Windows 10: Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

Discus and support Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Edit: I was able to upgrade to W10 Pro RTM and activate. The responses below that say this is not possible are wrong. Mentioned here also Build 10240:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

Edit: I was able to upgrade to W10 Pro RTM and activate. The responses below that say this is not possible are wrong. Mentioned here also Build 10240: Did you get assigned a license/product key? : Windows10

Hi, I have a laptop with OEM key in the BIOS which shipped with W8 Core and I installed W10 Pro TP Build 10162.

Will I upgrade to W10 Pro? Or will I upgrade to W10 Home? Thanks.

:)

nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015
  2. peterjax Win User

W8.1 pro upgrades to W10 Home

My laptop, running W8.1 pro was upgraded to W10, but the version is W10 Home. How can I revert back to W10 Pro? Why did it not upgrade to W10 Pro initially?

peterjax, Jul 27, 2015
  3. When will I be able to upgrade from W8.1 Pro to W10 Pro?

The upgrade process will find you eventually. Please be patient.. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home? :)

Mike Hall... always, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

You will get the Home version

5. Because...?
    And you know this how?

Just wondering because I've read W10 will upgrade to whatever variant you have currently installed/activated and I currently have a Pro version of Windows installed and activated, it's W10 TP Pro, but still Pro...

6. Slartybart, Jul 27, 2015
  7. But I'm not on Core, I'm on W10 TP Pro, and what I'm asking and I haven't read anywhere if this makes a difference or not.

I understand if you assume this will be the way it works, I'm asking if this is the way it works.

8. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

Please - this is no assumption.

You have a Technical Preview License installed on top of a Win8 license or.. you did a clean install of the Preview release.

If you want the free production release upgrade , you will get Win10 Home - that's all I have and it is well documented.

Slartybart, Jul 27, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    You could also opt to stay an Insider, and continue using W10 Pro as an insider

10. Berton Win User
    Most of my Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1 that qualify for the free Win10 Upgrade will be the home/core version, only 2 will get the Pro version and that's all I expect from the Upgrades.

Berton, Jul 27, 2015
  11. Since W10 isn't officially released and I haven't read any FAQs that deal with this specific question I "wonder" how you "know" this the case.

I also wonder how long I will have to wait to upgrade to W10 because I'm not an insider.

12. Mystere Win User
    Why do you ask questions when you refuse to accept the answers? Just seems kind of pointless to ask if you won't believe what the answers are.

Mystere, Jul 27, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

Unless MS have a change of hart, this has been documented many times. You'll need Bing or Google to see all of it.

CountMike, Jul 27, 2015
  14. Zinn Win User
    So let me get this strait, W10 upgrade is for home only, what about all the pro version out there, is there and upgrade for this, not finding anything for this..

15. labeeman Win User
    Nope if you have Pro you will get Pro if you have Home you will get home.

labeeman, Jul 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home? - Similar Threads - upgrade W10 Pro

2. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  3. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  4. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot upgrade W10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade W10 Home to Pro: Hello, I got a refurbished laptop with Win 10 Home and wanted to upgrade it to Pro. I purchased an OEM license and could try to activate it, but I get 0xC004F090 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run ... I tried to use a generic...
  6. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  7. Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro

Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro: I am thinking about upgrading to W10 Pro but I have a question. I have 3 computers and they are all about 7 years old so in your opinion would this update be beneficial or should I just buy a new one. Thanks 162616
  8. Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?

Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?: I'm needing a workable procdure for this upgrade. Since its been a long time since I purchased a NEW manufactured system (usually build all my own desktops), I know little in what form the machine will be in at power up. Some history first: I have just purchased a Lenovo...
  9. Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure

Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure: But not in the usual way - the Store would not accept the digital license for the W10 Pro I had purchased to do the upgrade - it offered me W10 Home again. So I tried using a physical disc for W10 Pro and it started fine and went online to collect update files to install....
  10. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...