "reservation" is only a tool used to perform the upgrade. If you have a legal consumer version of Windows 7/8.x you are eligible to upgrade it as many times as you want on the same hardware.

If you want to use the automatic upgrade, you will have to install all service packs and patches. You can bypass this by using the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO and install the upgrade from that.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  6. I'm very sorry. I did look, but obviously not hard enough.

That's great. Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question.

7. Also, Daniel...if you don't have a product key, you can get it by downloading a small utility called "produkey" ; usually downloaded via CNET. When you run this, it'll give you your product key which is all you need in case it asks for it during installation. Good luck.

cuddyver01, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation?

Thanks.
    Windows 8.1 has successfully reinstalled itself, and it isn't corrupted - yay - so I'm installing Windows 10 now though the Media Creation tool.

I didn't get asked for a key, and it says Windows is activated, so everything must be alright. (I did, in fact, get my key from Belarc beforehand, just in case.)
    Thanks anyway.

Daniel Burgess, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation?

1. Will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 after a reinstallation? - Similar Threads - still able upgrade

2. Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 11 after downgrading to 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 11 after downgrading to 10?: Hi , I downgraded to windows 10 using media creation tool because I lost the "Go back" option after the 10 days limit , but will I still be able to upgarde to windows 11 after downgrading?...
  3. Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 11 after downgrading to 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 11 after downgrading to 10?: Hi , I downgraded to windows 10 using media creation tool because I lost the "Go back" option after the 10 days limit , but will I still be able to upgarde to windows 11 after downgrading?...
  4. Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 11 after downgrading to 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Will I still be able to use the recovery options after upgrading to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I still be able to use the recovery options after upgrading to windows 11?: Alright so Windows 11 is out and I want to upgrade however if something goes wrong with the installation I will have to reinstall Windows which is a problem because I have an OEM version of Windows and I don't think installing the drivers for my PC is possible because it was...
  6. Will I still be able to use the recovery options after upgrading to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will I still be able to use the recovery options after upgrading to windows 11?: Alright so Windows 11 is out and I want to upgrade however if something goes wrong with the installation I will have to reinstall Windows which is a problem because I have an OEM version of Windows and I don't think installing the drivers for my PC is possible because it was...
  7. windows reinstall after upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows reinstall after upgrade: Hello I upgraded from windows 8.1 --> windows 10. I am having to try certain things as the HDD is completely slowed down If I remove windows completely for a while and installed another OS , can I reinstall windows 10 later as a fresh install and MSFT will recognize the...
  8. Will I still get Win10 after reinstalling?

Will I still get Win10 after reinstalling?: The laptop in question was bought in 2014, with either Win7 or 8.1 (can't remember exactly), then upgraded to 10 when it was first offered as a free upgrade. Now I want to wipe it and reinstall Windows. Will I still be able to get 10 again, free? 128059
  9. Reinstall Windows 10 after upgrade

Reinstall Windows 10 after upgrade: I used to have Win 7 and it was upgraded to Wİndows 10 for free previously. Now I'm going to upgrade some of my hardware, install a new pair of RAM and add an SDD. Therefore I need to reinstall windows 10 for the upgraded PC but I do not have a KEY for Windows 10 as it was...
  10. Windows 10 Settings still there after reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Settings still there after reinstall: Hi, I have changed multiple settings on windows 10 but whenever I reinstall it, and I log in using a Ms account the settings are still there. It's like it saves them. such as opening a folder in file explorer it will open in a new window so I know the settings haven't...