Windows 10: Will installing a new SSD on a BSOD crippled laptop fix it

Discus and support Will installing a new SSD on a BSOD crippled laptop fix it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP laptop running Windows 10 home no longer boots after suffering from a BSOD months ago which I never managed to resolve after many hours of effort... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ronfrew, Feb 28, 2021.

1. ronfrew Win User

Will installing a new SSD on a BSOD crippled laptop fix it

My HP laptop running Windows 10 home no longer boots after suffering from a BSOD months ago which I never managed to resolve after many hours of effort and reading tutorials etc. I am now going to replace its 256Gb SSD with a new 1Tb SSD then clone the old drive onto the new drive. But will the new drive still suffer from the BSOD issues of the old drive or should I do a fresh install of Win 10 onto the new drive and then move or transfer the files and programs from the old drive, the ones I want to keep, onto the new drive. What do you think guys grateful for any advice.

:)

ronfrew, Feb 28, 2021
  2. X-PhilS Win User

Z Book BSOD with Second SSD Drive

Hi all

I have an issue with an HP Z Book. It is a new Generation 6 device and came with a pre-installed second SSD drive.

All worked fine until I tried to put our corporate image onto the primary OS SSD.

Firstly, the new OS installed onto the secondary SSD rather than the primary.

So I disconnected/removed the secondary, recreated the partition on the primary and loaded our stock OS.

The machine now works absolutely fine, as long as I do not try to re-introduce the second SSD drive.

If I reinstall this, the machine boots up OK for a second or two and then BSOD's.

Can anyone suggest the reason for this issue - the BSOD message reported a kernel error.

Any ideas on steps to take to resolve this?

Thanks

Phil

X-PhilS, Feb 28, 2021
  3. BSOD for corrupted hal.dll on new laptop with fresh Windows 10 installation

Hello,

Today I bought a new laptop HP Pavilion Power 15-cx0034nu and install Windows 10. The laptop has SSD and HDD and I install it on the SSD. When I try to install Chrome the laptop freezes and after 20 seconds
    in this state, it gives me a blue screen(screenshot attached).

BSOD screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j44aRtsUm99duBiW6

I try to install 3 different steps(Pro, Home and Home with 1 language) but every time when is in idle everything is ok but with little stress and it freezes.

One of the times I was able to install all drivers without freezing and I decided to start AIDA64 just to see if it will freeze with some stress and it does almost immediately.

I attach 3 snips from dumps related to this BSODs:

Snip1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KYMNdBbWhGAQWGaX6

Snip2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iJtfJigf1Zjm9VXUA

Snip3: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZrxA853qsmon13v37

What is your opinion about this situation and is there a hope to be something different than a hardware issue? Is it normal to have corrupted hal.dll after a fresh install on a new laptop?

Please help me fix the issue if it is possible.

PetyoDimitrov, Feb 28, 2021
  4. mketh Win User

BSOD srttrail.txt, no fix, installed W10 on different SSD, how to fix it on original SSD?

Hey guys,

Two days ago I encountered BSOD srttrail.txt. I tried to fix it in many different ways, tried everything described here:

How to resolve Srttrail.txt BSOD error on Windows 10?

no luck. I tried to repair system from bootable pendrive with W10, didn't work neither, it said that it needed to be done from the operating system level.

Finally I plugged new, empty SSD and installed new copy of W10 there. So at this point I have C: with new W10 instalation, that I can access and D: with broken W10 installation causing BSOD srttrail.txt.

Is there any way to fix W10 instalation on D: from operation system being booted from C:? All W10 options that I can see refer to the copy installed on C:.

I'd really like to fix somehow installation from D: without loosing data, programs, apps etc. I know that the last resort is to format D: and make a clean instalation there, but I'd prefer to avoid this.

Thanks for your time!

mketh, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Will installing a new SSD on a BSOD crippled laptop fix it - Similar Threads - installing SSD BSOD

2. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  3. Install new M2 SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install new M2 SSD in laptop: Hello, decided to upgrade my laptops SSD. I physically installed a new M.2 SSD on my laptop on the only slot there is or where the old one was. I have a windows installation media in a USB and when I boot up the laptop, the windows install screen comes up but when I get to...
  4. BSOD’s after installing new SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD’s after installing new SSD?: Hello!I recently installed a new SSD into my Desktop PC due to my original boot SSD running low on storage and now it only boots up to a BSOD.Stop code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFOIt ran perfectly fine for the first week or so, but now it simply won’t let me into my PC.I unplugged...
  5. BSOD’s after installing new SSD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD’s after installing new SSD?: Hello!I recently installed a new SSD into my Desktop PC due to my original boot SSD running low on storage and now it only boots up to a BSOD.Stop code: BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFOIt ran perfectly fine for the first week or so, but now it simply won’t let me into my PC.I unplugged...
  6. BSOD’s after installing new SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Resetting my Laptop and Installing to New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting my Laptop and Installing to New SSD: Hi,I wanted to do a factory reset to my laptop and reset my pc. I have two drives installed in my system. What I wanted to know is when I Reset my PC, will I be able to choose which drive I want to have my Windows installed in?...
  8. BSOD after New ssd installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD after New ssd installation: Hi Guys. I have an inspiron 5578 laptop from dell. Its hdd had 448 bad sectors, so i decided to install a 2.5 inch sata ssdcrucial mx500 in its place. I've tried installing fresh os, oem image, resetting from recovery drive, but no matter how i install it, i end up getting...
  9. Abrupt BSOD after installing a new SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Abrupt BSOD after installing a new SSD: Hello, I recently installed a new SSD on my Windows 10 Pro PC and I have been getting abrupt BSODs when running a specific game. Said game is Escape From Tarkov, its a first person shooter that uses a launcher and its only online. The SSD I installed is a gen4 pci m.2 nvme,...
  10. Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows on new SSD in a laptop: My laptop has a 512GB hard drive and I just bought 1TB SSD to use for the OS and all my games. There is an open spot for the SATA SSD so I know there will be no issues there. I want to know the procedure to move the OS to the new SSD while still having the hard drive for...